PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I recently scored a pile of this tobacco.
Should I designate a pipe for it?
How do you like to prepare it?
Tell us all your 1792 tales and secrets.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a pipe designated to it. It certainly smells of the stuff. I dry it and rub it out really well and pack it loose. It requires some relights, and if you are sloppy with preparing it, you can't keep it lit unless you set your pipe on fire.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
After smoking 1792 for a while you might want to try Lakeland Dark. It is the unscented version and superior, I think. Of course, 1792 is so weird, it will always have its own place in the tobacco universe.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
A lot of reviewers warn you to sit down and puff gently , apparently there’s a huge nic hit
I would try half bowl or cut it to gauge

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A lot of reviewers warn you to sit down and puff gently , apparently there’s a huge nic hit
And I am jealous of every one of them. I never get a nic hit from a pipe. :crying:

I love strong tobaccos, and I don't even mind the flavors in the GH&co Twists, or even the light flavorings in Dark Flake unscented. But, I was given a tin of this years ago, and I just never developed a love of that tonquin bean scenting. I was able to smoke the whole tin, but it took a while. I found that if I just smoked it in a huge bowl, dried out well, and thought of as a large strange cigar... I was able to finish the tin.
You may like the scenting. For some it comes easier than others. Hit or miss. But, I did not notice it ghosting any of my pipes. It does leave behind it's scent in the pipe, but it quickly dissipates after you smoke something else, preferably another heavy hitter. I just wouldn't use a favorite Virginia pipe to smoke it in.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I regret not buying the 1792 on saltedplugs sale. 1792 is pretty amazing. I smoke it using many methods and all give me a great experience. 1792 flake is versatile no doubt. Looking for a flavor and nicotine powerhouse of a smoke? Rub it out and dry it thoroughly before packing nice and tight and you'll be rewarded with thick plumes of aromatic smoke and a rush or nicotine goodness. Want to slow it down and savor every morsel with a slow nicotine buildup? Dry it lightly so that it still has a nice texture and is pliable then fold and stuff. Lightly moist and rubbed out for the middle road. I've yet to be disappointed by any of these methods. 1792 smokes like an intoxicating perfumed dream for me every time unless I leave it soaking wet maybe. Under the right circumstances the nicotine can be overwhelming, though. I'd eat first if you don't have an iron lung.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I buy 1792 in the large box when available. I first set all the flakes on a tray and dry them for one full day (minimum). Then I cube them and then transfer to mason jars. That way is ready to smoke on a whim and no need to do the Gawith drying ritual. I am currently smoking a jar of pre dried cubes from 2015 and they smoke perfectly.
I don’t dedicate a pipe to 1792 per se. But I do smoke it out of pipes that also see Bob’s Chocolate Flake.

Sep 18, 2015
I haven’t noticed any ghosting yet, I cubed & dried a bit, loaded a Von Erik chimney and fired er up, took damn near 5hrs to finish! For the most part I simply rub it out and go with a short wide bowl, I tried some in a meer and wasn’t very impressed.

The batch I’ve got is also from Saltedplug’s sale. I’m curious, does the flavoring fade with age? I was actually expecting something a LOT more ‘in your face’ I haven’t tried any fresh so I don’t have anything to compare it with. I do like it a lot!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It is not 'In your face!'- like a nose or a mouth or anything. It's noticably there, but will fade during the smoke until after three hours you barely sense it or anything else.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I think I’m slowly developing a tolerance
But I’m gonna put that one on the back burner for now

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking 1792 for many years. I slice it very thin with an Ulu knife and then strip the flakes and rub it out for loading. I love the stuff.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I pull a flake apart into small quarter inch pieces and then gravity fill my pipe. Drying is essential. I don't think it's possible to get a Samuel Gawith blend bone dry, but the closer you can get it there, the better.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I rub it out, I'm not sure if the moisture varies by batch or if my technique improved. The first tin I smoked seemed like I couldn't keep it lit, the second I let sit open for 3 or 4 hours and it makes me wonder what was wrong with the first one, no problems with the moisture or staying lit. The topping seems to me to be less impactful than I remembered initially. That seems to be the way for me, toppings seem less powerful once they're not new to me.
I did not dedicate a pipe to it, but I don't mix my VA or VaPer pipes with it, I dedicated a couple to that genre. So it might be 1792 or GH Coniston Cut Plug, or a few others in the same pipe. But it works for me. My pipes might rest 6 or 8 weeks, so I don't notice ghosting. It's good stuff, and I second the notion of trying Lakeland Dark. I love the strength, the impact on the palette. But I wouldn't say the nic hit bowls me over. That's probably a personal tolerance, I'll go 2 bowls in a row for a 3 hour smoke and love it.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
One of my favorite blends. Air dry a bit and rub out the flakes. I would dedicate a pipe as I think it will ghost. Not like ennerdale, but it will. And be careful, it's strong!

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I smoke 1792 out of a cob. I like it a lot when I’m in the mood. Though I’m on the fence whether I like it enough to smoke it out of one of my briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.