PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I bought a pipe from the UK recently. It came with a free can of tobacco. That is what it said on the back of the can. The front had a notice"SMOKING KILLS" taking up half the can. Dunhill's London Mixture which I always meant to try. It is good, but I won't be ordering 25 cans. What a nasty thing to write on someone's tobacco. What is wrong with these British?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've seen photos of tins and cigarette packs that say similar things from the U.K.
The U.K is turning into a genuine nanny-state. Cameras spying on every corner, draconian measures throughout it seems. Don't know what to say about it, it's a sign of things to come I think.

Jan 8, 2013
They're trying to do the same here in the states. Google images of new cigarette labels and you'll see. With those they actually use photos of messed up teeth, decaying lungs, and all kinds of other grotesque imagery.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
It's coming to America to, personally I think a marriage ring should come with the same label! *i'm not even married, I have no right to judge lol.*

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Running and exercise in general causes death too. Are they going to start taking into account peoples poor hereditary genes??? I've known people who were the picture of health but their propensity in their families for heart disease or cancer put them in an early grave. Maybe in the future that will be taken into account and healthcare withheld(death panels) or so expensive you couldn't afford it. The world is going insane.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Economic, social and political suppression, oppression and tyranny causes the slow and painful deaths of individuals, families and entire nations.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
No one would know there were a million marchers, it would just look like the fog was rolling in!

Jan 8, 2013
of course i wonder if they'd throw us all in jail for "willfully polluting the atmosphere."
@mikephillips, unfortunately I still don't think people would be ready to protest.
@wnghanglow LOL :rofl:

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
The only smoking I know which causes a long and painful death is the evening attire of the recent James Bond ...
:laughat:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I have been smoking a pipe since age 13 and now I am age 63. I never smoked ciggs. I don't inhale. I smoke while doing my daily two-mile walk on a treadmill and I smoke while doing double-black-diamond downhill ski runs on weekends. I am six-foot tall and weigh 166 pounds. I drink whiskey Manhattans every evening.
So, if smoking a pipe causes a slow death, then I am greatful at age 63 that it is progressing without notice at this point! I do know that many of those folks that want to control the "individual freedoms" of us pipe smokers are, in fact, not in as good of health as I am!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 31, 2012
It could have been very different for us if Al Gore was elected president, and we might be seeing the horrorshow graphics like everybody else, except that this happened:

The United States is a non-party to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. When the signed treaty was put up for ratification, President George W. Bush failed to send the FCTC (Framework Convention on Tobacco Control) to the United States Senate for consideration, thereby preventing the full participation of the U.S in the implementation of the Framework Convention.
The World Health Org is the iron-fist of NATO, and they've been winning the war.

http://www.who.int/tobacco/en/

:cry:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'm up for that jog, I do it every day, lift weights three times a week, stationary bike on the weekends and...
I drink beer most nights and smoke my pipe a couple times every weekend. Amazingly, I am able to live my life and make decisions on what is best for me without the help of the government, Buddha/Jesus/Allah, or that annoying Taco Bell dog.
I know, it sounds CRAZY!!!!!

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah is anyone really thinking smoking is GOOD for you? Like bigger warnings are going to stop anyone??

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Can I point out that it is not all of 'us British'.

The wheels were set in motion by the last Labour government who fucked this country up royally.

Too late to turn back now.

I voted Conservative, for the record.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
The packaging is ghastly here in Australia, glad I have not bought a single bit of tobacco in Australia as I cannot afford it anyway.
Smoking is not healthy, but I really do not think a pipe is all that bad either. My one bowl a day with no inhaling helps me unwind and i truly enjoy the experience.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Can I point out that it is not all of 'us British'.
No doubt. It only takes a few "holier than thou" bastards who think they've got your life figured out for you. We have them over here too.
I have noticed those labels, and I hate them. Propaganda at its finest. "Smoking kills" on pipe tobacco? Diseased lungs and dead guys on a box of Montecristos?? Come on... that's honestly insulting. To imply that I am so damn stupid, that I cannot find the facts and make my own informed decision, and that I need startling, morbid pictures and scare tactics to realize "how terrible smoking is."
I like to let the truth speak for itself, and in this case, that's what those who would have these labels put on every tobacco tin in the world are afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.