PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

essy

Lurker
Sep 4, 2013
I just bought a new truck a couple months ago and I'm hesistant to smoke in it. I smoke in my garage and outside, so no residual smell in the house. What will it smell like in a year? Is it worth it to just not do it?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I believe it boils down to how often you plan to smoke in your vehicle. I smoke once a week or less in my car and you can't tell. Obviously everyday smoke exposure will leave the telltale clues. On longer trips I find a smoke while driving is very enjoyable and relaxing. It breaks up the monotony.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I hate smoking in my car.I don't do it and I don't allow anyone else to.Ashes everywhere.Burn spots in my carpet,and seats.The windows all smoked up..YUCK..I have a picture in my mind of me driving with a pipe in my mouth,and my air bag deploying...Now that I've made myself sound like a senile old coot..I'm sure that many of you enjoy smoking in your car.I fully support your right to do so.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke in both of my cars and when I am done I spray Ozium. You could never tell I smoke in the car Ozium works that well. I buy it in the automotive department at walmart. It is in the air freshener section and I only buy the original scent.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I never worry about "resale" value. When I buy a vehicle, I plan on driving it until it absolutely dies. I smoke all I want in my truck. For me, it's a truck. Not supposed to smell good. Especially mine, when one considers all the blood that's been inside it from many great hunting trips (from transfer by my clothing)!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
As far as resale goes on any vehicle, you should always get the car detailed before you sell it and any recon guy will shampoo the rugs and interior if it is cloth and get any smells out of it so that should not dissuade you from smoking in your car. Smoking in my car allows me to drive at a much slower pace and to not get pissed when people do stupid things on the road. It is a great stress reliever.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I get 90% of my smoking done in the car. I have a 45 minute commute to and from work, which gives me a lot of time to enjoy my pipe. Also, I have never had an issue with residual smells as I always keep the windows open to let the smoke escape.
One recommendation, get the pipe packed and lit before pulling out. It is a very large and unsafe distraction trying to pack or light a pipe while driving, especially in rush hour traffic.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't smoke in my vehicles for two reasons. One my wife would kick my butt as I have two boys that I haul around, and two my travels around town are short. Its only 10-15 minutes to work, and most other places I go are only about 10-30 minutes away so its not really worth it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
puffy makes a good point: take precautions against having an air bag drive a pipe into your head.

Also, use a lighter that will go out if you should happen to drop it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Ah, perhaps ya should have bought a convertible. :lol: In all seriousness, Ozium works wonders and definitely have a vehicle detailed before resale.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
always smoke in my truck.. I pack and light one large cob and pack a second and stash it in a cup holder.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I smoke in my truck especially during ice fishing season. Smoking a pipe helps me stay warm. When I am in my car my wife is usually with me so I don't smoke out of consideration for her.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I smoke in my car on weekends. I'm only a few minutes from work so I don't have time during the week. I usually smoke C&D's Crooner in the car. I have yet to have anyone complain about the smell.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I lease my cars for three years eAch and I smoke almost every day with a thirty minute commute to and from work
My wife and I have separate cars. She absolutely hates the smoke smell but its my car and she leaves me alone about it
WHen returning the lease, so far I've had no challenges with the return...at least so far
When I get a new one I usually wait a couple of months until the new car smell disapates- then I start again
If there is traffic or whatever, I am very calm smoking and am very relaxed

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
For those who wish to smoke in their cars but would like to eliminate the smoke odor, I recommend the following:
http://www.csonka.com/beta/popup_consumer_autopurifier.html
I have one in each of my cars, though I never smoke my pipe in the car (too awkward) and smoke a cigar only infrequently in either ... I bought them after being in a one-year old truck belonging to a friend of mine who smokes a cigar in his truck daily ... his wife, who I know to be highly smoke-intolerant, does not object to riding in the truck ...
Honestly, they work ...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Go for it! My trick is I have an airtight thermos in my car, it has a cup and then a large plastic with rubber stopper that makes it airtight. I use the cup part as an ashtray and when I'm done, I just tap the ashes and anything else into the thermos and seal it back up, cup and all. My car doesn't smell like smoke for very long, I usually spend a couple minutes airing it out as I drive with the windows down, the next day it smells completely neutral, no air fresheners even needed.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
I smoke just about every morning in my car on the way to work. Living in Los Angeles my commute to work is anywhere from an hour and 10 minutes to sometime as much as 2 hours on a bad day. My MM cob filled with Morning Drive Time is the only way I can tolerate it. Plus my car is a lease so after 3 years, not my problem :).

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't smoke in the "main" car, because my wife would kill me. But "my" car I smoke all the time, crack the window and have an air freshener. I have no plans on selling it for years and I'd be trading it in so smoke wouldn't be a factor anyways. If at some point it did become an issue, a professional detail would take care of any smell. As I always have my classic heavy metal on 11 when driving, when I get looks from people, just throw up the rock horns, smoke and jam on!
Forever (should be the typed rock sign, but doesn't allow backslash *sigh* so image one there) m/
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.