PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I have read that many of you have ritualistic methods for loading, lighting, and even choosing what pipe and Tobacco you are going to smoke.

Many have favorite pipes, and even "go too" tobacco. Some have certain paraphernalia that you must have with you. X number of pipes, and prescribed volumn of tobacco.

I guess I may have some that I dont recognize, but I dont seem to have any such quirks.

So if you are one of these guys who do. Would you please enlighten us as to the reason behind the maddness.

Do you have;

That certain place at your home?

That one pipe that just tickles your fancy?

The toby that when nothing else will do this is it?

The step by step loading packing and lighting method?

The dos and don'ts in your own way?

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Regarding tools, I have a tamper that I favor (a gift from another forum member when I was new) although if I don't have it on hand, it certainly doesn't ruin the experience.
I am least of all particular about which pipe I use. I used to covet nicer pipes but have found that I enjoy my cobs and Mr. Brogs more often than not. I take comfort that they are inexpensive and easily replaceable if I damage them.
For me, the most important part of the relaxation that I derive from smoking my pipes comes from the ritual. The sitting in my spot (a bench on the front porch), loading my pipe with whatever tobacco I've chosen that day, packing the first third of the bowl and tamping, packing the next and tamping again, etc..., the charring light, the relight, and then sipping away.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I smoke my meer before bed with some night cap mostly because it's the pipe and tobacco on my nightstand.
Cobs in the shop because they have become my working pipes; usually with whatever bulk or OTC I have on hand.
My cheapo brylon (smokes better than it looks) in the car because that's basically where it lives and I won't care if I accidentally drop it out the window. (although it would probably easily survive) Usually an OTC pouch because it's easier to transport.
Finally my rotation of briars I smoke thoughout the house with whatever tobacco I am attempting to enjoy simply because I have the time to do so.
Sadly my clay pipes have been neglected with the exception of being historically acurate at the renaissance fair last weekend. I went with hobbits weed... Figured it would be fun.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That certain place at your home? I smoke everywhere in my home and also outside on my front porch and back lanai.
That one pipe that just tickles your fancy? I honestly have too many that smoke incredibly well and I really cannot just pick one or two.
The tobacco that when nothing else will do this is it? Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake although Stonehaven is a close second.
The step by step loading packing and lighting method? I am very picky about my prepping my flakes and cube cut all of them. I use a 4-5 step loading method making sure I have some good resistance before lighting up. I always get a good charring light so that the finish light takes very little time.
The dos and don'ts in your own way? I do things my way that I have found works best for me, not to sure if they are do's or don'ts. I am fastidious in how I clean my pipes after a bowl. I always clean my pipes the day after I smoke and never the same day. I feel that the cake needs time to cool and harden and it works for me. I always break in a pipe by filling it to the top and smoking it normally. I only break in my pipes with flakes that I enjoy smoking and not with something that might build cake quicker. I am always clenching my pipe and therefore am sipping and keep the bowl pretty cool. I never go anywhere without my pipe cleaners because nothing is worse than having a pipe jam up and then I cannot finish the bowl. I have pipe cleaners in my car and all my kids cars so in case I forget they have some. I have my one spot where I cut my flakes, I use the same scissors every time, I use the same space to dry my flakes. Every other weekend I make my two sons do deep cleanings on my pipes, they each have to do 5. All in all I am a creature of habit.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I dont seem to have any such quirks.
I resemble that remark!
Three+Stooges.jpg

For me, the whole thing is a bit of a ritual. I don't bow before my pipe stand and say a few words - but I do enjoy the whole process of choosing a pipe, filling a bowl, lighting, etc. It's not exactly a ritual, but in some ways I guess it is.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
That certain place at your home? - My upstairs office and smoking room. I only smoke here and on my front deck.

That one pipe that just tickles your fancy? - My Gourd Calabash. I have a Stanwell Silver S that is a close second.

The toby that when nothing else will do this is it? - McClelland Beacon and Solani Aged Burley Flake.
The step by step loading packing and lighting method? - Depends on the tobacco cut or flake. I like to gravity feed tobacco in thirds and tamp for the right draw. Flakes I either cube-cut or rub out.
The dos and don'ts in your own way? - I like to smoke a clean pipe. I clean my stems with everclear after each smoke. I also disinfect the bit. I like softie pipe bits (adult pacifiers) as I can clench my pipe and not worry about damaging my stems.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
That certain place at your home? - Back porch
That one pipe that just tickles your fancy? - Ropp Supreme Cherrywood or MM Diplomat.
The toby that when nothing else will do this is it? - GLP Cairo for a long slow smoke in a briar.
The step by step loading packing and lighting method? - Standard thirds method.
The dos and don'ts in your own way? - Softie bits, OTCs with bourbon, English with a dry cider or perry, VAs with tea or brandy.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The closest thing I have to a ritual is getting up in the morning, heading to my Adirondack on the back porch, and starting the day with a pipe and a coffee. I have taken to smoking a Virginia blend in my Peterson Grafton 9mm filter pipe, sometimes watching the sun rise, sometimes reading the news on my iPad. If I am lucky, I get to end the day in the same place, but smoking an English blend in one of a dozen pipes I have set aside for those, and a glass of whiskey. The middle of the day is always up for grabs, pipes and tobaccos.

I am enjoying some Beverwyck in a Dr. Grabow, enjoying a cool afternoon rain, as I write this.

Status
Not open for further replies.