Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Smoking in Bedroom With Carpet? - Given an Ultimatum!

(26 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by pipenscotch
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

So I'm still living with my parents, and they've given me an ultimatum considering my smoking. As of late I've been delegated to smoking either in my car - a shitty chevy which totally takes away the pleasure of smoking a pipe for me - or outside, where it's biting cold. I've been talking to them lately about smoking inside, and my bedroom came up. It would be the only place in the house where I could smoke indoors. It has carpet, and is where all my clothes are kept. How many of you guys smoke in your bedroom? Would something like a Lampe Berger be able to take away some of the scent from the room? How would it help with the smell sticking to the carpet and my clothes?

It's either this, or smoke in my car or outside, where winter lasts for 10 months of the year where I live. All advice would be appreciated.

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I usually do not smoke in the bedroom, I have before with no real lingering smell. I do smoke inside and find that pipes are not nearly as smelly as cigars. If you smoke a lot inside, maybe cracking a window, if possible, just to vent out a little smoke would help.

I do have a lampe berger, and enjoy it a lot. It does seem to cover up/neutralize some of the smokey smell. However, I would be careful using it in a smaller, confined space. I smoke in our living room, and while it's not huge, it is spacious enough and I'd bet larger than the room you are considering using a lampe. The scent may quickly overpower the room, although you can fix this by cutting the oil with 91% iso-alcohol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

You might consider one of those smoke eater candles. I use one and it does a pretty good job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

FYI my bedroom is where my tv, computer, and books are, so it's king of like my pseudo-man cave. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is the smoke clinging to my clothes. While I know if I was to smoke in my room, my clothes would inevitably smell a little like smoke, how does the pipe smoke differ from cigarette smoke in that respect?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

A vent fan is highly recommended. Amazon should have something suitable for the window. Hi velocity cooling fans can be quite small and adapted to your purpose -- so give electronics outlets a try too.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoke is much less intrusive than cigarette or cigar smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sit beside the woodstove and that seems to allow me to smoke inside without too much problem. You can try one of those air cleaners that sit beside your table. They seem to help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I took over an unused bedroom since I don't like smoking in the house. I bought one of these and have no lingering smoke problem. Even the wife commented it was working great. Room has carpet and drapes.

fan

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

How many of you guys smoke in your bedroom?

I don't think this is a good idea. You already stated all the reasons why I wouldn't ever want to smoke in my bedroom. Add to all that is that smoke sticks to everything; over time, it progressively gets worse. Also, since it's your bedroom, your clothes, your stuff, you need to realize that you can only detect about 20% of how really badly your stuff smells to others. Lamps and air cleaners help a bit, but do not come close to eradicating the smoke problems, IMO.

The garage, a closed in porch, or shed (if you have one) are a good places to smoke. My smoking at home takes place in an unheated windowed deck. A good space heater keeps it warm enough most of the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on the garage. The bedroom is a fine place to smoke if you can ventilate and have sented candles (and smoke nice smelling aromatics), otherwise it is not such a good idea. My spot is the porch which is plastic screened off, making it warmer with no wind, but still below freezing temps. The car is only good if your driving somewhere, if you tamp with a finger, you can keep it lit pretty good (requires some skill not to burn yourself).

Smokers face many challenges as they generally can't smoke in any apartments or houses of any kind now. Even if the landlord permits it, local laws are now starting to ban it. My advice, get a cob and learn to smoke on the go (like in the car), few people get the pleasure of smoking in their room even during the summer time.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on a Lampe Berger, and crack a window.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

depends on how serious you are. Install a vent fan and you will have no more problems and no need of smelly candles to cover up the smoke which just leaves you smelling like smelly candles and smoke. Even a cheap bath fan will work. Install it in the ceiling and vent it outside. just put a dryer vent on the outside wall and pipe your bath fan to it. click 'er on while smoking and voila, smoke evacuation. Either that or move.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What worked for me while I was living in another city for work last summer was a small air purifier. Put in on full blast about ten minutes before smoking and left it on high until about ten minutes after smoking. Then I just had it down to the lowest setting and let it run for a few hours. I didn't have any problems with the room or my clothes smelling like smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my home office, which sits at the lowest level of the house, so that smoke rises throughout the rest of the structure, I use a product called "Bad Air Sponge." It's non-active, doesn't require any oil, lighting or wick; just sits there like, well, a sponge, and does a good job of absorbing smoke and odors.

It's available from Amazon as well as, I'm sure, from others, and costs only 12 bucks. At that price you can put a few of them throughout the house. Just Google "bad air sponge."

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is probably a good idea not to smoke in your bedroom as your clothes, bedding and carpet will smell. With that said, I smoke in a carpeted room (not a bedroom). I know the smell will enter the carpet and pad and coat the inside of my computer. I have set a schedule to clean my computer every three months. I know some day I will need to repaint the walls and replace the carpet but I am willing to sacrifice one room in order to smoke my pipe in warmth and comfort.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

if you smoke a few times a week, it really shouldn't be a problem as long as you crack a window and fan.

If you smoke everyday, I'd advise against it. The more of "anything" is not going to help with the lingering smell.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll smoke in my bedroom, but I don't give a crap about the carpet (going to put in oak when I remodel next year) and don't care whether my clothes stink like tobacco...I wear 'em, and I stink like tobacco anyway, so it's not like anybody will notice, but if they did, again...don't care.

Do like these guys said, use fans, deodorizers, etc. or suck it up and smoke outside. Parent's house, parent's rules, it's only fair.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'd abide by your parents rules. If they are non-smokers, and you smoke inside the house, anywhere, they will smell it. All the fans and deodorizer in the world won't change that.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. auspipe

auspipe

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my room all the time. No issues with lingering smell or smoke sticking to clothes or ceiling. I just crack a window, turn on the computer and some music and enjoy. Smell hangs around for about 30 mins then all gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@auspipe Sounds too good to be true, with me, both windows open, fans full blast, sented candles and all, takes 2 days for it to clear out completely...

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Like I said, "non smokers" will notice in a heartbeat.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suggest the garage or shop as well. I definitely wouldn't smoke in my room. I smoke in my shop, aka man cave, and I open both windows and use a fan and it still smells. It always smells. I like the smell, but I wouldn't want that smell to be in my bedroom.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure if the bad air sponge would work - but worth a shot. Put one in the closet and one in the room.

Then get an exhaust fan and smoke next to it. Odds are, from my own experimenting with smoking indoors, your room and clothes will reek pretty badly unless you only smoke in there occasionally.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like I said, "non smokers" will notice in a heartbeat.....

Agreed. I'm new to smoking, and I can still definitely tell when I've been at it. I only smoke outdoors, or in a smoking lounge - and I usually go through a whole cleaning cycle when I'm done. I enjoy the aroma and taste of pipe smoke while I'm smoking, but once the smoke gets stale, I really don't much care for it.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry if this is repeat info - only read the 1st half of the comments....

I used to live in my parents's basement and smoke, before that an apartment in Ohio in which I smoked, and now my apartment in Chicago (much smaller than either of my past 2 living arrangements) where I still smoke. All have fabric couches, some or lots of carpeting, my bed, my clothes, my TV, computer, and books. SO - I have found little issue with smoke smell on my clothes. I don't know the science behind smell, but I'm fairly comfortable with the understanding that the thing that leaves the lingering scent is when smoke particles actually cling to fabric. If you leave your clothes lying around in heaps around your room, they may get lingering scent. However, if you keep them in your closet and dresser, they should be OK.

That being said though, smoke gets around, and smell gets around even more. Your parents may find that while you are smoking in your enclosed room - they can smell it elsewhere. This is like smelling cookies that are downstairs baking. Once the baking is done, the cookies will still smell good, but not the rest of the house. Just because they smell your smoke downstairs WHILE you smoke, the smoke particles aren't down there clinging to stuff, so it will go away once you're done. However, if you smoke often inside, your room will start to pick up a new aroma.

I always keep my window fan in and on exchange (1 side in, 1 side out). Often I open a second window as well....yes, in the cold of Chicago Winter! Fresh air is the best defense against lingering smoke smell. That being said, I'll more often than not get a candle burning while smoking (definitely if the second window is shut on days that are just TOO cold!), and if I notice it's getting bad, I'll run the lampe berger for a bit when I'm done.

All of this definitely helps, but if you smoke a lot, like I said earlier, the particles of the smoke cling to the fabric, so the only thing that will really get the lingering smell gone, is shampooing the carpet and cleaning the furniture! My parents's basement still smells like a smoke lounge because I haven't gone back and taken the time to do this. I have gone back and taken the time to smoke more! As far as this smell vs cigar or cig smell, however, I say you shouldn't worry to much about linger. I like pipe smoke - and so do you! So, when you come in your room and it smells of pipe smoke, Hooray! I have found (and it could be due to the windows, candles, etc) that pipe smoke, even when it lingers, doesn't rot and get that terrible moldy nasty smell you find in homes of old folks who smoke cigs. As for cigars, I like cigars too, and I will smoke them inside. Their scent almost always makes itself known for a day or two, but by day 3 or 4 has faded away behind the pipe smell.

Another note, even with a lot of pipe smoke clinging to your carpet and furniture, a burning candle or lampe berge (check the square footage of your room for how long you need to run it) does clean the AIR really well, and make the place smell great for a time. So if someone's visiting your room, give one a go. Once they're gone and the air recirculates, the smoke particles in the fabric will still be giving their scent off, but you can always cover them up again if you'd like. I normally just cover them with the aroma of a freshly lit pipe!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my bedroom all the time and I have carpeting in it. I don't care what it smells like or what my cloths smell like. I spray Ozium quite a bit and that kills most of the smell. I have been using Ozium since the 70's and it can be bought at Walmart in the car department where they sell car fragrances. It is amazing stuff and I only use the original scent.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   petes03, instymp, tbradsim1, coalsmoke, cosmicfolklore, toby67, conlejm, pruss, fmgee, mirain, tfdickson