Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Smoking a cob in public

(92 posts)
  1. pritch13

pritch13

Login to Send PM

I was curious if anyone has ever been hassled by people for smoking their pipe in public. More specifically a cob, as most people just associate them with weed smokers, especially where I live. Am I wrong in assuming that if a cop walked passed me ( I am a fairly young pipe smoker, over 21 though ), that he would more than likely start talking to me about what's in the pipe.

Maybe I am just over thinking this, but would like to hear other peoples experiences.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very few people use cobs for weed ... smoke in confidence and look 'em right in the eye.

Also, very different smell from tobacco and cops know that smell.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. pritch13

pritch13

Login to Send PM

Yeah very true, I'm not the kind of person that likes drawing attention to myself of any kind, yet I am the kind of person that loves real long churchwardens

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. eriksmokes85

eriksmokes85

Login to Send PM

I say who really cares if people have a problem. You do what you want man, obviously you can't smoke in restaurants or buildings but outside is fair game. You walk past cigarettes and a pipe is way more classy and smell a hell of a lot better. And if a cop hassles you it's probably because he is jealous you are enjoying a pipe and he can't.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought you were going to say cobs are too folksy. Some Forums members have mentioned that, and I have strongly encouraged them to play against type and look for opportunities to smoke a cob in a dress suit or a tux. Tobacco pipes are so remote from current cultural patterns that, if you are in a place where you can smoke at all, you can pretty much do as you like, I think.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course you do! Otherwise you wouldn't be dragging a clumsy to smoke and carry churchwarden around in public. Enjoy the stares and arched eyebrows!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Age is part of the issue here. As you get older, you will give less of a fat rat's ass about how you look, or what people think. Smoke your cob. No big deal.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. pritch13

pritch13

Login to Send PM

Yeah I guess so, I am very new to pipe smoking in general but from what I have seen here, in NYC anything goes

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So people stare, point or whisper in hushed tones. Give them a nod and a wry smile, it will either leave them confused or grind their gears!

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. aggravatedfarmer

aggravatedfarmer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't seem like the show boating type. Maybe it's the public that ain't used to a fella with a pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

I'm not the kind of person that likes drawing attention to myself

Don't worry. You could probably set fire to yourself in NYC and not get noticed.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very few people use cobs for weed ...

Any pipe that works for tobacco is probably going to be too harsh for weed, which burns hotter (and is drier) and so rewards small bowl, long stem pipes. Also if you do not act like a pothead (furtive, evasive) your average cop is going to keep on going.

But you can always throw on a Grateful Dead tshirt and Ron Paul beanie and see if that changes.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. pritch13

pritch13

Login to Send PM

Hahaha thankyou for the encouragement everybody. Thankfully I do not own any clothes that closely resemble that of any type of hippie pot head lol

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. jessicac

jessicac

Login to Send PM

I generally use the traditional looking pipes when smoking in public so I don't give off the impression of smoking weed. No comments of that nature unless I'm smoking the mini cob.

But as for the derogatory attitude to cobs, I think that because pipers are so rare these days that any pipe be it cob, briar, meer or whatever, is "hipster cool".

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hahaha, I live in China, I am white. People stare anyway
    Seriously though, it's crazy how people can stare at foreigners in China. You can stare back, it doesn't change anything.
    What I do then, I smile and wave, then finally I get a reaction different than the blank stare, they giggle and stop staring.

That bein said. smoking a foot-long pipe in public here wouldn't probably change anything to the staring.
    And about cops... well, it's not like they are doing their jobs. And not a lot of people would be fool enough to smoke weed in public in China.
    Knowing that carrying enough weed to be considered a dealer can get you a bullet ...

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. pritch13

pritch13

Login to Send PM

Well if you can do it in china, I most certainly can here hahaha

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I go lunting with my unfinished Generals, and the only reaction that I get is astonishment that it really is a corn cob. A young couple I met once had to inspect the pipe as they believed that it was wood carved to look like a cob.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

I must agree with much of what's been said. It's to bad that the US has become so anti smoking. Yeah-yeah I understand the heath issue and cigarettes stink... but pipes??? Pipes smell great.

As for corn cobs, when I first began smoking pipes again, I thought corn cobs were ridiculously, something I'd never smoke. NOW!! I own several and enjoy them more then my briars.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The cob pipe is such a classic piece of Americana--exemplifying the best traits of homespun thrift and simplicity. Smoke it with pride.

One of my dreams is to carve a pipe from a corn cob grown on the family farm (the farm my Dad grew up on--my cousin farms it now).

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I thought you were going to say cobs are too folksy. Some Forums members have mentioned that, and I have strongly encouraged them to play against type and look for opportunities to smoke a cob in a dress suit or a tux. Tobacco pipes are so remote from current cultural patterns that, if you are in a place where you can smoke at all, you can pretty much do as you like, I think.

well said

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I frequently allow my pipe to go dead and then carry it in my mouth while I'm out and about. No one has challenged me as I go about my business in the drug or liquor store. In fact, it has initiated some coversations, usually along the lines of, "My Uncle (My Grandpa, My Date, etct) uses to smoke a pipe when I was little and I love the smell."

Like ChasingMember, some I've met refuse to believe my MM Freehand is a real cob.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Eh, just get a Missouri Meerschaum General Corncob, some dark Ray-Bans, a general's cap, and ignore 'em.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice, Ari! I really like that idea.

But I wouldn't smoke a churchwarden in public- too dangerous if there's a crowd- or when walking.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. phxrock

phxrock

Login to Send PM

Chit, I wander the Phoenix Metro area with one of my Cobs dangling from my mouth. All I have ever gotten was smiles and head nods. All I do is smile and nod back. Cobs brings back memories of childhood and past family members.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see there being any hassle unless you are behind the dumpster hunched over and start coughing after you blow a little smoke. The rare occasions I do smoke my pipe in public, I do generally get out of the way, but don't act ashamed. As long as your respectful and don't go blowing smoke in peoples faces it shouldn't ever be a problem :). However, it will get you a few different looks. The first time I smoked my pipe in public I was just sitting up against the car out of the way. A guy looked at me when he passed and did a double take. I could have sworn his eyes were going to fall out. I guess he either though I had quite a pair on me or was just shocked to see someone smoking a pipe in general. So, in itself should just be worth a laugh.

Who is John Galt?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've taken my Freehand to the softball field and got called "General"...I didn't mind.
    I've taken my Morgan to the softball field and got called "Popeye"...I didn't mind.
    I've taken my pipes to the softball field and had some of the guys come over to me just to catch a whiff and tell me that they loved the smell of pipes.
    I've left about 4 gloves at the softball field and never got them back.
    I've placed my pipes up on the ledge in the dugout while I play and have not forgotten one yet.
    The last triple crown winner in baseball, used to smoke in the dugout between innings. (Yaz)

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. eriksmokes85

eriksmokes85

Login to Send PM

I feel like most people stare because the last time they saw a person really enjoying a tobacco pipe was some older fellow when they were a kid, so to see it now is just not so common. most people that i have encountered while smoking in public strike up a conversation with me about their childhood and what not. maybe its cause i like in woods and farms area..

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Had my corn wasp on my desk at work last night, and it attracted more curious individuals than any of my pipes ever have. Had to remove the stem plug for several of them to prove that it is indeed a real corn cob.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

I work for a college police department (not as an officer), and knowing a few things about cops, here are my suggestions:

If you're in an area where smoking is allowed, you have a right to smoke the pipe. Smoking a cob would almost certainly not qualify as a reasonable suspicion that you're doing anything illegal, which is the legal standard to initiate a stop. It DEFINITELY doesn't qualify as probable cause to initiate a search without your consent. That said, police officers can ask you anything you want. How I would answer in that situation would depend on a number of factors. Is the cop asking out of friendly curiosity? If so, there's nothing wrong with being social. He may have an interest in pipe smoking himself. If he/she was being accusatory, I'd be a lot less friendly and willing to talk. Feel free to ask the direct question: Am I being detained or am I free to go. Ask it until you get a yes or no answer. The truth is that even if most police officers are hard-working, decent folks (and most are), there is a "compliance culture" that has permeated the profession here in the U.S., and so some officers do not seem to show enough respect to the idea that if a citizen is not doing anything wrong, they have the right to be left alone.

I'm new to pipe smoking, but I use cobs. I don't hesitate to smoke them in public. Can a cob be used to smoke cannabis? Sure it can. But so can a briar or meerschaum or a can of pepsi, or even an apple. Smoking a cob is not sufficient by itself to be suspicious.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Actually, you will look suspicious....

Suspiciously like an unpretentious person of good taste who recognizes value*

*Not a knock on briars or meerscahums. I plan on buying some briars once I get a little cash saved up and develop my technique a bit more.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

I would not have made the connection with cobs and weed.

I have found that nine times out of ten when I notice people staring at me I need to check my hair...

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can a cob be used to smoke cannabis? Sure it can. But so can a briar or meerschaum or a can of pepsi, or even an apple. Smoking a cob is not sufficient by itself to be suspicious.

Great summary. The fact that 99% of the cob smokers are using it for tobacco helps too!

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

secretretailer

Banned

Login to Send PM

Maybe I am just over thinking this

You are.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know people who are very reluctant to smoke a cob in public. For decades, those who did were considered a country rube. I've done it, and never concerned myself with what somebody thought when I did.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Briar pipes are a beautiful, old world, artisan artform. But ultimately, the point of smoking a pipe is to enjoy tobacco, and cobs are fine for that. One benefit pipe smoking has over other forms of tobacco use is that it can be done on just about any budget. There appears to be a ton of blends and styles that range from dirt cheap to expensive as hell, but quality doesn't equal price. Cobs allow people on a tight budget to enjoy the hobby.

Of course, many prominent folks prefer cobs (insult Mark Twain, and we've got beef). We should reject any attempts at snobbery and looking down on people for how they choose to enjoy tobacco. Life is short. Smoke what you like, and how you like it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I smoke in public its always with a cob, as that's what I carry in my pipe go-bag. I've never had any issues, and when people look a little to long I just say hello and ask how their day is going. I usually get a cordial response and they continue on. Don't be afraid to enjoy your cobs in public.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use to take my second born son on walks around the block when he was young. I would bring a pipe with me and sip on an aromatic in my cob as we walked. One day this couple commented, " you can't wait to get high?" I just said it is a tobacco pipe and moved on. Now I live in California so there is lots of pot smoking going on but....funny how no one conects pipes to,tobacco any more.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

swedishpiper

Login to Send PM

I have 3 pipes but none of them cobs. However, my friends and I smoke our pipes down at a couple of our fav bars in town. We have gotten some sideways glances from time to time, but more often than not we have received nods of appreciation and a few conversations about tobacco. A couple of weeks ago the bartender at our fav craft brewery in town came out to tell us that the customers inside were inquiring about the smoke they were smelling. He told them it was pipe tobacco and asked if they would like him to close the door. They said no, that they were enjoying the smell.

Smoke in confidence! Those who are going to complain are going to find something to complain about regardless.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Buster:

Yeah, living in Oakland (well sort of), the smell of marijuana is everywhere. It's essentially decriminalized (and really, the police have much more important things to do), and outright legal for those with medical recs. You definitely see more people smoking weed in the Bay Area than tobacco pipes. Hey, as far as I'm concerned that's fine. Nobody is bothering me by smoking herb. What galls me a bit though is the attitude some weed smokers take towards tobacco smokers. I am sure it goes both ways, but I'm all about respect and tolerance. It's all about that pursuit of happiness.

Like Swedishpiper says, there are some people who will be hell-bent on finding something to complain about. These people don't seem to understand that the nature of living in a society means that you put up with some things you don't personally like, but that don't tangibly harm you, so that you will be left alone when it comes to the things you do that others don't like. Working in a PD, I see this all the time. It's unbelievable the kinds of things people will snitch on others for. Things that have zero or minimal effect on the complainants. I suppose their lives are so perfect that they no longer need to work on themselves and are free to start working on others' shortcomings? Yeah, right....

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a friend that smokes Hippie Cabbage out of that tiny little cob they make that looks like it belongs on a key chain.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Things being what they are with political correctness, it probably does not register with most non smokers what type of pipe you are smoking. I guess a cob is something they might relate to by movies or whatever, but it strikes me that if they are not negative about the smoke itself, the pipe you are smoking is more a thing your hung up about than them.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

porchsitter

Login to Send PM

I have had someone make the international toke hand signal when I was smoking my cob in a public park. However, I figured it was more to do with my constant relighting than the cob itself! But whatever they think is fine. If they care to come ask if they can buy or offer to sell any of their smoking choice I will gladly show them my badge and handcuffs. It is called DOPE for a reason!

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

I would not have associated a cob with smoking weed, either (reference seagulplayer). It makes sense, I guess, as they are cheap, but most are sold in high-end tobacco shops or must be purchased online (here in NC anyways). Every convenience store I go into has a case of "glass tobacco pipes" and we all know those are not for smoking tobacco. Never seen one of those at my pipe shop.

When somebody sees me with my pipe (cob or briar) and gives a strange look (which is very rare), I like to think it's because they are not used to seeing such sophistication and intelligence! People tend to smoke cigarettes because they're quick and disposable, or pot because it makes them seem cool.

Well you know what? I'm tired of living in a world where everything is disposable and where I have to live up to the expectations of people I don't even know. It seems everything is so fast-paced. And everything, including our expensive phones and computers, are made to be disposed of after a few years.

With my pipe I say, "Screw you, world! I'm not disposable, I'm here to stay. I'm not here to impress you. Take your political correctness and your rules and shove them up your....."

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little carried away. Smoke your pipe and enjoy it. Let the rest of the world follow the sheep off the cliff.

"I don’t want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." - Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  44. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm tired of living in a world where everything is disposable and where I have to live up to the expectations of people I don't even know. It seems everything is so fast-paced. And everything, including our expensive phones and computers, are made to be disposed of after a few years.

I find this also disturbing and have a similar response. We are leaving behind heaps of junk as an insult to the great gift of life.

It's why I spent a fair amount of time restoring older machines. For most people, they don't need anything that was not around in 1997.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With my pipe I say, "Screw you, world! I'm not disposable, I'm here to stay. I'm not here to impress you. Take your political correctness and your rules and shove them up your....."

I am totally with you! The world of today doesn´t understand the quiet tones...

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 3 years ago #
  46. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're not smoking in a no-smoking area, you shouldn't have to explain it to people. I know they don't necessarily want my pipe tobacco with their lunch, even their picnic lunch, and they may feel protective of their kids' fresh air. On the other hand, some people just want an excuse to enforce rules that may or may not exist or apply. With another rule, like not taking flash pictures in an art museum, I've had to lecture silly museum guests that photos are okay, just not flash pictures. Blah-blah. Most people don't want to bother with it, just want to be left alone, and won't complain even in a no-smoking area. I try to be considerate, careful, and if pressed rightly or wrongly, just leave the area. I don't want to abuse others (if they're in the right or have justification) and I don't want to be around crazies who don't. It's seldom worth the heroics, even if you way-have the upper hand.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As someone who served 21 years in a military service which spent a lot of time seizing and arresting people smuggling marijuana, I can safely say there is no way to confuse the smell of pot with any good pipe tobacco I've ever smoked.

That being said, I have been known to smoke one of my cobs while wearing my Grateful Dead T-Shirt.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  48. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoked a cob with PA while wearing a cowboy hat in the Iwan Ries smoking lounge about three years ago.
    When you reach a certain age you no longer give a rats ass what others think.
    Other than that I've never heard of cobs being associated with smoking weed, but then again it's been about 45 years or so since I've been into that sort of thing.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  49. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

When you reach a certain age you no longer give a rats ass what others think.

+1000

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. samanden

samanden

Login to Send PM

While I smoke all of my pipes in public (even my meerschaum churchwarded), I only smoke my cob on public beaches; it seems to fit the aesthetics and for some reason my cob does particularly well against a strong ocean breeze.

~Slow and steady wins the taste.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

drunkblowhard

Login to Send PM

I get the the occasional double take while driving around LA with a pipe clenched. I take it as a compliment!

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

I have had someone make the international toke hand signal when I was smoking my cob in a public park. However, I figured it was more to do with my constant relighting than the cob itself! But whatever they think is fine. If they care to come ask if they can buy or offer to sell any of their smoking choice I will gladly show them my badge and handcuffs. It is called DOPE for a reason!

Why, Porchsitter? Is there something inherently worse about peacefully smoking marijuana in public than tobacco? As smokers, we should be the last ones to think that just because a law exists, that makes it just or worth enforcing, right? Not trying to start a fight, but if we want tolerance for our vices, we need to tolerate others'.

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd much rather 20 guys have a pipe and then go jump into their vehicles than four guys smoking marijuana and then climbing into their cars and heading out in the interstate.

Also, the citizens make the law and then hire cops to enforce them. Cops have a bit of discretion but, the citizens pay the salary and make the rules. You can make the choice to break the rules, just shut up about it and take your medicine when you get busted. Your choice, society's rules.

Edit: And for crying out loud do not bring liquor into this discussion. Apples and oranges.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Driving while intoxicated is its own separate crime. Whether it's booze, weed, blow or prescription pills, you can't do that, and if you get popped, you get popped. And liquor and marijuana are apples and oranges. One is a powerful, addictive, CNS-depressant that kills many people each year. The other is marijuana.

Cops have a LOT of discretion, most places. And legally, tobacco and marijuana are heading in two different directions. Do pipe smokers want allies when it comes to smoking bans, or do they want to carve out exemptions only for themselves (and fail)?

Sorry. I know this isn't a political forum, but working in a police office, every day I see people justify what they do while condemning what others do, when morally, there isn't much difference. You know what the difference between someone who takes 8 hydrocodones a day and a heroin addict is? Health insurance and access to a doctor. Just sayin'

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

when morally, there isn't much difference. You know what the difference between someone who takes 8 hydrocodones a day and a heroin addict is? Health insurance and access to a doctor. Just sayin'

I'm sure my wife who shattered 3 vertebrae in a car accident will appreciate you comparing her to a heroin addict. Paint the whole world with a broad brush and someone will take that brush and shove it up your ass. Just sayin'

Posted 3 years ago #
  56. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two different situations entirely. But, it begs the question: Do we really want to add another hazard to the road? Just saying. Driving while impaired is driving while impaired and we certainly do not need to add to the carnage. So, legalizing another vice, while admirable in some ways, simply adds to the problem. That's a no-brainer. To deny marijuana to the mix will have consequences. Just more impaired drivers on the road. I'm not saying one is better than the other, driving under the influence of either is hazardous.

I seriously doubt people will fund the needed enforcement or the additional jail beds. I'm not looking at it as a problem of morals. Society will find that the unintended consequences are expensive in moneys and lives. I understood who I worked for, I just never understood the unwillingness to shell out the moneys for the additional enforcement and prosecution.

The result of society legalizing additional vices is increasing need for more police, courts, prison beds, and road carnage. If that is acceptable far be it from me to decry what what the voters want. Just wish they were so willing to pay for the consequences.

Posted 3 years ago #
  57. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, I can see your point. But I also know between a drunk and someone on marijuana the guy on marijuana is much, much easier to deal with. When I got out of the service I was a reserve deputy in Montana. I know you have much more LEO experience than I do. But drunks were always unpredictable and tended towards violence. The marijuana user was the opposite, perhaps not a pleasure to deal with, but if I had the choice of which I have deal with I pick the stoner every time. There are always exceptions, but overall that was what I experienced.

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

So, I was going to comment on smoking a cob in public, but I think I entered the wrong thread? Hmmm strange I could have swore it was in here....

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  59. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here in Vegas people usually use glass pipes or water bongs for weed. Some have gone all techy and vape. Haven't heard of anyone around here using a corn cob for weed. Most pot users say it'd be stupid to because the corn or briar would absorb the THC and you wouldn't get as high as if you used a glass pipe or water bong.

I don't smoke in public much and I don't think I've ever smoked a cob in public. I may change that this year though. Picked up one of those awesome Mark Twain models and this time of year seems fitting for a cob to me. Strolling around with a cob full of Sleepy Hollow from Straus, don't think it gets more fall than that.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  60. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

I have never seen a person but myself and my father in law smoke a corn cob. ( I bought him the cob so..)

And I haven't seen anyone but my father in law smoke a pipe in several years! The only piper I can think of is an old man who lived near my wifes house when we were young, he smoked a Falcon I think and something really nice smelling. He'd walk miles each day and we'd pass him now and then.

And I've never once assumed anyone was smoking weed in an actual pipe.. nor would I if I saw a youngster with a pipe in public.

Annnd, of all the loser pot heads I've known over the years, not a single one smoked weed in a pipe that wasn't some gross little metal crack pipe thing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  61. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually the OP is correct, lots of MJ smokers use a corncob pipe. The thinking is they are cheap and can be thrown away with little cost. They don't look like a MJ pipe and arouse no suspicion if found by LE during a search. I ride a HD and know lots of MJ smokers, I have no issue with them and they know it. Some have asked if they could have some baccy to cover scent. I draw the line at handing out my baccy lol!! But the OPs premise is correct and LE know about it so not sure of the efficacy of the idea.

Happy puffing to all!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  62. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just curious, where do you live that pot heads use corn cobs to smoke weed?

Posted 3 years ago #
  63. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

USA

Posted 3 years ago #
  64. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...I think he was rather hoping that you would be more specific. HD is Harley-Davidson?

Posted 3 years ago #
  65. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...I think he was rather hoping that you would be more specific. HD is Harley-Davidson?

Damn... I'm really getting tired with all the acronyms on this site. I thought that perhaps HD referred to hemorrhoid disease, high definition, or hard drive, etc. How about we take the time and effort to spell things out every so often. As for one driving a Harley-Davidson (HD) what possible difference does that make as opposed to another make of a motor cycle? Does driving a Harley-Davidson make one more exposed to those that smoke pot in a cob? All in jest of course as I find this whole topic rather amusing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  66. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course you do, Phil. Of course you do.

He rides a High Definition Hard Drive which is a Highly Desired murdercikle.

Posted 3 years ago #
  67. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with your tactical assessment of the situation elbert! But to quote the Dread Pirate Roberts, " Get used to living with disappointment." Favorite line from a movie, any guesses what movie? I do not like to provide my location on a open forum, because so very much information is taken from us by the government, insurance companies, hospitals, Department of Vetran Affairs, Law Enforcement at Federal, state, and local jurisdiction. That I pride myself on keeping sensitive information under a OPPERATIONAL SECURITY (OPSEC) sub task. Current location falls under OPSEC. As I get to know members better a PM asking the same information may not fall under my OPSEC.

Phil yes, HD is Harley Davidson. One does not drive a Harley Davidson, one or two ride a Harley Davidson. If I have to explain why it is so important to point out that I ride a Harley Davidson and not some other motorcycle, you simply will not understand the explanation. No worries Phil, I have always enjoyed your posts, and your Avitar (Lee was the man!) is squared away, I have no issue with you. Side note, have you checked out the Lee Van Cleef meerschaum pipe? It is the one he smokes in "A few dollars more" if not, do a Google search it comes up. I want one quite badly lol!!

Warren, close lol, I actually ride a High Definition, Hard Drive while suffering from Hemroid Disease, not to mention the Huge Discomfort, while eating Hot Dogs, and drinking Highly Drinkable coffee on unusually Hot Days searching for a Hot Date in order to try for some Horizontal Dancing on my Highly Desirable, Homicidally Deranged murdercycle!!

Now Warren Hows Dat one?

Posted 3 years ago #
  68. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's a whole lot of words that have nothing to do with the thread?

Posted 3 years ago #
  69. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would think smoking a Cob in public would not arise suspicion...

Posted 3 years ago #
  70. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do not like to provide my location on a open forum, because so very much information is taken from us by the government, insurance companies, hospitals, Department of Vetran Affairs, Law Enforcement at Federal, state, and local jurisdiction.

How do you know I'm not an NSA agent who already knows your location?

To me it seems a rather paranoid approach to life on the internet, but it's your choice.

Posted 3 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow