PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2016
Hi All,
I am aware that you are supposed to let your pipe rest or "dry-out" 24-48 hours between smokes but what if your pipe seems to only last say 15-20 minutes. Are you supposed to pack a new rested pipe with fresh tobacco or am I going to burn up my pipe smoking two or more bowls back to back? Maybe I could smoke longer out of my current pipe but it seems like half way down the bowl it gets to be a pain in the butt to keep it lit and the flame doesn't reach down all the way to get a good re-light.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Don't believe everything you read. I don't see where it would hurt the pipe to smoke it back to back all day, but I would give it a rest for a day or two after that kind of a workout. Get yourself some MM corn cob pipes to smoke while your resting your briar pipe. Get yourself a Zippo pipe lighter to light further down the bowl.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
A couple of suggestions which you may already be doing - keep your pipe tamped, this will keep the tobacco burning evenly. Also consider relighting with a match if you're having trouble getting a light further down the bowl. I mostly use a regular zippo and don't have any issues lighting to the very bottom of the bowl.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I agree. I use a pipe per day smoking sometimes as many as 6-8 bowls in a day. Never caused any problem before.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I frequently smoke multiple bowls a day with no problems. I heard here once that you should rest the pipe a day for each bowl you smoke. I've never really kept track but I found that advice creative.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The initial post may indicate the tobacco is too moist going in. If it's dry enough, you'll be able to get to the bottom or very near that, following the other suggestions above.
Happy smoking!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have never smoked a second bowl back to back. That would come under the heading of chainsmoking. But when I was a kid a lot of men smoked a pipe (usually the same one) all day long. Most of them just gently dumped the ash and added new tobacco on top of the remaning unburned tobacco.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Last weekend I smoked my lark 6 times in a row, with no ill effects. I actually think it smokes better with the wear.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never had a problem smoking five, six or even seven bowls in one brier during a day. I give a minimum of a day, usually four or five, before reusing. I've only been into pipes for fifty-one years so my experience is more limited than some.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Sometimes I smoke one pipe until it's soggy. As long as it has properly dried before the next use you'll be alright.
Don't listen to Warren. He's a newb.

Mar 1, 2014
I always thought the point of resting a pipe was to prevent mold or bacteria from growing in the shank. Unless you think your pipe will sour in less than 24 hours then there's no reason not to smoke it all day.

Are you better off smoking seven pipes a day with a one day rotation? Or one pipe a day with a one week rotation?

That said, in the past people have gone years with just one pipe, even an all day every day pipe might be able to stay fresh if you're diligent with nightly cleaning and sanitization.

Status
Not open for further replies.