Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
10580089_10152646396232889_8880381063190362355_n.jpg

10628561_10152646396292889_6272341412906412622_n.jpg

10382164_10152646396372889_4830467827992942800_n.jpg

10482428_10152646396487889_6937677637167846015_n.jpg

Petersons - 3P's
Tin Note: This Plug not only resembles but also smells like sweet candied figs. 4 out of 4
Initial Light: Lit well and evenly after 2-3 false lights had a hay-like taste at the beginning of the smoke. 3 out of 4
Mid-Smoke: The smoke was really mild and easy to draw however not easy to keep lit as it had gone out 3 times on me. By the third time i decided to try some Delayed Gratification (DGT) and let it sit for 30min while I was having a meeting with John to Flush out Certain issues. Sadly upon my return i found that my meeting was more amusing then this smoke. Flavor just wasn't there i thought i tasted sweet Virginia for a min but i think insomnia was just kicking in from the boredom. 2 out of 4
Bottom of the Bowl:Started to smoke a little wet, luckily i was using a pipe with a military mount and was able to remove the stem and blow out the juice. That solved the wetness issue but that same hay-like earthy taste was still there and showed no signs of leaving. 2 out of 4
Room Note: After I came in from my meeting there was a sweet fruity smell from my pipe and it smelt rather good, however Im sure anything would smell good after that meeting (im sorry i had too). 3 out of 4
Dottle: There was a clumpy like ash in the bowl not wet but clumpy as if not all the tobacco lit.
Smoking Duration: 1HR smoke time 30min DGT - This does not include the 30min i was struggling to cut this hefty block of tobacco into flakes and once again into cubes.
Overall: The tin note and the fact that it smoked smooth and mild while not leaving a bad taste in my mouth contributes to the score in a good way. However as good as it was to mindlessly smoke it, it was also mindlessly boring and didn't shock or impress me in any substantial way. With all the other choices out there i probably wont cellar this blend. 14 out of 20.
Recommendations:
Either buy a really sharp knife, cleaver or Nah at it like a chunk of dark chocolate. Because the prep is going to take your patience or your finger.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
There would probably not be enough sales potential to justify it but I sure wish someone would come up with a compact modern version of the heavy clanky old plug cutters that litter the vintage web sites. If it sold for a C-note or less I'd grab one in a flash. Much of the prep difficulties of plugs & ropes would disappear.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have a tin of this that I bought on a whim back in April and I have never got around to smoking it. I only have a few aromatics that I keep on hand just in case I smoke in front of non-smokers, who will appreciate the aromatic. I look forward to trying it now. Thanks for your review!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow, Smokey! I wish I shared your patience and penchant for organization. It's really valuable to keep systematic records. :clap:
I can usually remember whether and how much I liked a blend, but a journal would sure be helpful answering questions about specific characteristics like body, smoothness and taste(s).

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Room Note: After I came in from my meeting there was a sweet fruity smell from my pipe and it smelt rather good, however Im sure anything would smell good after that meeting (im sorry i had too). 3 out of 4
:rofl:

May 31, 2012
There would probably not be enough sales potential to justify it but I sure wish someone would come up with a compact modern version of the heavy clanky old plug cutters that litter the vintage web sites. If it sold for a C-note or less I'd grab one in a flash. Much of the prep difficulties of plugs & ropes would disappear.
Darwin,

get yourself a Yankee Slicer!

They're easy to find for cheap and they're compact too.

6gnr0Op.jpg

They work absolutely perfectly.
As for PPP, I cube cut the entire tin then put it back in and let it sit for a couple of weeks, for some reason I find it to taste better. I like it. I wish there was actually more casing though, the slight traces aren't always at the forefront, and it would be better imho if it had much more burley in it to give it a bit more depth.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Found exactly one, on the 'Bay. Looks pretty rough and the pic is identical to another already ended successful auction. Is this common?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have a tin of this that I bought on a whim back in April and I have never got around to smoking it. I only have a few aromatics that I keep on hand just in case I smoke in front of non-smokers, who will appreciate the aromatic. I look forward to trying it now. Thanks for your review!
Conlejm im not entirely sure how it got its Aromatic Title, it seem more of a Va/Bur to me but more on the Burley side than Virginia. Also i didn't detect any casing. So it remains a mystery to me as in why its classified as an Aro. Maybe one of you can clear that up for me.
Wow, Smokey! I wish I shared your patience and penchant for organization. It's really valuable to keep systematic records. [:clap:]
Honestly Cortez it took me 15 min at work to print all this out and maybe 30 min to organize it all in a binder and all of this could be done while puffin away. The first time is the longest but now its a breeze i just make it a habit when i buy a blend for the cellar or to try. i first add it to my tobaccocellar.com then print the page from tobaccoreviews.com so i have it with me while smoking and i already have extra journal pages printed out. I have gotten so used to it that it feels weird to smoke a pipe and not write anything down lol. I really enriches the experience for me.
get yourself a Yankee Slicer!
Nifty little thing that one, i may look into that.

May 31, 2012
Found exactly one, on the 'Bay. Looks pretty rough and the pic is identical to another already ended successful auction. Is this common?
It's gone unsold since late July, and keeps getting relisted.

Mine is not as spiffy as the one in the pic I posted, they usually command more $ when they have an advertising decal, despite a little rust, mine works a charm, and the blade is easy to sharpen --- but I discovered it's not wise to cut Lat plugs with it, the blade gets all sludgy and it's a bitch to clean, I just use a knife for Lat plugs, they're pretty soft anyways.
Another alternative is something like this, simple and effective I reckon,

https://www.etsy.com/listing/115601141/tobacco-cutter?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=tobacco+cutter&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
Back on PPP,

I don't know why it'd be called an aro, it does have a casing but ever so slight. It smokes very close to Yachtmans Plug, but YP has more casing thus more flavor and edges it out in my book, but PPP is cheaper and more easily had --- but Warrior Plug is the king for me, it's deeper, more full-bodied, and has a wonderful casing.
I've wondered if this baccy is a take off from the old Clarke's Perfect Plug?

Smoke-Clarkes-Perfect-Plug-2.png

I would love it if Peterson issued more plugs based on the Irish classics, that'd be too cool to have a broad range to choose from.
I dipped my toes in an exploration of Irish plugs in this epic thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/for-the-love-of-plugs-an-historical-appreciation
dBbK67V.jpg

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Since July huh? Well that, and all the other plug cutters up for auction with no bids, answers the question of how viable a new product would be. Which is to say not remotely.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Finally nailed a Yankee Slicer on the "Bay. After I get it cleaned up and sharpened I'll be all set.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Any tips on sharpening that curvy blade, or other caveats?

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I love 3P Plug. When I started smoking 3P, I made the mistake of aggressively smoking this tobacco (smoking too fast), and cube cutting it. After experimenting with this tobacco, this is what works best for me. First, I prefer to thin cut the tobacco into thin shavings rather then thick flakes. I rub it out as best as I can, dry it out for 30 minutes, then fill the bowl. I find it is best smoked using slow puffs, just take your time and fill your palate with dense rich 3P smoke. I find the flavors rich tobacco flavors, on the sweet side, with this fruity flavor in the background. I am not sure if aging makes a difference with hard packed tobacco plugs like 3P but I age them 3-4 years before I open the tin up.
Don't give up on this fine tobacco, just be patient and find what cut, and smoking method works best for you.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Mr.lc I finally got my Yankee Slicer in decent operating condition. All set now. Bring on the plugs!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Impressive journal-ing Smokeybear!
i found this blend to be pleasant in a boring way too, but i have used it successfully to add a burley kick to other blends, the bonus of its lack of flavour is that it does not interfere with other flavours when mixed...

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Smokeybear thanks for the review, I'm turning into plug fiend, so its good to get an idea of what PPP is all about.
Mister LC thank you for your link , excellent reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.