PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmakalidude

Lurker
Mar 7, 2018
Hello. My name is Elijah Hutchinson and I am a beginner pipe smoker. I enjoy smoking my pipe as I find it meditative and relaxing but I have a couple of concerns regarding technique. I enjoy the aroma and process of smoking a pipe rather than the taste and I wonder if it is frowned upon to puff on a pipe by breathing outwards through it to keep it burning rather than drawing the smoke into your mouth. It seems to be easy enough and to be totally honest, I think that it looks very classic and cool. Is it acceptable to smoke a pipe by puffing out through the pipe and enjoying the aroma rather than drawing the smoke into your mouth? I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. (for reference, I'm smoking a briar pipe with an American herbal and aromatic blend.)

Well, no one can tell a cowboy how to ride his horse, but when you see one riding side saddle backwards down a potholed trail, he'd better prepare for some staring and chuckles... and, you'd better prepare for burn holes in your shirt from blowing hot ash all over yourself. Ha ha.
You don't like the flavor? Maybe try new blends. It takes new pipe smokers a while to find their genre.
You might also just tie some whole leaf into a smudge stick or burn it on a charcoal block that huka smokers use while just walking around with an empty pipe... just a suggestion. :puffy:
But, give whatever a try, and report back. Maybe make a video, I'd watch it, ha ha.
I hope these help. There aint no rules to pipes, but there are some curious pipers in the mix, ha ha.
Welcome to the forum. Try new things, and take our comments and suggestions with a grain of salt, as we are known as a chuckling bunch. But, we're mostly harmless.

May 4, 2015
That's like cooking a pound of delicious bacon to make your house smell like heaven and then dumping the meat in the trash can.
I mean... do what you want, but I suggest mailing me your unwanted bacon instead. ;)
Welcome.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
The room note is for other people to enjoy or not. Keep smoking and trying different blends and you will find some that taste good to you. Then you will enjoy smoking the traditional way...........

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Well, this is a weird one I must say and as Cosmic said, think grain of salt.
It may taste better if you put some nice tobacco in the pipe and not some herbal cherry or whatever it is. What does herbal actually mean? Seriously, try some other tobaccos but if you're just trying to look classic and cool while smelling nice then I suggest a 3-piece suit and a scented candle.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
The taste ends up being the whole reason we smoke so I suggest, like the others, try different tobaccos until you find one you like. Others wise you'd be better off buying a nice smelling cigar like cherry and let it mostly burn away.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Elijah H....
Do what ever you want. It's your pipe and your tobacco. Have fun your way, and on your own terms. If you must, breathe outwards, if sniffing, rather than smoking your favorite tobacco is your pleasure. Just, do it....and don't worry about what others might think. But cosmic is right....be prepared to burn some holes in your shirts from the hot ashes.
But even if you eventually learn to enjoy smoking a pipe the "traditional" way, the experience of smelling your own tobacco will never be the same as those around you who who are smelling your tobacco. "Room note" is usually appreciated by those who are doing the sniffing, not the smoking.
I actually asked a similar question. I wanted to smell, to experience, the aromas of my own tobacco. I asked if it was possible to light and burn a small amount of my blends without actually smoking it. Forum members suggested that I burn a small pile of tobacco on a charcoal block, almost like one would burn incense. However, I do enjoy smoking my pipes, the ritual, and everything else that goes along with pipe-smoking. But I know I will never smell my own tobacco in the same way as others smell it.
Enjoy! Life is short...
Frank

NYC

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
I use a hanging brass incense burner with Presbyterian mixture on the charcoal. Down to three tins a week.

fmakalidude

Lurker
Mar 7, 2018
Part of it is health concern. I'm more comfortable drawing in a tobacco free herbal mix because of the greater health risk of tobacco. I know that the risk is low but I enjoy the ritual of packing the pipe while reading my bible. I'm a young man (21) and I'm concerned about doing more harm to my body than is necessary. That's why the herbal blend. I enjoy it just as well as some middle shelf pipe tobaccos I've tried.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you are sucking smoke, you are sucking carcinogens. Makes no difference if you are burning tobacco, cinnamon, rubber tires, a camp fire smoke, a hibachi, or herbs. All the carcinogens are being absorbed into your mucus areas, mouth and nose. If you inhale into your lungs you are now impacting those organs. But, that's true with anything you burn and then take into your system.
So, you might as well enjoy a tasty blend in a pipe.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Warren took the words out of my mouth. These are the kinds of conversations one ends up in down the local. I had this argument with a couple recently and it's not an isolated incident. They insisted their "Jamaican Woodbines" and clove cigarettes were harmless and because it was "herbal" and grew out of the earth it could even good for you. They were seemingly oblivious to the fact that tobacco is also a plant. I explained, much in the same way as Warren that burning anything is dangerous and they were lying to themselves but they flat out refused to have it. They really believed their own steaming bull evacuations and apparently, I was the ignorant one.
Honestly fmakalidude, if you're going to put something in your pipe and burn it then I highly recommend tobacco. Much of it tastes really very good so you just have to find one you like. If it worries you that much then it's probably not for you.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Sounds like you like more the ritual around packing, holding, puffing than anything.

So just do that if you like to do so and live your life.
I personally like to pour myself a non-alc whiskey in a fancy crystal glass and sit with my books; Like the ritual of holding and sniffing the liquid.

Dressed like Mr. Hugh Hefner of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.