PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
LA Times Article on Giving an R Rating to Movies with Smoking
I really shouldn't be surprised by this stuff anymore but I am floored by this. The claims made by these "experts" just seem so ludicrous to me. For example, the article states that by giving "just about any movie that depicts smoking an R rating" it will spare the lives of 5.6 million kids. Do we really believe that just because a kid sees something in a movie that they are going to mimic it? If so, why aren't there millions of kids out there asking for a pet dragon when they grow up?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, that one's been in effect for a while now. Just think if they go back and re-rate all of those Disney cartoons with pipe smokers.

mrharris

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2015
Indiana
It is frustrating to see how whacked out some of their "logic" is. How about all the sex scenes and innuendo, the gratuitous violence, Godd&$^s that make it on screen even in PG-13 movies or even onto daytime television for that matter? Hollyweird and government overreach have become so invasive that there is no room for common sense. And, they claim that it is for our own benefit.
Too, they have a Messiah complex that puts statistics out there like "5.6 million" kids will be saved. Seems a little disconnected to me. So, to those of us with common sense that realize faith and great parenting are the best tools for raising children, we are posed questions like "So you don't want to save those children?" or something to that effect. You can't win with these people.
It is similar to trying to pass pieces of legislation that are titled something like "The Feeding Children & World Peace Act" but a decent read of the potential law would show tax-payers subsidizing abortion or the like. When you bring this up, they say that you are not for feeding children and world peace.
With having concluded my rant, I could just not go see any new movies I suppose. Maybe I'll become a hermit...

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I can not believe it, has the world gone even madder, what about the rape scenes, murder and gun immages.

Of course these have no effect on the younger person.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Joke's on them. I'm not for feeding children or world peace. Feeding children just leads to hungry adults and world peace isn't even a thing, so PTHHHHT! on them.

mrharris

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2015
Indiana
Nice point aldecaker! We were just talking the other night about the original Vacation movie showing the ample bosom of a younger Beverly Diangelo in the shower and it only being PG. I think she and her two friends should get a pass, even if this makes me a hypocrite...

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I can't remember the show, but we recently saw something whose introductory warnings were "This program is recommended for mature audiences only - it contains realistic war violence and historical smoking." Truth...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
They're going about the anti smoking thing the wrong way. I started smoking nearly thirty years ago because it was something I wasn't supposed to do. Make something more inaccessible, and it becomes more attractive.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I can't remember the show, but we recently saw something whose introductory warnings were "This program is recommended for mature audiences only - it contains realistic war violence and historical smoking." Truth...
The Kevin Costner "Hatfields and McCoys" had the same warning.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Absolutely ridiculous. I was going to make a comment about a liberal advertiser that owns a tobacco business but I think it's best to keep that comment to myself.
Anyone ever watch this John Wayne video?

https://youtu.be/WUzRyPuuSVQ

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hey Fitzy, just say whatever you want, but substitute "Trump" for whoever you're actually talking about. Works every time.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Absolutely ridiculous. I was going to make a comment about a liberal advertiser that owns a tobacco business but I think it's best to keep that comment to myself.
Very RICH thinking there, but best to keep it in your NOGGIN. :mrgreen:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
... Well, in the early years of last century they have banned alcohol, so I suppose that things could be worse, for lack of a better term ..

Status
Not open for further replies.