Smoking Etiquette?

(33 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by sparrowhawk
  • Latest reply from pappymac
  1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fifteen years ago this question would have been downright silly. But now it has to be asked, to wit, if you are with someone in, say, an outdoor Park,does a pipe smoker have to ask for permission to light up? L

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. If they can't get away in the time it takes to pack and fire up a pipe, they don't deserve to escape!

Aah, just kidding. It's always polite to ask; usually the worst I get is, "Oh, no, I don't mind the smell of a pipe at all! Cigarettes, though..."

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't hurt, but then it may depend on the blend your smoking. Most non-smokers like the aroma of an aromatic blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, but I don't ask permission for most things I do.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless we were sharing a bench I see no reason to. I'm taking on faith that it is legal to smoke in the park.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have to? No, but it'd be a courtesy, somewhat rare today.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a police officer advise me that it was illegal to smoke in a public park, so I glanced at the pile of cigarette butts at my feet, and wordlessly moved over a scant two meters where it was legal to smoke

Eric
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would have to say it depends on the situation. In a place like a park or someone's back yard at a picnic I would ask if they minded. At my house I can only suggest people who mind tobacco smoke move up wind of my location.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it is legal then you obviously don't have to, but I think what you are after is whether it is right to? In that case, I would say yes. If the person is close enough to where you are hanging out that your smoke is going to be up in their business, it would be polite to ask. If you are just walking by someone or whatever, I like to just take my pipe out of my mouth or at least not puff it to minimize any secondhand smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. stranger

stranger

Login to Send PM

I ask if they mind, but I typically know my audience well enough to assume their response. If I were to light up in my own yard, I wouldn't do it around children but the adults can find another place to stand if the smoke is bothering them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke on walks through public parks. But when I'm about to pass someone on the trail I wold the pipe down and avoid puffing until we've passed and they're not likely to smell the pipe. I try to err on the side of respectful, even if they'd likely not mind. For me, smoking is a private contemplative act anyway. I'd have no quarrel with people who'd do it otherwise though.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

No tobacco rules in the parks around here, though I would say that it would be polite to ask before lighting up if others are present.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

No. I would take great care however that the smoke would not go in other people's direction. BTW: not bothering others with your smoke was good etiquette even in the old days.

Thomas
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outside in a place that is open to the public, never ask, no one ever asked me if their dog could pee on the tree I was looking at or jog by as I walk.

This world is getting too PC, but I refuse to conform, or apologize for being a White, Middle Age, Heterosexual, Male

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Polite is always a nice thing... since there is so little of it any more. That whole "do unto others" thang as well.

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outside in a place that is open to the public, never ask, no one ever asked me if their dog could pee on the tree I was looking at or jog by as I walk.

If you're walking about or sitting alone, fine. Otherwise, it's just manners.

This world is getting too PC, but I refuse to conform, or apologize for being a White, Middle Age, Heterosexual, Male

Agree. But thoughtfulness towards others has nothing to do with PC.

BTW, I am the same, but past middle age, and find no need for apologies either.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I call it simple consideration. If I feel my smoking would infringe on the rights of others, I simply wouldn't light up in the first place.

We are on the verge of extinction.

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'll ask if I'm with other people. If I'm alone, or 100 feet or more from the nearest homo sapiens, probably not. These days I don't smoke in parks because of the dry conditions. Don't want to risk inadvertently starting a fire.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If your near people you should always ask and be polite or find a place in the park where your basically alone. People don't usually complain about pipe smoke. With my experience it's mostly cigars and cigarettes people can't stand the smell of.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. tdehart

tdehart

Login to Send PM

When I'm around people I usually don't ask but I do move farther away from them, light up, and am very conscious of where my smoke is going to make sure none of it goes in their direction. If it does go their way I end up either moving or let it go out.

"CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS - ...beware the fury of a patient man."
    John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel (1681)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I was with someone, I'd usually ask. Presumably they would be walking beside me or otherwise remain in conversational distance, therefore be exposed to the smell. It seems sort of trivial, but some people are asthmatic or, unknown to me, just got over some respiratory illness. Older folks and kids are especially due consideration. I would rather go without a smoke than make someone feel disregarded. If someone was being unpleasant or cocky, I might not ask. But then again, I think I might take my leave before enjoying a smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

dkaye201

Login to Send PM

I agree with the majority on this one. Asking is never out of place. I did, many years ago light up in a public place and have an older gentleman (80+) follow me for quite some time. It seems that his doctors wanted him to quit smoking his pipe, and he just wanted to smell my smoke!

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't ask, and it is on rare occasions that i smoke in parks, but when i do i tend to sit far away from the public because i might just get shunned at, my favorite part to smoke is at a bench next to the duck pond, it is very relaxing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Unless I am standing next to the play ground equipment it is gonna happen .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I ask if I'm in close proximity to people, such as sitting around a campfire, especially if it's a shared site, and not my own. I generally won't smoke around kids, and will take my pipe out when passing by kids, the exception is if I'm walking on a trail and they look over 12 years old. I'll ask if I'm on private property as well. Otherwise I puff away happily, usually I get good responses.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would a pot smoker ask?
    Hells no.
    Just flame up and blow the smoke at the other person like you are entitled.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Went tubing down the old lazy river the other day. Smelled a bit of Jane and I liked it. Did I give a fuck? No. Did I complain? No, I minded my own business. If you are outside and someone complains, punch them in the face. Then run away as you pull the bottom of your dress from the floor.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had more experiences with cigar smokers than pot smokers doing that. But that is not a slam on our cigar smokers.

There're enough butt heads in every category to go around! There might even be a pipe smoker in that category. Maybe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. puffndave

puffndave

Login to Send PM

If nobody nearby offends me with their ugly running suits, snarling dogs, or undisciplined little brats, then I may ask. Otherwise, what goes around comes around!

Current favorite 'baccies:

Peterson Irish Oak, MacBaren Navy Flake, H&H Classic Burley Kake
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are on the verge of extinction.
    So true...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

[quote] Would a pot smoker ask?
    Hells no.
    Just flame up and blow the smoke at the other person like you are entitled.

I live in a state where pot is legal, and I can tell you, the smokers I've been around have courtesy. Once they ask if it's ok, they'll usually offer to share, they are a generous group...

Big thing for me, is the courtesy aspect. Which is missing in general from the public in my opinion. I love my freedom, hate when it restricts, and try to show everyone the respect that I expect in return. Some of the most judged sub-cultures, fandoms, and groups are some of the friendliest non-judgemental people you'll meet...and the most courteous.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny ... You don't ask, more often people mind. You do ask, more often people don't mind.

If it's crowded, I might ask. If there's a half-barrel of charcoal briquettes burning nearby or brimstone clouds from fireworks around and about, I assume permission.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't go to public park very often - unless there is a street fair or an event I'm interested in really. If people are walking around smoking cigarettes or cigars, I don't ask I just light up. If no one else is smoking, I generally don't either.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, jaytex969, cshubhra, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman, jerrynyc, jiminks