PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
My house has a sun-room of sorts in it that seems to have been built specifically for plants. I have had some aloe vera and another strange succulent plant that just refuse to die. Today I went out and purchased a tomato plant, a cayenne plant, an orange bell pepper plant, and a zebra plant. Now, I know that plants breathe carbon monoxide and tobacco smoke yields carbon dioxide and monoxide. So could pipe smoking (note: I have read through multiple searches that cigarette smoke is bad for plants because of the various chemicals in it) possibly be beneficial for plants? Does anyone have any botanical or scientific experience to lend here?
Thanks,

Andrew

hippie

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
Dude plants put out oxygen and suck up carbon monoxide so your plants are doing you a favor

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Right, but I have read numerous articles saying that the smoke clogs up the pores that plant life uses to breathe. I just am curious what other's experience has been.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
man that's a hard one... but I'd probably say it really wouldn't matter all that much unless you're absolutely filling up the room with foggy smoke. Otherwise it should be as usual. For instance, urban gardening is becoming really popular in huge cities where the air pollution (carbon monoxide included) from traffic is likely exponentially more potent. But who knows? Neat thought though. And I for one, share baronsamedi's practice. :puffy:

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
You should be just fine. Over the years I have smoked inside and outside with all kinds of plants around Me, never harmed one yet,so smoke on.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
HEY! I have a plant... well actually he's a tree and more of a pet/member of the family than some type of flora.

So I should weigh in on this one.

Tom is a Pony-tailed Palm. He was given to me when I spent a little time in the hospital in 1983.

Everybody always speaks to Tom when they come by the house.

When he was in my office, my co-workers would come by and clean his leaves and speak to him first before speaking to me... The ladies love him.

I'm sure he would smoke a pipe if he could.

0333z.jpg

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Tom is a pretty cool guy. Very photogenic. ;) He looks like he needs a calabash.
I'm not allowed anywhere near plants since I tend to kill them, so the gardeners in the family keep me surrounded by flora and forbid me to do more than look and take pictures. Currently, I have a huge potted lily, a honeysuckle vine, and some wild sunflowers and daisies. (I take a very organic stance to gardening - if it's growing, I let it. Dandelions and clover aren't weeds - they're vegetables and welcome to grow anywhere in my lawn they want. Then again, if I were allowed to interfere, the lawn would just be a giant patch of GA red clay.)

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Thanks everyone! I've smoked in there a few times now with no major issue. I'll keep everyone posted.
Lawrence, that is indeed a handsome plant. I play classical music for my plants non-stop. It supposedly helps with growth....
Cyndi, if you don't mind me asking, where are you in GA? I'm at my parent's for the summer in East Cobb County...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My favorite plants are my aloe veras. I have several baby ones and a couple of huge ones around at any given time. Most useful plants in the world! Second would probably be my pepper plants. I've got chilis in my blood.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Is that middle GA? It really is BFE. I went to Middle GA College for a couple of weeks as part of a high school co-op and it is nothing but flat land, pigs, and more flat land. Up here in the NE, we at least have hills and rivers!

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
naw, ft benning is on the west side of the state, part of it in alabama... sothing but swamp, sand, georgia clay and pine trees with a few hills mixed in for fun....

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Ah ok. I've only ever flown over that part of GA. I live for mountains and the sea, which means I commute down the east side of the state to the space coast of FL every so often.
That's why I love Bob the palm tree. ;)

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
I know middle Georgia from playing baseball as a kid...There isn't much to know. East Cobb feels like the sticks to me. I've been living in New Orleans for the past few years and it's such a different kind of living. I can't say that I understand why people live in most of Georgia. Savannah I understand. Some of these areas with great farmland yeah, I understand a family or something living there. But Atlanta? What the hell made folks say "Hey, let's put terminus down right here. That way, all the railroads will go completely the hell out of the way."
Lawrence, have you tried re-potting him to a larger pot? Sometimes too, a plant will just be happy with the size they're at it seems. I tried getting massive aloe veras for a while. They just did not want to grow beyond a certain size. I love those plants. They thrive on abuse. I had a friend who chewed and he would dump his spit and used tobacco on his own aloes. They loved it... I won't be abusing my plants because they bear tasty fruits and I don't want any of that crap in my tomatoes.
As for the smoking in the atrium experiment, I do it every once in a while at night and so far it is seemingly doing about nothing to visibly harm the plants. Hell, I think they kind of like it. Plants supposedly respond to things like time spent with them and classical music. I like classical, so me and the plants listen together.
Oh God my life has gotten sad. I'm 22. I should be out raising hell. But no. I spend my free time in an atrium with plants, smoking a pipe and listening to classical music. Honestly, it doesn't irritate me the way going out to a bar does. If I want a drink, I can have one...without paying 70 bucks at the end of the night. I don't feel cheated the way paying for gasoline or a movie ticket does. My plants can't flake out on me or be ugly at me (except by dying, but that's a bit dramatic). I guess it's nice because the expectations are so low that I never get let down. Whereas 20-something year old women are flaky and their male counterparts have a tendency to be overly competitive, I don't have to compete or impress anyone. The pipe and the plants do not judge. They simply accept. I guess there's a subtle wisdom in their outlook. They at least make better company than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.