PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
It's been in the 100s for two weeks now, today peaking out at 112 Fahrenheit. Even overnight, it won't cool down beyond some 90 degrees. I've pretty much given up on smoking a pipe for now.
So strange, I've tried many different blends and the experience was the same with all of them: tobacco won't burn right because of the humidity, and it tastes so flavorless in the heat.
Any ideas? For now, I've re-opened my good old humidor and enjoyed some long neglected stogies (been going crazy on those 2009 My Father No. 1), which for some weird reason seem to thrive in the current weather. And yet, it appears I have long lost my tolerance for vitamin N and strong cigars, the first MF pretty much knocked me out for a couple of hours ;-)

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I hear ya. There is nothing enjoyable about sitting outside at 7pm, when it's still 90 degrees and 90+% humidity here on the east coast. It sucks because its either raining for extremely uncomfortable lately here.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
That is why I'm thankful for a wife that is ok with my smoking of the pipe indoors. Otherwise I probably wouldn't smoke right now.

B

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I agree. The east coast has been crazy with the high dew points and humidity. The best smokes I have are early in the morning. I did go shark fishing offshore yesterday, and smoked in near perfect conditions!

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Same here in Eastern Ontario. I just rec'd my new Floggle Werks hand made churchwarden pipe and it has been too hot on the patio to start breaking it in. This Canadian is waiting for a "cold front". Bring it on. . .

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Very hot and humid here in the Ohio Valley as well. I can't believe how quick my pipes that otherwise smoke pretty dry are full of condensation. I got a big taste of juice out of a Dunhill last night on the patio. It was awful. Good call on the stogie -I forgot about those and have a few left in the humidor. A cigar just seems to taste great on warm evening.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I may have to crack open the humidor myself, the pipes are doing me no favours with the heat right now. The only thing I can smoke is CH without issue and the flavour is still there. Good way to move in on the 100+ cigars I still have in my humidor.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Oh man - that is unbearable. I feel your pain. I cannot handle hot temps too well. Where I am in VT, it's been very hot, but not even close to that kind of heat. And fortunately I can smoke in our basement where it's cool.
And the temps have been okay at night - so I consider myself very lucky!

Jul 12, 2011
Agree, heat wave here..smoking only outside, covered patio..real feel 100F w/50%+ humidity...really @#$%^&*()
I'm thinking about installing a cooling mist system around the entire patio to lower the temps by 25-30F while out there smoking...

anyone have any experience with mist systems and which low-pressure ones are better than others?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm in the same town as hfearly and Hunter, and I smoke year round in my basement but with the windows open. Admittedly, I've barely had any pipes in the last week since I don't want to open the windows and let out the AC.
Yesterday, I buckled and cranked open the windows around 4pm. I decided to try OGS for the first time, and proceeded to fill a small pipe hoping for a quick one before it got too hot. Interesting experience with OGS...it burned for over an hour an half! Worth it, but it took forever for the AC to cool the place again.
Supposed to be hotter here today too. It's a wall of heat when you go outside.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I was just wondering last night, while debating whether or not I felt like smoking a pipe, if the die-hard pipers get the same satisfaction when the temperature is high, and the humidity is nearly a tangible object. I sure don't. All I want to do at times like these, is lay on the couch with the AC on blast, and drink something ice-cold. The only time I really feel like smoking anything right now is while driving... with the windows down. I'm in Eastern Iowa, btw- where it's not quite 100 degrees, but it's in the 90's and that's more than enough heat for me.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
For Washington, we're hot! 3 weeks of 75 - 93 degree weather (almost unheard of). Throw in the thunder and lightening and I haven't been interested in anything but ice cold water or tea.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
J. F. Germain Plum Cake.

1292439459-Germain%20Plum%20Cake.jpg

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I've started smoking earlier(10:00AM) instead of my noon lunch smoke and I pushed back my after dinner smoke to when the sun starts to dip below the trees(8:00pm) and that helps some but to be honest hot for me is high eighties, I wilt at anything above 90 :)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Presently 92 climbing to 95 here in Central Massachusetts. Too hot for smoking the pipe outside today. Inside will suffice with the air conditioner keeping things comfy. During a round of golf this afternoon it will be cigars not pipe. Then the 19th hole will be the place to replenish lost fluids. :D

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
at times like this, it's good to remember that the cigar was invented in a hot, humid climate, and does very well when smoked under those conditions. Those of you who have been stockpiling your cigars for the perfect have now found it!

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
It's July and I live in Panama City, Florida. Hot and humid is the normal state of affairs. I won't see humidity below 60% or so, well, ever. Welcome to my world. I do love it though! :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, I sure don't want to be clothed in a layer of perspiration and be trying to enjoy a gentle smoke. However, given

the least evening breeze, or an air conditioned room, or even just a good fan (not too direct on the pipe bowl please)

I still enjoy a smoke. I guess I steer toward the lower nicotine tobaccos. I don't need the extra buzz on top of the

flavor. That said, one highlight of a recent trip was a fine smoking session with a friend in Queens who is a serious

pipe devotee. He has fabulous briars and Meerschaums, but also many other level pipes. Good time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke indoors in the summer and outdoors in the winter living in Florida. I think everyone should be allowed to smoke in their home when the weather is not conducive to pipe smoking. Time to get the ball and chain off your backs boys, especially if you are paying the mortgage. Are you men or are you mice, are you the master of your domain or do you kow tow to the squaw in your life. Goddamit stand up for your rights and smoke where you please.
I have the number for a good divorce attorney if she kicks you out. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.