PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have a few bent pipes (a couple of 221 Petersons among others) and for the life of me, I can't seem to get a satisfactory smoke from them. I clean them regularly and thoroughly, but I can't seem to get more than a few puffs from them before they become blocked. Since they are bent, I can't thread a pipe cleaner through them, and I don't stuff the chamber heavily. What am I doing wrong?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Are you talking full bent? Oom Paul?
Have you tried tapered pipe cleaners? I do feel like Peterson sure have a fan base, but I hear just as many complaining about things like airways and gurgling.
Could you try removing the stem and inserting a pipe cleaner before packing, then packing the pipe going fairly easy/loosely toward the bottom, then remove cleaner, reattach stem, and smoke?

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Odd. I only have one bent rhodesian, but I've never had problems using a pipe cleaner. After my 1st pipe I always said "next one will be a bent one". 13 straight pipes later it would seem I haven't gotten around to it. I hope you find a solution and am looking forward to reading the answers below.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I love a bent pipe. I don't love Peterson's.....try a different brand see how that works for you.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I managed to fix the problem. The draught hole wasn't clear enough, even though I cleaned it numerous times, but this time I got aggressive. I pushed a bristled pipe cleaner until it was visible in the bowl, then pulled the end out with a needle-nosed plier. That cleaned the hole thoroughly, and I have no problems with it anymore. (BTW, I never had this problem with the Irish Harp 221, just the Dracula, which originally smoked fine.)

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
A greater chance of turbulence with bent pipes, can create more buildup over time. I have always preferred straight pipes, because there is less chance of turbulence, which creates condensation and residue buildup. Then again, I am not a constant clencher, as I need to touch my tongue to my palate to experience the full spectrum of flavor in a particular tobacco.
If you have a favorite pipe, and would like to improve the smoking qualities, a stem job from a quality pipe restorer can be money well spent. Great stem work is one of the advantages of purchasing an artisan grade pipe, but there is more then one way to acquire a great stem, without spending a lot of dough.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke only bents, mostly full bents. A couple require a sharp little bend in the end of the cleaner, others require separating the stem from the bowl. It's something one lives with if one likes bent pipes. Just a fact of live. Some pass a cleaner easily, others do not. All of my pipes deliver excellence as smokers.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Glad to hear the problem was solved! How often do you thoroughly clean the airway?

Status
Not open for further replies.