PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
I have been smoking for about a year now. This morning was the first time that I have finished a pipe. Smoked it clear down to the bottom of the bowl.

Had to run a pipe cleaner thru it about 3 times.

I was smoking my Peterson Deerstalker and some Newminster Superior Navy Flake.
I rather enjoyed it. But my head is swimming a little. :puffpipe:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
pipesicle:
I can't help wondering what's kept you from finishing a bowl prior to this. Was it just reaching a point where you weren't enjoying it? Was it too tightly packed at the bottom to finish? Too wet to take a relight?
I'm curious because it wouldn't have surprised me if you'd said this after smoking a pipe for a week. . . But when you say that it's been a year, I'm definitely surprised.
Bob

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Bob,

Alot of it is...I just haven't given myself the time to finish my pipe. But I haven't been smoking as much lately and thought that from now on

I am going to take the time as long as I am not smoking as often.
I am sure that it has to do with patience and taking the time to do it right.
I was reading something on another forum a couple of days ago about how the last half of the bowl is the best So I want to give it my best shot from now on.

I want to see what I have been missing.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Allowing myself the time to enjoy a full bowl is one of the greatest pleasures.
May you enjoy many more. :)

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I find when I do not smoke to the bottom of the bowl is (as is frequently cited on this forum) due to not drying the tobacco enough. Frequently I get the gurgle and bite, stop smoking, dump the bowl and can see moisture. Still a rookie and decided to try letting my next smoke dry for an hour+ and hope it works better.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pipesicle, I really enjoy the bottom third of my bowls and always smoke to the bottom. The flavors get more intense and concentrated the lower it gets. I was the same way with my cigars, I always smoked it to a nub because of how intense the flavors would get. I have found that smoking to the bottom works best when you do not put the pipe down for any length of time. I find that if I put my pipe down for more than half an hour to an hour, the flavors are not as good on the bottom. I know some people light up a half finished pipe the next day, but to my tastes, the tobacco gets ashy and bitter the couple of times I tried that. One blend that noticeably stood out was Petersons 3P's. I let that sit for half an hour and when I went back to it, I couldn't finish the bowl. I was amazed at how bitter and nasty it had become after such a short period of time. I think some tobacco's are meant to be smoked in one shot.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
For me it all depends on the type tobacco that I am using whether or not I finish all the tobacco in the bowl. When I am smoking Virginia tobacco I very seldom finish all the way to bottom of the bowl since there is too much moisture created from my FVF or Dunhill Virginia Flake. Whereas, if I am smoking a latakia based tobacco like GLP Lagonda I usually finish the bowl all the way to the bottom. The only reason that I can think of with my Virginia blends is I have to relight much more often therefor creating moisture from saliva and the matches' sulfur.

Status
Not open for further replies.