Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Smoking Cat Hair

(33 posts)
  1. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ugg, the only time that I ever set down at home is at the end of the day in my reading chair with my pipe, so my cat takes full advantage of these moments to gain my attention. I always keep my tobacco in either jars, tins, or their bags, but in the few moments it takes to open one and load a bowl, somehow cat hair mysteriously works its way into the tobacco. I've already gotten used to cat hair in my clothes, coffee, and most of my foods, but dag-nabbit it grates my last nerve to see a long white cat hair hanging out of the bowl just as I am about to touch flame to leaf. I've never had this problem with the dog, nor the kids, eh however, I've probably smoked a little of my girlfriend's hair, but that's another story...

Does anyone else have this issue?

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

I say run with it. Put the stuff in tins and sell it as some hoity toity blend.

(please cut me in for 5 percent for coming up with this spectacular idea)

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

Well...how does it taste?

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, scrapyardape!

Well, it's like latakia, no matter how much is in the blend, everyone will complain that it's not enough, until you do actually put too much, and then it's all you taste. I will avoid the cathair bomb, myself

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4dotsaseni is an expert on this blend, be glad the cat didn't scratch a small hole and make a deposit, but then you could say as the Hippies in my day. This Shit Is Good! PS as I told 4dot you could call it The Cats Meow!

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds yummy!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yuck, I would have me a new cathat if he ever crapped in my stash, LOL.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You might need hair of the dog to offset a cat-bomb.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

I've never noticed it with the two cats in our household, but then I don;t smoke where they frequent. Do you have a cat-free man cave where you can open tins and pack pipes?

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The whole house is mine. I make the kids take the cave
    So, unfortunately, the cat gets access. But, it's like the hair permeates the air and fabric of the house.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also have 3 demons.

I keep my stash in an old record player/radio. There's a storage space for records with two sliding doors.

Cat proof.

Buy a cabinet of some sort. That's what the thrift stores are for. Buying old cool shit and refurbishing it to fit your needs and expensive tastes.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the many, many reasons I don't own a cat is their fur is annoying and gets everywhere. At any rate though hair in your tobacco sounds absolutely horrible, but I can bet it is still better than Mixture 79.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I keep the tobacco in a drawer and closed at all times. It seems to teleport into the bowl as I pack it.

@rmason, at least it stoves well, LOL,

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. vespertillio

vespertillio

Login to Send PM

Make a special Tin with a unique label and send it to Harris as a Secret Santa gift. Then just sit back and enjoy watching him try to cellar say about 80 tins of your new blend. I actually see a sitcom in the works here. Hmmmmm.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

rmason said:
    "One of the many, many reasons I don't own a cat
    is their fur is annoying and gets everywhere."

Their fur gets everywhere they go, and they go everywhere ... into their litter box where they paw around in the unine/feces soaked cat litter, then up on your countertops or dinner table, then into your favorite easy chair where they use your pipes and tobacco jars for backscratchers ...

I'm with rmason ... there are many, many reasons to not own a cat ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep. Lived with long haired cats all of my married life, 32 years. The hair just simply goes through walls, doors, barriers of every sort, and somehow ends up in every nook and cranny. Vacumning only seems to help a little. If it weren't for my wife I'd never had a cat in the house. But, sometimes it's just a packaged deal.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, vespertillio

+1 david, if we are what we eat, then I'm about 30% cat hair.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a cat that enjoys climbing up on the smoking table and sniffing the tobacco smoke. Her hair sometimes turns up in a bowl or two, but I have become vigilant in checking the bowl before loading up the tobacco. No hair in the tobacco, as far as I know.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've smoked a lot of this Manx, Henry Hemingway. He pretty much leaves my pipes and tobaccos alone, at least until I set down to smoke. The fine hair just works its way into everything.

Scamp is a good dog. He just prefers to chew on a good book while I smoke

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep my tobacco in sealed containers.I haven't noticed having that problem.Though my wife has three of the varmits sneaking around the house.I wish I could donate them to some charity.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. andrearoberts

andrearoberts

Login to Send PM

May have to try this myself!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...try cat hair? Sure, but be careful. It's not the bite, but the scratch, that you have to watch out for

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a flame point Himalayan. You can see a picture of her in the thread of Christmas trees. Her hair is about two inches long and when she walks it looks like it is snowing. I don't remember the last smoke that I had that didn't have some of her hair in it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just one more reason why I hate cats. Their hair gets in and on everything

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. romanza10

romanza10

Login to Send PM

Ahhh, the cost of living with cats. I have a tool box that I keep my pipes in when I go to my local B&M for a smoke, and yeah, I find cat hairs in it and on my pipes. No matter how careful. I don't mind though, me and my wife are crazy cat people. We love them.

And my tobacco cellar and my resting pipes are in a trunk. And just like the tool box, cat hairs. It's just part of living with cats.

For the love of all that is sacred, please do not microwave your tobacco.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. sjb3

sjb3

Login to Send PM

I think your cats are smoking your tobacco when your gone, hence the hair in the jars. Deep down, I think you know that too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, he is fond of perique, but I imagine he probably has a hard time with the matches.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As Bradley, (The Old Cajun) indicated, I've had some experience with this problem. As I was filling my pipe from a tin, I dropped the tin from my lap, and a bunch of tobacco fell onto the floor. Being too cheap to waste tobacco, I scooped it up and put it back in the tin, only to find that it was now mixed with a generous portion of cat hair.

What to do? I had no wish to experience the joys of smoking cat hair (I already know what it smells like when one of our cats inadvertently gets its tail into the innumerable flaming candles my wife has all over the house). Finally it came to me: you know those foam packing peanuts that come with your latest order from whatever tobacconist? You know how they have so much static cling you can't get them off your hands? Well, wave one of those suckers over your tin or your pipe bowl, and, magically, the cat hairs rise from the tobacco and adhere to the peanut. Problem solved. (Well, not 100%, but close enough.)

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may have to try that. Good idea!! I wonder if a balloon would work.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We one cat and I invariably find a hair or two in the odd pipe bowl. I guess it can't be avoided.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With 3 felines and a dog at home I just refer to our place as The House of Hair. LOL
    My pipes are always kept in a closed cabinet or pipe case. But in the kitchen the cook is not responsible for hair in the food.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. dukdalf

dukdalf

Login to Send PM

I married the cat lady: we have six of the critters, presently. You'd expect everything in the house to be covered in mixed fur, and it pretty much is... Just kidding, most of them have short furs and hardly shed at all, but there is an occasional hair in my spaghetti. I've discovered whiskers are quite tasty, the rest isn't worth chewing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Manx is pretty good, ages and stoves well, but I can't exactly recommend it. Ha ha!
    Well, it's good that I'm not the only one. I do my best to prevent it, but it's just in the air of the house. My dog doesn't cause as much of a problem, except on the bed, when he sneaks a nap in there while I'm gone. But, overal, they're worth it. Good critters to have around. And, on nights when I am burning some dark flakes, the cat is the only one willing to tolerate the aroma with me

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   noctivagant, weezell, pepesdad1, trubka2, alexashe, tfdickson, 3rdguy, timelord, jrbjr, ajohnb