Smoking in Bedroom With Carpet? - Given an Ultimatum!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
So I'm still living with my parents, and they've given me an ultimatum considering my smoking. As of late I've been delegated to smoking either in my car - a shitty chevy which totally takes away the pleasure of smoking a pipe for me - or outside, where it's biting cold. I've been talking to them lately about smoking inside, and my bedroom came up. It would be the only place in the house where I could smoke indoors. It has carpet, and is where all my clothes are kept. How many of you guys smoke in your bedroom? Would something like a Lampe Berger be able to take away some of the scent from the room? How would it help with the smell sticking to the carpet and my clothes?
It's either this, or smoke in my car or outside, where winter lasts for 10 months of the year where I live. All advice would be appreciated.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
While I usually do not smoke in the bedroom, I have before with no real lingering smell. I do smoke inside and find that pipes are not nearly as smelly as cigars. If you smoke a lot inside, maybe cracking a window, if possible, just to vent out a little smoke would help.
I do have a lampe berger, and enjoy it a lot. It does seem to cover up/neutralize some of the smokey smell. However, I would be careful using it in a smaller, confined space. I smoke in our living room, and while it's not huge, it is spacious enough and I'd bet larger than the room you are considering using a lampe. The scent may quickly overpower the room, although you can fix this by cutting the oil with 91% iso-alcohol.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
You might consider one of those smoke eater candles. I use one and it does a pretty good job.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
FYI my bedroom is where my tv, computer, and books are, so it's king of like my pseudo-man cave. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is the smoke clinging to my clothes. While I know if I was to smoke in my room, my clothes would inevitably smell a little like smoke, how does the pipe smoke differ from cigarette smoke in that respect?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I sit beside the woodstove and that seems to allow me to smoke inside without too much problem. You can try one of those air cleaners that sit beside your table. They seem to help.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I took over an unused bedroom since I don't like smoking in the house. I bought one of these and have no lingering smoke problem. Even the wife commented it was working great. Room has carpet and drapes.
fan

41R1W4PTK0L._SX450_.jpg

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1 on the garage. The bedroom is a fine place to smoke if you can ventilate and have sented candles (and smoke nice smelling aromatics), otherwise it is not such a good idea. My spot is the porch which is plastic screened off, making it warmer with no wind, but still below freezing temps. The car is only good if your driving somewhere, if you tamp with a finger, you can keep it lit pretty good (requires some skill not to burn yourself).
Smokers face many challenges as they generally can't smoke in any apartments or houses of any kind now. Even if the landlord permits it, local laws are now starting to ban it. My advice, get a cob and learn to smoke on the go (like in the car), few people get the pleasure of smoking in their room even during the summer time.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
depends on how serious you are. Install a vent fan and you will have no more problems and no need of smelly candles to cover up the smoke which just leaves you smelling like smelly candles and smoke. Even a cheap bath fan will work. Install it in the ceiling and vent it outside. just put a dryer vent on the outside wall and pipe your bath fan to it. click 'er on while smoking and voila, smoke evacuation. Either that or move.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What worked for me while I was living in another city for work last summer was a small air purifier. Put in on full blast about ten minutes before smoking and left it on high until about ten minutes after smoking. Then I just had it down to the lowest setting and let it run for a few hours. I didn't have any problems with the room or my clothes smelling like smoke.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
In my home office, which sits at the lowest level of the house, so that smoke rises throughout the rest of the structure, I use a product called "Bad Air Sponge." It's non-active, doesn't require any oil, lighting or wick; just sits there like, well, a sponge, and does a good job of absorbing smoke and odors.
It's available from Amazon as well as, I'm sure, from others, and costs only 12 bucks. At that price you can put a few of them throughout the house. Just Google "bad air sponge." :puffpipe:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
It is probably a good idea not to smoke in your bedroom as your clothes, bedding and carpet will smell. With that said, I smoke in a carpeted room (not a bedroom). I know the smell will enter the carpet and pad and coat the inside of my computer. I have set a schedule to clean my computer every three months. I know some day I will need to repaint the walls and replace the carpet but I am willing to sacrifice one room in order to smoke my pipe in warmth and comfort.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
if you smoke a few times a week, it really shouldn't be a problem as long as you crack a window and fan.
If you smoke everyday, I'd advise against it. The more of "anything" is not going to help with the lingering smell.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd abide by your parents rules. If they are non-smokers, and you smoke inside the house, anywhere, they will smell it. All the fans and deodorizer in the world won't change that.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I smoke in my room all the time. No issues with lingering smell or smoke sticking to clothes or ceiling. I just crack a window, turn on the computer and some music and enjoy. Smell hangs around for about 30 mins then all gone.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@auspipe Sounds too good to be true, with me, both windows open, fans full blast, sented candles and all, takes 2 days for it to clear out completely...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I suggest the garage or shop as well. I definitely wouldn't smoke in my room. I smoke in my shop, aka man cave, and I open both windows and use a fan and it still smells. It always smells. I like the smell, but I wouldn't want that smell to be in my bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.