Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Stopped in a shop in Effingham, IL while passing through about 5 weeks ago, picked up a tin of Former Birdseye Flake. Saw it on the shelf, why not. It has been a pleasant surprise. The Perique seems to be laid back, more sweet and fruity than peppery (which is what I prefer). I have found this blend tastes better in a cob than a briar, at least to me.
Grabbed a tin of GLP Chelsea Morning in Charleston, WV on the way back from Raleigh a couple of months ago. Not sure how this escaped my attention before. Smoked a couple of bowls soon after opening the tin, kind of okay. Let it sit for a month and started again. Good that I didn't give up. love this blend now. Definitely something I'll cellar fairly deep as I'm thinking this blend should age exceptionally well.
Saw a tin of Germains Medium Flake on the shelf a couple of weeks ago. Reading the description, I didn't think I'd care for it too much as it apparently has a fair amount of topping. Early returns are favorable though. Smokes easy and very pleasant. I would definitely purchase more.
Early experience with the Sutliff Crumble Kake blends, all 3, is surprisingly good. I think the VaPer is excellent, Red Va very good. The English is quite good, just a bit bland. Perhaps some time will allow more of the flavors to come through.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
One of the great benefits of purchasing from B&Ms is finding dusty tins with some age on them. This can justify the premium price paid. Smoke on!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Recently decided to pick up some GL Pease blends and give them a try. I grabbed a few different blends and the past few days I've been smoking Telegraph Hill several bowls a day. It's pretty darn good IMO and I'll probably go ahead smoke through this tin in a few more days.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Actually, I've been going through a lot of samples of late... the most recent gems I've discovered are Drew Estate's Meat Pie, Druquer and Sons Blairgowrie and Rattray Red Rapparee. I'm thinking all three are can't live without blends. And one of them is discontinued... :sniff:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
One of the great benefits of purchasing from B&Ms is finding dusty tins with some age on them.
+1 on this. I bought a (literally) dusty tin of 2014 HH Syrian Latakia just the other day. I think I'll give it a couple more years before I crack it open though.
As far as the original question, I just popped a tin of Balkan Sasieni for the first time a few days ago. I have no idea why it took me so long to get around to it. I think it tastes great, but my wife says it smells like burning plastic.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have been on a Deertongue kick; Crooner and Gentleman Caller have become favorites. I also have several blends on hand that I am always planning on getting to, but haven't: Old Gowrie, Sutliff Crumble Cake VaPer, Astley's Number... something!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Bought a tin of Edward G. Robinson blend last month and now I can't seem to smoke anything else. Waiting for a 12oz tub to arrive tomorrow. If I ever get down to smoking just one blend, that will be it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
One of the great benefits of purchasing from B&Ms is finding dusty tins with some age on them. This can justify the premium price paid. Smoke on!
+2
I enjoy stopping in at B&M's as I travel. I often find some old tins or even hard to get stuff. Even better, if time allows, I'll smoke a bowl with the locals and make some new friends.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Yes. My first tin of Dunhill Flake still isn't finished. I really like it, though. My first (and probably only) tin of Three Nuns I find it hard to finish. My first pouch of Amphora Red I am certain I won't finish. My first tin of Acadian Perique I have had maybe 6-8 bowls out of, and along with a recently smoked tin of St James Flake, it has finally made me begin to understand what perique tastes like. So far I like it and will purchase more. Earlier today I popped a tin of Mac Barens Club Blend to breathe and dry for a week or two before I smoke it.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Acadian Perique is one of those blends I don't see mentioned too much but I happen to like it a lot. It's got a lot going on and I'm looking forward to it even more down the road after it sleeps in my cellar for a good while.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
8 oz. of GH&Co’s Kendal dark vanilla showed up in my mailbox today. It’s quite good. Smoother than birds eye but still has the nicotine kick. I like it.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
This week Ive been smoking through some excellent samples, HU Directors Cut, GQ Askwith Kake, SG Navy Flake, and SPC Potlatch.

Im not a huge latakia lover but the navy flake and Potlatch are excellent. Directors Cut is a brilliant blend upon first impressions, and getting to try Askwith Kake has been a huge treat for me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Somehow I never tried Old Joe Krantz until very recently...less than a month ago...which was a big mistake...I should have tried this one a long time ago...truly awesome blend.
For a more in depth analysis, Jim Inks says it better than I ever could...and scroll down a little for Pipestud's & DeathMetal's reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1700/cornell-diehl-old-joe-krantz#review78018

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Just smoked my first bowl of G.L. Pease Union Square. Not easy to get here. Was quite impressed. Very smooth and flavour full.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Just this morning I opened a tin of JF Germains Special Latakia flake. Like Workman I'm planning in letting it breathe for a week or two before I start.
Kind of cheating but I also dug out a jar of Dunhill's MM965, I had 2-3 bowls a few year back and wasn't impressed so jared it up. Whilst it's not new to me I can't really remember what it tasted like.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Good topic!
I tried a no name aromatic house blend at a B&M last week while traveling for work. It was surprisingly pleasing. Lots of cigar guys were making the typical "that smells great" or "my grandpa smoked a pipe" comments. It was fun and relaxing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
3 new-to-me blends; and surprisingly, no disappointments this time: :puffy:

• C&D Billy Budd Blonde: Va-Bur-Per with a touch of cigar leaf. Wonderful, Oriental-like flavor.

C&D Redburn: Burley-Va-DFK: Nicely sweetened, and topped with rum; but not an OTC-like aromatic.

D&R Ramback Gold: Va-Turkish. A good anytime/after dinner smoke, but could use more Turkish.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently discovered Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. It is a vaper with dark fired Kenyan leaf that is very different from all my other vapers. It is so good I cellared it fast and deep to the tune of 40 100 gram tins. At 15.36 a tin the deal SP was running was too good to pass up.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Harris, just an fyi, out of the 20 tins Doblone d'Oro I ordered, there were a few that didn't have an intact seal. Since this tobacco comes fairly dry as it is, I went ahead and jarred it all just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.