PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Hey everyone, I just got a new pipe from Smokers Haven. It is one of their limited availability Cognac Pipes. I stopped by the shop today to have a look around and picked up one of these on a whim. It really is an inexpensive well made pipe. It smokes well, its very light and its drilled properly. If you are looking for a pipe for around $100 (give or take a few bucks) then I really recommend one of these. I saw most of the ones they had available and they were mostly black blast and they had white stems, black stems, yellow stems and a couple amber color stems. They also had had options of white bands, silver bands, and no band. As you can see the one I picked up has a white stem and white band. I also picked up an extra yellow stem to go with it. Anyway, I cant recommend this pipe or smokers haven enough.
p3030633-600x450.jpg

p3030634-600x450.jpg

p3030635-600x450.jpg

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Very nice pipe! I've eyed some of their Buckeye pipes, as well, really nice looking for the money. My doubts about how good the button might be on a hand-finished stem is the only thing that's held me back.
Your Cognac pipe looks like they're being made at Briar Labs, as well? Any experience with how these smoked as compared to the other Briarworks pipes?

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Yes I believe you are right about being made by briarworks. Unfortunately I can't compare them to other briarworks pipes as I have never owned/smoked one. I would assume that they are just as good but cannot verify that.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, I was actually thinking the Cognac/Buckeye pipes might be better, because a smaller production run (I'm assuming here) probably equals more time to focus on the details, not to mention the fact that the guys at Smokers' Haven who hand-finish those stems are artisan pipe makers in their own right, probably with a lot more experience than the artisans who work on the regular Briarworks lines.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Well from what I have seen Icarus pipes run $110 -$250 and Neptune pipes run $150-$300+
I did get a chance to handle/look at those pipes at the columbus show and remember thinking that the stems (particularly of the lower priced offerings) seemed a little thick/chunky. In comparison this stem is fairly thin. It has been my experience that acryllic stems (used on this and most briarworks pipes) usually arent made as thin as ebonite ones. While it s thin, it isn't quite as thin as some really thin/comfortable artisan made pipes that i have seen but its good enough for me, especially for less money then 'most' other briarworks offerings.
If you really are concerned with stem thickness but want an affordable pipe. I would recommend checking out the smokers haven/reddit pipe collaboration. The pipes are made by briarworks and the stems are hand carved ebonite. They are an author shape and really are nice. Prices are $100ish -$200ish depending on blasted or smooth, tan or black blast and black or cumberland stems.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have had one for a while. It is a really solid pipe that feels great in the hand. Right now it is exclusively dedicated to smoking Smoker's Haven Cognac tobacco.

smokers-haven-cognac-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.