PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am a low volume smoker and I don't smoke more than 30-45 min at a time.

On the other side I tend to like some large bowl which lasts definitely more than that but I am hesitant to buy a large one as I don't want to go with a 2 hour session. Yes, I could just partially fill the bowl, but I am wondering if it is good or not to finish a bowl in two or even 3 different sessions in different days and if there are blends you can or you cannot do in that way.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't like the idea of a half-burnt bowl of tobacco because there is bound to be moisture trapped at the bottom of the bowl. That can't be good for the wood.
Also, I find the re-started bowl has a better than even chance of becoming acrid. Better to start anew each time.

Jun 27, 2016
You could smoke 1/3 of the larger one, stick a pipe-cleaner in it and take a 10-15 minute break, and then finish it. Or, use it for blends that burn a little faster than others. I think that if you let it sit for days, that would not be good. :puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

You're referring to DGT or Delayed Gratification Technique. It's when you start a bowl and come back to it later; sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, and sometimes days for some. This technique works well with straight Virginias and VaPers, but not so well with others. At least this has been my experience.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Whatever floats your boat, don't overthink it.
what-ever-floats-your-goat.jpg

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I do it all the time, and in fact most of the bowls I smoke are smoked in instalments over 1, 2 or even 3 days. Often the revisited bowls are better than the original, dependent how much uncharred tobacco remains. If it's just dottle, it might be pretty dire, but if it's uncharred tobacco pickled in tobacco juices with the excess moisture evaporated, it can be quite nice.
I don't get "precious" about my pipes, and don't worry myself about leaving damp tobacco in it overnight. Neither do I worry about setting fire to vegetation in them :lol:
Don't take anything I say as being the norm though. I am quite "left-brain" when it comes to this hobby, and many might consider my approach and philosophies to be rather simplistic and perchance even brutal. Although even I wouldn't tackle a part bowl that's over three days, or two day old dottle..... but that's only from experience of trying it and deciding I could probably get the same taste by just licking the ashtray clean.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I've done it before but I don't make a habit out of it. I'm just finishing a pipe from last night right now. I lit it while I was driving, and when I came back to the house, it was dinner time, so I put it down and got on with the evening and forgot about it. I don't like doing it with strongly cased tobaccos or latakia heavy ones.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I have been leaving bowls half finished and then coming back to them sometimes several days later. Ben doing this for over 30 years and never had a problem. Sometimes the taste is not as good, sometimes it is better.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo 64a
One of my piping friends who is quite experienced with Virginias uses DGT routinely, even with his high grade pipes. In fact, some of his blends are only puffed via DGT. He will char light them then set the pipe aside for a day or three. They taste better that way.
hp

les

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I do it all the time with no problem and usually improves the taste as mentioned for Va and Vaper

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm guilty. I do this all the time. Once in a while, I'll have even two or three unfinished bowls in the ashtray; for short errands and lazy impromptu smokes, they all pretty much get finished in the end. :oops:
Though I haven't run into any serious consequences with this practice, Cortez makes a good point that it can funk up a pipe. I wouldn't recommend leaving just any blend in for the halftime DGT (I've regretted at least a couple third-act bowls of Nightcap leaving them out overnight). Like mothernature suggested, Virginia forwards fare better; I find Orientals do, too. DGT burleys can get a little cigarettish ...
Anywho, just clean your pipe out well when you do this. :puffy:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Oh, yeah ... to regular practitioners of the Delayed Gratification Technique, I suggest having a windcap or two around.

windcaps.jpg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[I don't like the idea of a half-burnt bowl of tobacco because there is bound to be moisture trapped at the bottom of the bowl. That can't be good for the wood.]
If it can make any difference, for the better or the worse, I am thinking to meers not briars, and I am not thinking leaving there more than 24 hours.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Where the hell did this DGT name come from anyway? :crazy:
While I smoke most of my bowls this way, I certainly don't consider it a "technique". Besides which, it's not delayed gratification at all - smoking is expedited not delayed, as the pipe is already prepped when you come to smoke it - it's just damn good forward planning, and then not consuming more than you need in any one sitting.
No delays, no techniques, just a double dose of wisdom.
But that aside, what's the point of the wind caps?

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Every time I had to leave a pipe half smoked, the taste was not good when I got back to it. At least with english blends.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
64 alex, if you like a big bowl, I would buy at least one. You don't have to use it all, I have large danish freehands that can smoke for well over 2 hours. If it is late and I don't finish one, I put it down. Often the next day when I light it up, it is still great! Maybe better than before. Probably your best bet is with virginia forward flake and cut plug tobaccos.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do it a lot, and almost exclusively with English blends. Bottom of bowl does not get soggy unless you drool down the stem or load tobacco that's not dry enough.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have what they call, "ADHD", and I therefore find half smoked pipes all over. 90% of the time they finish up nicely.
I bought my son a dragonfruit for his birthday.
adhd.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
wybane, love the card! I have a few ADHD friends and they all seem to be overachievers, but yes, their minds do jump around. As to smoking a pipe over several sessions, being a dry smoker, I enjoy this all the time. Sometimes the drying time improves rather than diminishes the smoke. Also, it's nice not to have to choose and pack the pipe sometimes. I still mostly go with one pipe, one session, in the same day, but the "serial bowl" works fine for me and I really enjoy it. A large pipe is ideal for the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.