PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
Yea, not wise but it's what I had with me on a hike in the woods today and got caught in a downpour. Really it was a nice ending to my week, peaceful and all so I kept smoking my MM unfinished Pride by keeping my hand covering the bowl until it was coming down way too hard. Actually got wet in my jacket's pocket and seemed to swell up and look all frayed in spots. So I'm curious about how long it might need to fully dry seeing as how just smoking it a lot seems to need some dry time?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Should dry in a day or two, depending on the humidity. If it doesn't dry fast enough for you, put it in a water glass and fill the glass with dry white rice. Works like a champ.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In the future, simply tamp the tobacco down, and invert the bowl.
img_20170519_144830188-600x450.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than my MM reverse calabash and Great Dane bent egg, all of my cobs are harsh weather work horses, and none are any worse for wear. Let that little guy dry for a day or two, and it will be ready to serve you again.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Poor wet cob ...
It'll be fine when it dries. I've found the naked cobs handle this kind of treatment best of all.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
Jp I gotta assume you're kidding, but I'm so new you could probably convince me of anything. I'm gonna try it either way! :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
...and now imagine a briar being exposed to such rain....

Proofs my point once again, that Corn & Clay are superior to Briar in almost any aspect than design possibilities.
My briars have endured not only rainstorms, but two of them got doused in a swimming pool when lit!!, and all of them get a hot water rinse after most smokes. I don't rinse my cobs in water, ever, as they are subject to disintegration.
PS- Were you joking??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
actually I wasn't joking, as I got told to keep briar from water of any kind
I know you weren't, and some of my high grades will never see nasty weather, but most of my pipes see all kinds of conditions. BTW, smoke a lakeland in a cob and see how ghost proof they are. :mrgreen:

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
A friend of mine dropped his briar when discarding the ashes out of the window of his smoking lair. It fell into his garden and he was simply too lazy to go downstairs and fetch it. The next day he had forgotten about the pipe. Six month later he found it when taking care of the garden. It received a quick refurb from me and smokes like a champ again! :lol: :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.