Smoking at Home Now Illegal for Many in San Rafael, Calif.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Reason magazine posted this article several hours ago. The town fathers of San Rafael, California have outlawed smoking tobacco in multi-family homes, including apartment houses, condominiums, etc. Reason is a journal of libertarian opinion and current events. Read all about it here.
(If I recall correctly from my youth, San Rafael is the home base, at least in the business/commerce sense, of the Grateful Dead. The mind reels.)
Jay

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giLxEvWfB-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oTp7qQRIY

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah, even if you OWN the condo! I believe Hawaii does the same thing, share a wall, illegal to smoke. In your own damn castle. Not sure if it applies to 'medicinal' smoking. What bothers me most is these creatures think they have the right to do this.
SwimmingNotice_zpsdf1c7b7d.jpg

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
What can we do to stop this foolishness? Granted I don't live over there but still that is stupid. My apartment in MS I lived in years ago, not sure if we wasn't allowed to smoke in it or not but for some reason I sat out on the balcony and smoked my pipes. Then again maybe it was because I wanted to watch the world pass by as I relaxed.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I mentioned elsewhere that I support some tobacco legislation but that it's very easy for it to stumble into the realms of absurdity. This is a prime example.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Reading the article, I note with interest that it's mentioned that there is no indication in the ordnance who is to enforce it. It appears that another resident would have to notice and file a complaint. It mentions that an informational pamphlet for landlords suggests threatening with eviction; but what about owner occupied dwellings? It almost appears to be a feel-good thing without a really clear means of enforcement.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reading the article, I note with interest that it's mentioned that there is no indication in the ordnance who is to enforce it.
Yep, and I bet if you ask the local PD, they want no parts of this. Maryland does this all the time, like Cell phone laws that aren't enforced.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Let those who would advocate the banning of their neighbor's joy find their joy one day banned.
It takes courage to defend the rights of others to do or to possess those things that one finds personally distasteful. And we have a great deficit of such courage in the modern West.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I used to live in an apartment upstairs from a couple who smoked some truly rancid cigarettes, and to be perfectly honest, it's something I really don't miss about apartment living. What you do, even in the privacy of your own home, can and does have an effect on other people and should be taken into account when dealing with them.
That being said, I never demanded that the people downstairs stop smoking, nor did it ever occur to me to get the apartment management involved, much less the city council or the legislature. And this was back when I was an anti myself...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Reading the article, I note with interest that it's mentioned that there is no indication in the ordnance who is to enforce it. It appears that another resident would have to notice and file a complaint.
Such ordinances are designed that way intentionally for 2 reasons:
1) To help nurture a snitch culture.
2) To allow for selective enforcement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope it is obligatory for the city and the individual landlords to publicize this to anyone thinking of moving

to town, so they won't. It would be totally unfair to spring this on people after they've signed the lease or

condo contract. Then see how the realtors and apartment owners wish to proceed with campaign contribution,

find out who would be just as happy living elsewhere. See how long the law stays on the books. Actions have

consequences.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@pylorns: LOL ... fortunately for me I don’t live in the People’s Republic of California.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Jerry Garcia is probably turning over in his grave!
Yes, what a shame. They “haven’t had that spirit there since 1969”.
It’s a brand new Kalifornia now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwqumoO0Ds

Status
Not open for further replies.