PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Just received my Cutty, made by Uncle Arthur:

6ede75e9-1.jpg

The workmanship is fantastic. The bowl is tall, and canted slightly away from the face. Approx. a Dunhill 2 size, but the tobacco chamber is deep and narrow. The draw hole is exactly on target at the bottom of the bowl, and a long pipe cleaner passes through easily. Unlike other Cutty pipes I have seen, this bowl is delicate, tapering at the top with an inward bevel around the rim, and slightly wider at the base like a brandy. The stem is acrylic, and fits well in the teeth. The pipe is light weight, and clenches easily despite it's length. The inside of the bowl is not stained. There is one pinpoint sand pit on the starboard side, the only flaw in an otherwise stellar finish. Photos do not do this pipe justice.

I prepared the pipe by running a tiny bit of vodka through the pipe with a pipe cleaner, and followed with a dry cleaner.

I decided to start off with Home and Hearth Magnum Opus, a light English. I used a three pinch and stuff method to load, and tamped lightly. Using a match, I lit up, and enjoyed a comfortable 35 minute smoke with only one relight towards the bottom. Overall, the draw was easy, there was no bite, and the tobacco flavor was full and unsullied by chemical or wood. The pipe was easy to sip, and the smoke cool. The bowl did not heat up excessively, remaining comfortably warm though to the finish.

This pipe is great, and comparable to any Peterson or Savinelli. I smoked it twice more in the same day, and was rewarded with a comfortable smoke each time. I was even comfortable driving with it. This one is well on its way to being a favorite, and is suitable for the paper thin cake I tend to maintain in my pipes. Thanks, Uncle Arthur, this pipe is a winner.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Rigmedic, congrats on your new addition. Looks fantastic :clap:

Uncle A congrats on a beautiful job. :worship:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Rig, this looks like a GREAT pipe! I do disagree, though, that it is "comparable to a Peterson or Savinelli". A hand-made pipe of this caliber is, I believe, far SUPERIOR to virtually anything made in a factory.
One question... as this is a new pipe, why swab the interior with vodka?

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
" far SUPERIOR to virtually anything made in a factory"
Well an interesting question.I think that a factory made is frequently better than an hand made pipe.When an hand made could be superior? In shape details and finish.So these parameters must be all at the top to be superior

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Great looking pipe, I would love to see more pictures of it if that is possible. Very beautiful work!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
More pictures:

cd811105.jpg

c201894d.jpg

d8468505.jpg

I have enjoyed many pipes over 30 plus years, so my comparisons are limited to my experience. This is a great pipe, IMHO, and it was hand made at my request. That alone makes it the best pipe in my collection., which is mostly Petersons, Savinellis, and Edwards.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The little wax drip smoked really well, too. Tried it today, great for a short smoke. You have some talent there, Uncle. BTW, I swab every pipe I get, new or old, because you never know what might have crawled up there, lol. First time I ever bought a tobacco house pipe, the owner swagger my pipe for me, and advised me to do the same on every purchase. I also rub a lil spit around the rim every time I light up. Old habits, lol, old habits.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
SUPER! I usually stick a cleaner through a new pipe just to chase out any rattlesnakes or what ever. 8O

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
They look great! That wax melt look was what influenced my part-rust Jason Gone did for me. Both it and the cutty look super!

Status
Not open for further replies.