Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Sorry for the long story, but I thought I would share.
The agency I work for contracts with another agency. Between the two departments I work for there are a few of my co-workers that smoke cigars, some more frequently than others. On occasion I have enjoyed a cigar with one of my supervisors while we are between calls. His dad used to smoke pipes so he bought a simple basket pipe a short time ago to try. A few weeks back we both decided to smoke a bowl instead of having a cigar. I enjoyed mine, but I could tell it wasn't his thing yet as he's only smoked his pipe on a few occasions. We'll see what happens, but either way I have a smoking buddy at work on days I have free time and choose to enjoy a cigar or pipe.
A short time back while sitting in the main office of the agency that I work for I was looking at Meerschaum pipes and one of my co-workers came up to me to chat and saw I was looking at pipes. He was surprised I was a pipe smoker and we exchanged comments and then he step outside for a minute. When he came back he handed me a small bag and inside were two corn cobs, some tobacco and accessories. As much as he was surprised I smoked a pipe I think I was more surprised that he smoked a pipe. So this past Wednesday, it was my Friday and was my co-workers Friday as well. Prior to getting off shift he asked if I was interested in going outside to smoke a bowl. I said sure so we both enjoyed a bowl and had a good conversation about pipes and tobacco. It was pretty cool, and a nice way to end my work week.
So now I have a cigar and maybe a pipe smoking buddy at one office and a pipe smoking buddy at my main office. Though I don't smoke very often at work, at least when I do I have some one that can possibly join me. So in the event that an opportunity presents itself I have a MM corn cob Diplomat, some baccy and accessories that I keep in an old Crown Royal bag in my work truck.
So how many of you guys get a chance to smoke at work, and if so do you have someone to smoke with?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I can't when I'm doing sales calls. I work in the nutrition industry, and needless to say it's not smoking friendly. On my home office days however, I like to fire up a bowl while doing emails or orders. So, I smoke alone while working...

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
In Wisconsin it is against the Law to smoke in any building open to the Public. As such, my office is "off-limits" because of this recent Law. I own the building! I do not smoke in front of clients. We have maybe one or two clients that visit our office per day. Most are by appointment. While I do not agree with the Law, I do smoke my pipe when there are no clients present and I open the windows for ventilation. I am very careful about it and respectful of the Law and clients. The employees actually like my pipe and have never complained. They are welcome to smoke if they followed the careful attention to the matter that I do. However, they do not smoke.

So, in answer to your question, I have no one to smoke with. But, I have no problem with that at all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@ CaptainBob, here in Washington its also illegal to smoke indoors (in any establishment), so if I smoke it's in the parking lot or around the back side of the building. I have a satellite office I smoke at some times, again outside, but there I'm by myself.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
We have a smoking room at work. However it smells like a gas station bathroom. We do have a nice place outside. Technically its no smoking but everyone likes my smell. I stay away form the English at work for that reason.

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
Yeah, I usually enjoy a bowl, maybe two, while I'm at work, but honestly I don't really have a pipe smoking buddy. Smoking on the fan tail ain't too bad though. A ton of people smoke cigarettes so it's easy to have someone to talk to while I'm enjoying a bowl(or half a bowl) depending on how busy I am for that day.
Now if only I can convince them to let me smoke a pipe when I'm on the mast dealing with my antennas and it would be amazing.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
A few people I work with are on the nails, but none smoke cigars or pipes. Even if I did have a buddy I work at a hospital, one of my co-workers was actually fined for smoking outside in the parking lot!

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
The Navy has changed, my friend. They were thinking, for a little while, to completely get rid of smoking on all Naval installations and ships. As of, right now, you can't smoke on a sub at all. So, we're restricted to the fan tail for the moment.
Though, there is an A-gang chief on board that is a definite chain smoker that I talk with all the time while I'm out there.
Pfft! We barely even get to shoot off of it on a good day. The Navy can't afford ammo right now. Haha!

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
You sailed in better days, Mike. So many rules now. It's absolutely horrendous sometimes. Especially when we hit foreign ports. Its all good though. It's paying the bills right now.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Yep - smoking at work is a definite no no in England. If you drive a truck for a living and even if you own it and travel alone, you're breaking the law if you light up in the cab. My wife works as a carer for a disabled young man. That makes his (and his mums) home a work place so even his mum has to go outside for a smoke!
I remember my first office job though - you couldn't see across the room due to the haze of blue / grey smoke :)

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Don't smoke at work. But if I wanted to I would have to do it outside since I reside in washington

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I smoke at work when I'm not too busy. We only get two 15min's for the 8hr I'm at work. As a lift truck driver I can leave the line 5-10mins before break while the line workers finish palettizing product. I eat fairly light at work since we get a break every 2.5hr. I munch down and head out for a quick puff. A bowl will last me the day on really busy days (depends what product we run) and sometimes I'll have 4-6 bowls when we run slower product.

I enjoy smoking a pipe any chance I can get. The guys run out for cigys so why can't a guy have a pipe? LOL!

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I have no problem to smoke in the garden of the office, but here is the catch: pipe smoking takes a lot of time. I can't sit there for an hour. So I smoke Camels during work hours.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
It's against the law to smoke in public places here. I work for city government and your not even supposed to smoke on or in city property. I'm pretty lax about my guys doing it as long as they keep it confined to an area around the corner and keep it clean. I do smoke in my work truck and I know someone's going to call and bitch one day. This town is VERY unfriendly to smokers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I used to be in the car business we would smoke inside all the time, I would smoke either cigs or cigars. When I opened my pool hall it was a smoking establishment so I smoked in there also. Now I work from my home so I smoke all the time. Before I was in the car business I was a mfgs rep in the jewelry industry on the road and smoked in my car all the time. So in reality, I have smoked at work my entire life, from 1980 till the present.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I run heavy equipment and work outside most of the time so I'm lucky that I can smoke when I want. The boss is cool about smoking in the machines so that's great. As far as indoors though, it's all non-smoking here.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
The only smokers I work with smoke cigs or pot. So I don't get to smoke a bowl with them. I don't bring the pipe to work anyways. I get half an hour for break, so I don't really have time for a pipe.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
As such, my office is "off-limits" because of this recent Law. I own the building!
This is a sad state of affairs and ridiculous. I know some places are making it illegal for a person to smoke in their own residence. It will turn neighbor into enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.