PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
I tend to go on a nightly walk and usually on these walks i have a pipe with me and i smoke it, just kind of to keep mr calmer and going slower. But the weather around here has been windier than usual, and i'm wondering if this is going to damage my pipe at all.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, windcaps for lunting in windy weather. They are also useful for keeping a loaded pipe loaded while riding in your pocket.
37867659894_778d4cbe51_h_d.jpg

This is the wind cap/tobacco keeper-inner I use. Other types are available too.
15d2fc_e0a6b296f8ed4115971ac155ff400868~mv2.jpeg

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
Thank you guys so much, and i had no idea there was an actual term for it. This is pretty much the only real advice I have managed to get. My late grandfather always smoked pipes and i loved the smell, and it was just ironic that one night i was stressed and my father let me use one of his pipes. He doesn't smoke them and I fell in love with it quickly. However as of right, i also don't have much available for funding and such. My friends got me a nirvana pipe from a local head shop. Literally the only pipe i have right now.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
It is windy where I live, I joke about being the 'wind smoker'. I have learned to hold my pipes by the bowl, with my hand cupped over the top of the bowl. I can control the 'draft' that the wind creates that way.
What kind of tobacco do you like?

What shape of pipe do you like?

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
That's kind of what I do most of the time. I hold it by the bowl, and cup my hand at the beginning of the bowl and as it burns down i will use my thumb to cover and adjust airflow.

As in for shape, I enjoy the bent billiard styles and have been smoking Borkum Riff original blend. I really enjoy it, it has a mild flavour, and after drying it a bit it burns and lights very nicely. Normally I don't have to relight it and can pretty much smoke the entire bowl with little or no dottle left.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Welcome samugeki!
It's awfully windy where I live, and cupping the hand over the bowl works pretty well. I rarely use a windcap, and I don't bother at all if it's really howling.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
I generally follow this idea: if i can't light it with a match or a bic, it is too windy to be outdoors. I don't smoke in the house mostly because family isn't aware i picked up this hobby. I'm pretty much comfortable enough that at night i would sit out in the livingroom and smoke with my grandmother. But that is also why i usually walk, that and it helps me decompress from the day, so I always figured putting the two together would really help, and it actually has been.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those caps are very handy, but changes a pipes airflow, so you have to change your smoking cadence. Not a big deal though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would start with a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs. There are thousands of tobaccos available for pipe smoking, but if Borkum Riff is your thing, I would suggest also trying Carter Hall and Prince Albert.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
It was something i got lucky with. It was something lower in cost that i knew i could get again if i enjoyed it or if i didn't i was out 2 dollars (ish). And i will see if Carter Hall and/or Prince Albert are available anywhere around me. I feel like Cedar Rapids is really lacking in tobbacco choices. Kind of the same for getting pipes. Definitely going to look into those two though

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Living in a city that has a nickname of "City of Winds", I prefer smoking indoors. But lots of pipe smokers praise those wind caps. I guess I also have to give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.