PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well, I finally figured out the photo posting routine. ( thanks Kevin, and all the other posts that helped ) So as promised, here is the final result of my repairs and cleaning on the old Smokemaster pipe with the twisted stem I recently got. Yeah, there wasn't too much I could do about the little chip on the back edge of the bowl, and the little crack on the side edge shows too, but it should be fine, as I super glued it. I really like the grain in this little pipe, and it smokes good too. I haven't tried smoking it with the pipe cleaner filter set up yet, as it just seems kind of weird, but I might have to out of curiosity.
img_0132-600x450.jpg
img_0136-600x434.jpg

Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per rule #9. L.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, as it turns out the pipe cleaner filter system in this pipe is not so much a filter, as a moister absorbing object. I had to try this out, and the way the pipe is designed it uses a folded pipe cleaner inserted in the stem under aluminum tube that goes over it. The tube has a hole in the bottom where the pipe cleaner is and as you smoke it the moisture condenses in the tube and is absorbed by the pipe cleaner through the hole. So it really isn't a filter per se, as you can insert a pipe cleaner from the bit to the bowl while you smoke it if you want. It's an interesting set up, and I found that it doesn't affect the flavor of smoking like a actual filter does. It does reduce the moisture coming up the stem to some degree, but not entirely. My feelings about this system is... Meh, don't hate it but don't see that it makes all that much difference either. I'll probably just smoke it without the pipe cleaner in it, because it's less to fuss with. A cute little pipe for a short smoke, and I would buy another if it was as nice as this one, and the price was right.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Agnostic:
You did great, man!
That's a swell looking burner and I'd bet you're smoking some seriously vintage briar that was aged for a long time before that pipe was made back in the 50's or early 60's.
Good catch. Good scrub job. Please let us know how it smokes without the pipe leaner.
Fnord

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Really beautiful pipe. I have come to really love and appreciate silver bands on pipes.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
I LOVE silver bands and other silver bling on a pipe. Pimp my pipe. I have seriously been considering gold plating my falcon for something different. Honestly, if you did not mention the crack or chip I would not have even noticed it. That pipe is stunning and you did a great job on it. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.