PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2014
Do you all smoke when you are at your computer? I have heard that that is not good for the computer because the tar from the tobacco can gunk up the inside components and eventually ruin it. However, I do spend quite a bit of my time on the computer and, frankly, would like to be able to smoke. So, how bad for the computer is smoking really? If it won't harm it until years of smoking then I probably won't worry about it since, by that time, I will probably be upgrading to a new computer anyway.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Surely you can't think that some of us who appear here, sometimes for hours, aren't sucking on a pipe as we type? If we couldn't smoke at the computer this forum would have disappeared long before I found it.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
What you've heard is more or less true. "More" if you're still using an Apple III with floppy disks--floppies were notoriously sensitive to smoke and everything else in the environment. "Less" so if you've updated your machine in that last 25 years. Really the only part that is at much risk is the hard drive. They tend to be sealed pretty well, so I wouldn't loose much sleep over it. But I would (and do) back up my hard drive frequently.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
As another IT guy, your computer will be way obsolete before you kill it with pipe smoke.
If we couldn't smoke at the computer this forum would have disappeared long before I found it.
And this. Puff on :)

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Just stay away from that smokers value(i think thats what it called)

you can see the casing drip down the wall....that cant be good.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
+1 sparks

+1 simnettpratt
I've worked on client's computers that were around 10 years old (Example: PC released in 2001 - 13 years old) that had been exposed to smoke since day one and it ran just fine for the parts that it had. You'd probably have to really try to kill a PC with smoke.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Technically, I've been told that the film that gets on the inside of your car's windshield gets on the motherboard and helps it short out sooner, but (a) that's cigarette smoke, and (b) as the techs are telling you, if you like smoking and like your computer, the hell with it. It will be obsolete long before you kill it with smoking.
That is, you'll kill it by clicking on unsolicited forwards of funny cat videos long before you kill it with your meerschaum. Not saying you click on unsolicited forwards, mind you :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have to admit I most often smoke pipes on my computer, but since I don't smoke many bowls a day, it's hard to

imagine it gunking up the works. My late wife used to chain smoke on the bed grading papers for her teaching,

and when I washed the window, the tar would coat the window. I think being on Forums takes the place of socializing

that might take place if it weren't so difficult to find a place to smoke a pipe in a coffee shop or park with others.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I like smoking my pipe while reading these forums. Sometimes I enjoy some Bourbon too! Helps me focus on the topic. Therefor, I am pretty sure it will be a combo of matches and flammable beverage that get my computer before the smoke. :puffy:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 cosmic
I don't smoke around my computer unless I take it outside and that is only so I can watch a movie on it while I smoke.

Oct 18, 2014
Awesome...thanks for the information, guys. That is what I suspected but I wanted to confirm. Now I can enjoy bowls at the pc without worry. :D

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Most of my smoking is done in front of the computer, that's probably why I prefer pipes with Apple bowls..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A few keys on my laptop with burn marks will attest to my pipe smoking and computer use. Other than cosmetics, it's no worse for wear.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Ditto to bulldogbriar89. I choose not to smoke indoors, to avoid hurting my asmatic wife and daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.