PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Recently I executed a trade with another Forum member to obtain a sealed 45-year-old 14-ounce tin of American Tobacco Company's Half and Half pipe-tobacco. I am a sucker for this blend, as it was my late paternal grandfather's favorite. Its distinctive aroma is inextricably associated with my fond memories of him.
The top of the tin was slightly bulged from fermentation, and the "whoosh" as I broke the seal filled the air in my den with a fine fragrance. After all this time the tobacco was still slightly moist! The top half was loose, but the bottom half was compressed to the point that I had to use a table knife to remove it from the can. In honor of my grandfather I chose to sample this in a Falcon pipe, one of his favorite brands, although I have none of his. I filled it carefully, and then retired to the back piazza for a smoke down memory lane.
This tobacco lit with ease. Its Burley delivered a deep bass note flavor almost identical to that which I have experienced in smoking aged Prince Albert. The top note, which always reminded me of clove-spiced apples, and which I attribute to the Virginia Bright (although with some added casing), was still there, but slightly muted. The smoke was rich and creamy, without gurgle or bite, and it left a pleasant aftertaste in my mouth.
The cut of this version is finer than that of the later Pinkerton and the current Scandinavian Tobacco Group versions, and it burned beautifully well to a gray-white ash. Further, the aroma of the bowl several hours later was that of pure pipey-goodness. Unfortunately it was very windy this evening, and in my excitement I was smoking too fast, both of which contributed to a very warm bowl. To help control this I let the pipe go out several times, and then relit. Absent the wind, I believe that I could have enjoyed the entire bowl with no relights.
I was impressed with this codger, and am eager to see how it smokes when both the wind and I are calmer!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice! Sounds like a wonderful trip back to the past. Priceless indeed. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tub of Half and Half that is unopened and about three or four years old from when I bought it. I doubt it has improved a lot, but the Virginia half of the mix might have improved a little.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I would think that in a tin that old there should be deer tongue in the blend. I don't remember when they took it out of H&H but it was surely later than the date of your tin. One of the reasons I smoke C&D Gentleman Caller is that it reminds me of the old H&H.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
What a great memory over 50 years ago Half & Half was my first smoke and I still smoke it most of the time. Thanks for sharing a great memory :puffy:

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
What a great memory over 50 years ago Half & Half was my first smoke and I still smoke it most of the time. Thanks for sharing a great memory :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoking history tied to family that you like. Sounds great, and with 14 ozs you can do it many times!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
So, would you advise us to be storing our codger blends for 45 years?
45 years from now I'll probably be dead, but at least where I'll be I won't have trouble keeping it lit ;)

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
About a year or so ago, I won a 7oz sealed can of Half & Half from the 1950's (all metal with a key for lid opening) from ebay. The can was moderately swollen and upon opening the content there was a very sweet smelling, medium-dark brown riff cut. It was springy to the touch without any evidence of a chemical smell. It smoked like a charm. The manufacturer was The American Tobacco Co. This old sample was definitely a 4 star smoke and I'll be sorry when it's gone. After reading this thread, I had two bowls yesterday (still soft as a baby's bottom!)...just sublime. My daughter said that the room note was very comforting. I have yet to try the newer incarnation of this. Back in the 90s I used to purchase it (still in the foil pouch) and mix it with Capt Black regular. I got the idea from a guy I met at a Civil War reenactment event. I got a whiff of his pipe and smelled CBR with that "something extra." Asking him about it revealed he added equal amounts of H&H to the mix. I labeled it "Civil War Blend" and felt it ramped up the CBR considerably...reminding me to give the blend another go-round!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
it was my late paternal grandfather's favorite. Its distinctive aroma is inextricably associated with my fond memories of him.
This exactly, except for me it was my uncle, who really drew me in pipe smoking. 45 years ago I was 10 and visited him regularly and he might very well have been opening just such a tin. Good memories.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
docspipe:
I tried the current iteration of Half and Half manufactured by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, and found it to be insipid, tasting nothing like the original American Tobacco Company's product. To my palate the Pinkerton Tobacco Company's version was closer in taste; however, the quality of their leaf was inferior.
Thank-you for the suggestion regarding mixing Half and Half with Captain Black (white label)! I like the latter, and the thought of mixing the two would have never occured to me, so I will be trying that experiment later this week.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw, Thanks for sharing your experience and comparison to more recent iterations of Half and Half. One question: How do you date a tin of Half and Half? I have some sealed tins from the American Tobacco and American Tobacco/American Brands eras, but I have never been sure of their age. One tin has a barcode, so I am guessing it is not 45 years old.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"45 years old? Thats some age. I think 25-30 is the oldest I've had."
In that same trade I also received a seven-ounce tin of Willoughby Taylor Pipe Mixture (which I am guessing is at least 60-years old) and another, even older, 14-ounce or one-pound (its label doesn't specify), tin of Half and Half. The seals on both of these had been compromised due to corrosion, but the tobacco inside still retained a good aroma. I am in the process of rehydrating them now, and am looking forward to sampling each just as soon as that process is complete.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"How do you date a tin of Half and Half?"
In all honesty I do not know. The Seller indicated he thought that the newest of the two tins which I purchased dated to the late 1960s, so, erring on the side of caution, I guessed at 1970. The older one is the yellow tin which looks like a barrel and which has the green Half and Half label front and rear. My best guess is that it dates to the 1950s or earlier.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw, And here I was hoping you had a magic decoder ring or other mystical powers. Sometimes we have only have the say-so of sellers. I, too, would guess the barrel-style tin is from the 1950s.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I just opened my can. It had a nice whooshhhhhhhhhh, as the air crept back in. I though maybe it would be rusted through but thank goodness no. It was a can from the American Tobacco Company, a subsidiary of such and such company. I think it means it was made between 1969 and the late 80's as far as I can tell. I cant wait to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.