Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
10570401_10152633294827889_8331056453492427074_n.jpg

10614264_10152633294892889_5374832975474604344_n.jpg

10603322_10152633294927889_1096099624849215859_n.jpg

10363542_10152633294982889_1398460883336271934_n.jpg

G.L. Pease - Jack Knife Plug
Tin Note: Cadbury Milk Chocolate fruit and nut is what I smell while putting my nose in this tin. 4 out of 4

Initial Light: Took me a couple false lights to get this smoke going but as soon as it started it was a nice creamy thick smoke. I noticed that this plug "rubbed out" likes to expand quite a bit while burning so leave yourself some room in the pipe or else it will fall over top of your bowl and onto your nice red velvet smoking jacket. 3 out of 4
Mid-Smoke: I was getting a really peppery taste at the beginning of the mid bowl not so much that I needed to stop but it was definitely there. I decided to play with the adjustable air flow knob in the front of my kirsten to see if I can limit the air flow to reduce the peppery kick, it helped a bit but I got some serious HICCUPS! and had to take a little rest. The bowl was still going on my return 5 min later.The pepper taste also died down to a nutty flavor that was pleasant and easy to smoke.Taste sort of like almond butter. 3 out of 4
Bottom of the Bowl: Nearing the bottom bowl the smoke did not taste bad but it didn't have as much complexity as i thought it would. Also the closer to the bottom the hotter the pipe smoked and it began to taste like burnt walnuts. 2 out of 4
Room Note: I asked my wife who was sitting outside with me what she thought of the smell of this blend. She told me she couldn't smell anything. Although I did not receive a definitive answer in regards to the smell, I also didn't have to hear any complaints about it. Which gives it a score equivalent to half. 2 out of 4
Dottle: Powder like ash remained in the bowl and coated the inside walls nicely with just a little moister, good conditions for building cake if packed properly.
Smoking Duration: This smoke was about 1hour 15min.
Overall: I'll say that I had no trouble getting the bowl lit and smoking nice and even, also I had no confrontation with any nasty bite. However, it was not as complex as I'd hoped and smoked a little hot near the end of the bowl. No doubt there are pros and cons to this blend, but I do believe all the cons i experienced are perfectly tamable and you can get enjoyment from this blend if you tried. So with that in mind it scores a 14 out of 20.
Recommendations:
1) 1 hour Dry time, I felt it was too dry for my preferences.

2) Try and cut into thin flakes and cube cut due to its tendency to expand I feel that would be a good method to try.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice review Smokey ... sounds like the Kentucky was really changing for you during the smoke!
Maybe that's why I've noticed DGT'ing works well with Dark Fired?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'll be getting into this today. Been busy with putting together and finishing a table and assorted chores.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Compared to ODF i think i enjoyed this blend less, It was a lot stronger and gave me Hiccups lol. and the Peppery aspect in the beginning wasn't an enjoyable experience but it didn't last long.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good review. I have an idea about the hiccups. Were you smoking ODF mostly at home or in a vehicle?
I got the hiccups with ODF but not JKP. I'm wondering if it is really the nicotine that causes hiccups, as I've read in the forums, or is it sucking air to hard, too frequently, when trying to keep a dying bowl lit.
I had some sever hiccups a couple of times when smoking ODF, especially in the car. They disappeared when I switched to 3 Nuns, which once lit, burned like a slow fuse - it hardly ever went out. I think I was subconsciously puffing harder and more frequently to keep ODF lit. They were more likely to occur while driving than at home because, it is more convenient to relight in an arm chair than in a moving car. I think in the car, I work harder to keep the bowl going by puffing up the ember.
Of course, can be some of both.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Brass thats what i thought it was as well i had no idea nicotine gives you hiccups however im a cigarette smoker as well and have never to my knowledge received hiccups from smoking those. I like to believe i got hiccups from playing with the air flow and restricting it to the point that i had to draw in a bit harder which in turn gave me the hiccups. But who really knows.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pease says that JNP is one of his strongest tobaccos as regards nicotine. Hiccups while smoking are an indication of this. If you want to smoke the blend anyway, try putting the pipe down for 5 minutes just before you are feeling that hiccups are beginning; perhaps then you won't get them at all.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
A cig might cause hiccups, if it was a foot long and you smoked it for an hour. For all the bashing the cig companies take about adding nicotine to their tobacco mixes I'm pretty sure that by weight pipe tobacco is much stronger nic-wise. I doubt much of a nic hit is likely if a typical filtered cig is not inhaled.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have given up on JKP. I did not enjoy this blend very much despite some of its properties that I normally like in a cigar. I'll be stuffing some 3P in a pipe today, time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.