PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Just curious what pipes and blends have worked best for you when you're out in a stream for an afternoon. Something like a cob oom paul filled with something interesting and forgiving would be ideal. Coming up blank on both pipe and tobac fronts here.
Just starting to get my feet wet with Tankara while I'm out and about it would be criminal not to bring along a nice pipe.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have a few small pipes I prefer while fishing. I like to be able to pocket it and be able to clench it while casting. Nothing fancy that would be tragic if I dropped it I the drink. I have a small bulldog and a nose warmer that I can fit a wind cap on. Or my Eaton cob that is easy to clench. Tobacco is what ever you like? I usually grab something a little sweet. Lanes 1Q, hazlenut, or Sutliff Maple Street.
How do you like that tenkara? I just put two fly fishing trips on the calendar for May! One Sierra stream trip and one a club trip on private property for bass and blue gills.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Tenkara is just about the best thing I've done with a rod and line. I find it more active and engaging. The equipment is pretty minimal and inexpensive. Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N40BOFYKR38

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
<p>I bought an MM morgan just for this purpose about two months ago. Its a great on the go pipe. Short, stubby, huge draft, and only comes in at like 5 bucks! Unfortunately havent made it on the water since...

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Though ill add that it does bring some odd responses being that its very pot pipeish

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Oh and i prefer burleys while fishing. They just practically smoke themselves it seems. Very easy When you're trying focus on the water.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Carter Hall and a cob all the way when after trout. Those suckers hate anything shiny, and a finely polished briar is a no no.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I prefer a 3/4 bent. Tends to hang very well. I also use a much drier rubbed out flake than usual to minimize relights. That's assuming I'm not using my 10 weight on saltwater. Trying to manage a pipe and fly rod in 20 knot winds on the flats is no fun!.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I enjoy a pipe while on the stream, but not during the act of fly-fishing, as I find it to be too distracting. Generally I will stop at about the half-way point while working upstream (I fish dry flies only) on my favorite waters, reel in, and enjoy a rest and a fill of something sweet (Tinderbox's Sunset is a favorite) in a rusticated Peterson 313. Typically I carry a small Thermos of coffee, so that gets broken out, too. It's not heaven, but it's very, very close!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I love having a smoke during a fly fishing adventure- but like Hunter, I usually just wait to smoke until I am at a good resting point out of the canyon winds, preferably to celebrate landing a big fish! I just smoke whatever I want, usually one of my Ashton pipes (light at under 40 grams), and one of my favorite Virginia blends.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Lol hunter, that's about precisely my technique too. Nothing better, especially as it's getting colder and the fishing is more slow going. Coffee and a pipe to warm you up stream side is the thing dreams are made of! I'll tie on a nymph though usually too. The hopper dropper if you will... I know. Heresy!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Cobs are great anywhere but imho they are THE pipe for fly fishing. They're light and easy to clench. I dropped one on the stream last year but recovered it. I put in on the dashboard of my car and let it dry until the next afternoon. Stuffed it, relit and it smoked as good as new. But even if I lost it, it wouldn't have been a financial burden.
I was on the Conewago near Gettsburg over the weekend and caught maybe a dozen trout. I was smoking Classic Burley Kake in a MM General and a MM Freehand. The tobacco burned well and smoking on the water added an extra dimension to an already wonderful sport.
Pax

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I plan to keep cobs in my tackle boxes and boat. They are just to affordable to not keep any around. Besides every fly fisherman needs that quint essential hat and vest combo (which I have) and a corn cob pipe smoldering something classic.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
quint essential hat and vest combo (which I have) and a corn cob pipe smoldering something classic.
Sounds like a walking cliche. Makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df8lVSjx7AE

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is my kind of fishing, small streams, light tackle. I had a 3 weight Thomas & Thomas. The reel was pretty useless, I never had more than 25 foot of line out. I could go up into the mountains of Western MD and catch a 100 little brookies in an afternoon. I'm not sure I could do a pipe while fly-fishing. A cigar might be a little easier. Although one time I spent 30 minutes presenting to some rising fish at dusk to find that at some point, my cigar had burned off the end of my tippet.
Please show us some shots of your Tankara spots, that looks very intriguing.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I can't believe no one has suggested smoking Trout Stream while fly fishing. Seems like the obvious answer to me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Some good suggestions. Thanks all!
I can't believe no one mentioned anglers dream :nana:
I haven't had much time to research pipes. I think I may wind up with something like a full bent with a jury rigged croaky....

Status
Not open for further replies.