PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
As I read through this recent post Smoking and Addiction, the resounding theme was most denied addiction to Vitamin N and said any addiction was to the peaceful solitude of alone time and relaxation.
That prompted me to inquire about this:
How many folks smoke a pipe at the workplace?
I see folks at work, who do not smoke cigs but will have a cigar each day. IMHO this is just NOT right. I most certainly do NOT want to associate the relaxation of pipe smoking with my workplace, not in any way, shape or fashion.
So, what say y'all?
If you do smoke at your workplace, would that indicate a true NEED for Nicotine during the day?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Respects,

Bruce

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I smoke cigs and snuff at work. pipe at home.

I work a straight 8, I eat my lunch when I can and the nature of my job, I can't leave the facility. so smoking a pipe is out of the question.
Edit- Bout to go have a cig now!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Being in the military just about everyone smokes at work. I do take my pipe to work and am fortunate enough to be able to take my time and enjoy it. Usually first thing in the morning with my cup of coffee as i overlook our flight line. I doubt its a nic addiction because most of the blends i smoke at work are light aros. Once the winter moves in i doubt i will partake at work because i dont want to freeze my arse off.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I smoke my pipe once in awhile at work when time permits,most of the time its cigs or skoal or beechnut.Being in the construction trade your always moving.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
The pipe is a fine excuse to spend time away from the desk. Why should the addicts get all the breaks?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
For now the college campus still allows smoking 10 feet from entrances. However, I never bring a pipe to work. Some days I wish I could just for the enjoyment, not for the NIC.
Jason

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
i tell my boss that instead of taking 10 5 min smoke breaks i.e. 50 minutes...i take 1 50 minute smoke break. makes sense to me.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
I actually quit smoking cigs recently and picked up smoking pipes. I do crave nicotine and have short periods of idle time at work(I am a brewer). So I pack one pipe to bring with me and take a few puffs on it from time to time. I can't lie though I don't nearly enjoy it as much at work as I do when I'm relaxing or walking my dog. Come winter I will most likely put a stop to the puffing at work thing.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have a 1600 sqft carpentry shop... so insurances here in CA prohibit smoking and since I dont smoke cigarettes it a resounding no for me... I sometimes smoke in the Jeep on the commute home, but definitely one in the evening.
Now if I could smoke my pipe at work... I probably would

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
When I worked a regular job I would take my pipe with me and smoke it during lunch or before work. (I always got there at least 1/2 hour early. I found that it caused me to slow my pace a bit and actually relax just a little bit and 1/2 hour was enough time for a bit of relaxation.
Now I travel for work when I work and I always pack the pipes when I leave out. I find time too smoke some and enjoy it. I can still find smoking rooms in the hotels at times. I also carry a hand full of cigars with me as well.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
At Intel you can't smoke but in designated smoking areas. Otherwise, I would puff on a cheap basket pipe on construction sites provided I wasn't working with a cutting torch or at the time soldering/brazing copper lines. The pipe helps me focus more and I love the flavor. Definitely don't smoke for a nicotine hit.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm retired now but when I was working I smoked a pipe all the time.In fact when I wasn't smoking people whould ask me where my pipe was.I kept a pipe and some tobacco in my desk drawer just in case I forgot on a given day to bring them from home.When you leave home at five in the morning it isn't too hard to forget something.

joshwolftree

I smoke my pipe at work...two twenty mingute breaks and a half hour at lunch over a ten hour shift...plenty of time for a corncob on break. I also addicted to vitamin N and throw an ocassional nail into my smoking pattern too so take it how you will.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm lucky. I work at home and smoke all day and night. When deadlines are tight, smoking has a calming effect.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Now when you guys are saying you smoke "at work" does this mean you are inside, working, AND smoking, or do you just mean during the work day you step OUTSIDE and take a BREAK to smoke?
Because to me, the second doesn't count. I have pipes w/ me almost always, and will smoke outside of the music building often, either before, in between, or after classes. HOWEVER, to me, smoking at work (school) would be to actually sit in a class and puff away, or while I'm in a rehearsal standing in the back counting 100+ measures waiting for the next percussion entrance, smoking while doing it. And to me....That would be excellent! Sadly, it's just a dream.....

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Depending on my shift hours, I get a maximum of two 15 min breaks, and an hour lunch to a minimum of one 15 min break. I have to go outside to a designated area to smoke, so I don't smoke a pipe very often at work as I really don't have the time to enjoy it. I do however smoke a cig or two, and an occasional smaller cigar at lunch.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'd say that very few people can smoke AT work anymore because of all the public smoking bans.
This thread seems directed at those who smoke on breaks.
I've smoked my pipe a few times at work and it kills most of the enjoyment for me.
Primarily because you are forced to go outside amongst a pile of people coming and going - the weather isn't always too nice either.
I'd like to be able to enjoy it, but I guess the environment is just not right.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
When I first started working, back in the early '60's, smoking was common everywhere. Smoked my pipe and cigars with wild abandon at my desk, in meetings, almost anywhere. Things have drastically changed. Around here now, you cannot smoke in public buildings, nor in most work environments. The last 26 years before I retired (5 years ago, January, thank you very much!), the owners of the two businesses did not allow smoking on premises. That meant you had to walk out to the road, which I did only very seldom.
Now that I am retired, I smoke what I want, when I want, and as much as I want....as long as it's in the shop or on the deck; the house is still off-limits..... :cry:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I smoke for the relaxation and the flavor. I wouldn't enjoy it at work one bit. Plus I don't agree with the whole smoke break thing while non-smokers may not be allowed to take a break.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Yeah checotah- Those were the days. Even back in the 80's when I smoked, no one seemed to care, or think their rights were trampled on. We smoked at our desk, meetings, etc. If someone said they didn't like our smoke, we repected them and just stopped. Everyone DID get along. Luckily too I shared an office with another pipe smoker. But those were different times. Now with my current job, I only smoke at home. I like making my bowl last for 45 min or so and I just cant do that in the alotted time.

Status
Not open for further replies.