[closed]

Smoking 100+ Year Old Balkan Sobranie Cigarettes

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by samcoffeeman
  • Latest reply from jvnshr
  1. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

I know this may be a faux pas, as this is a pipe site, but I digress. When I Saw this on eBay for @$30 I said why the hell not. And ya know what, they're damn tasty..non filtered in a early(patent number) Dunhill cigarette holder. They have a Virginia Tang, very flavorful, incredibly rich and smooth. Just realized I don't have a picture of the tax stamp on the back that says series of 1910!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Wow! That's amazing that they're not stale mummy dust! Congrats! My favorite coffin nails were the Sobranie Chaliapin cigarettes. Wonderfully rich smokes.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I could have tried cigarettes when they were actually made of quality tobaccos. Mike McNeil talks very highly of the old school cigarettes that came in tins. I imagine they were very flavorful more akin to pipe tobacco. Cigarettes these days are mainly to give you a fix rather than flavor.

Great score on those, man!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. tabriar

TAB

Login to Send PM

WOW! That's pretty cool.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike McNeil of McClelland fame absolutely LOVES pre-war tinned cigarettes. They're in excellent condition surprisingly often. Several years ago I had a couple from his stash that the tax stamp dated to 1915. (I think he broke them out because it was their 100th birthday). Yum, yum.

Seriously, if any of you pipesmagaziners come across an intact, sealed tin of old cigarettes, regardless of brand, let him know. Or contact me and I'll let him know. You'll have a no-haggle sale if the price is anything close to reasonable.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I brought some pre-1960 cigarettes to the KC pipe show and McNiel, Brian Levine, Lee Von Erck, and Greg Pease just enjoyed the hell out of them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, those look tasty. Used to smoke Players when there was extra change in my pocket.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had what would now be 50 year old Sobranies. But I smoked them a half century ago.....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. slowroll

slowroll

Login to Send PM

Now all this brings back memories. Not of 100 years ago, but a while. I used to occasionally smoke Sobranie cigarettes, and the odd pack of Gitanes, along with my Sobranie pipe tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those look delicious. Even as recently as the 1980s, cigarettes had some flavor. Now they are different varieties of an ashy taste.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike McNeil of McClelland fame absolutely LOVES pre-war tinned cigarettes. They're in excellent condition surprisingly often. Several years ago I had a couple from his stash that the tax stamp dated to 1915. (I think he broke them out because it was their 100th birthday). Yum, yum.

That is really cool you got to try some with him!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have smoked sealed cutter top tins of Woodbine, Players, Players Weights and Park Drive over the years. I have smoked some stuff that was circa 1916 from an unopened package of stuff destined for the troops in France during WW1. They taste a lot better than anything modern I can tell you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I miss Sobranie, Turkish Specials, Jockey Club and Karelias. Great taste.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gave up the nails ten years ago when I turned fifty.

But I'd gladly give up the extra days, months or years in a nursing home to smoke one of those vintage fags.

So jealous, but so happy for you, Sam.

Fnord

PS. My 92 year old, soon to be, ex-mother-in-law has a lump of static lung cancer in her lower left lobe. To me, it's the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded and there's two outs. "Mary? Would you like to start smoking again?" WTF not? F.

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George beat me to it!

Call Mike McNeil if you come across more! Or heck, even if you just want to share!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That box of Player's Navy Cuts brings back some memories. I used to enjoy those, along with English Ovals and Turkish Specials. Even a pack of Caporals once in a while, when I wanted a little extra hair on my chest.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm always looking out for some..ive never had the opportunity to try one of that vintage.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing it with us Sam. I envy you. Unfortunately, I have to close this one (rules) while smoking a Korean Parliament Hybrid. I used to smoke it a lot when I used to live in Korea. I am on a business trip and although I quit smoking cigarettes some time ago, I said why not to remember those old days.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cortezattic, jaygreen55, georged, brooklynpiper