PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I have had a couple of tins of Escudo lying around for several months, but I've been busy loving English baccy's and lots of different Frog Morton varieties and haven't really gotten around to smoking the Escudo.
Well I did today and . . . wow, really interesting tobacco. I woke up early so I could have a morning smoke. I will start off by saying right now this is probably not a great morning tobacco - it is really a bold experience is the best way I could describe it. This was my first Va/Per tobacco and there was an immediate strong peppery sensation and I was thinking I had made a huge mistake (the mixing with the morning mouthwash did NOT help). But as the smoke went on I got used to the peppery sensation and started to really sense this ebb and flow from the peppery to the really mild - almost creamy.
The smoke just got better and better all the way until the end and the last 1/3 of the bowl was really extraordinary - I was literally grinning as I smoked. I did get the bowl a bit too hot a couple of times because I was so focused on analyzing the tobacco, and I suspect I didn't let it dry enough and I am new to these slices - I could have done a better job packing them. I also wonder if I liked Escudo so much because I also used to smoke cigars a lot, there was a definite affinity between this tobacco and cigar tobacco, I thought, though I won't say it was the same. Maybe that was the perique?
Looking forward to smoking some more and figuring it out a little bit more. It was definitely an enjoyable experience, but I still can't put my finger on all of the different pieces of the experience or the flavors in the tobacco.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Trust me, you hadn't woke up all the way this morning. That stuff is terrible. You should just pack it up and send it to me. Lol

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I smoked it again tonight and I liked it even more. Really good stuff. Not only that, but my wife was fine with the smell. Woo-hoo!

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Good stuff, I have about 10 tins in storage right now, and rotating new tins while I wait....

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I love Escudo, but I agree, it's not an early morning smoke. But late at night while I'm relaxing with a good book and the puppy keeping my feet warm - then it's wonderful :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dread, glad to hear you are enjoying the Escudo, it is one of my favorite blends. I normally smoke it as a second or 3rd bowl of the day, never in the morning as a first. It is just a little strong for me with my coffee and an empty stomach. I was a long time cigar smoker and it was the blend that got me hooked on pipes. That creaminess gets much more pronounced the longer you age it, and the peppery tones tone down a bit also. It does need a little drying before smoking sometimes, depending on the tin. I will either cube cut the coins or fold and stuff them. I also prefer using pipes that are group 4-5.
Since you like this blend I would recommend you trying Solani 633 and Samuel Gawith St James Flake, both are high on my favorite vaper list.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for the tips, Harris. Sigh, my TAD keeps finding new things to inflame it, though these vapers are definitely keepers!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dread, my pleasure. You can never have too many great vapers to smoke. lol
smokey, let it age a while, the peppery component will tame down some. One of the reasons I like Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls is because it is not as peppery as the Escudo to my tastes and is a bit sweeter.
The Solani 633 is definitely not as peppery as Escudo when fresh, it has a much sweeter flavor due to the topping of honey that is in the blend description.

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=6&TID=1423
The reds in it must be small because I can smoke this stuff all day with no bite.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Andrew, I'll bring some Escudo on the 21st that has been opened for a month or so and aging for 9 months. I know it's not that long but maybe it will have mellowed out a bit for you.
Edit: Escudo is one of my favourits, if not my top blend. I have more of this in my meagre cellar than anything else.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
LOL i gave you my tin cause it threw me off so bad but it makes sense that the peppery taste would dissipate over time i may grab one or two tins to age. after trying the nine month one you have.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Escudo is just a top knotch blend. Despite changing hands a couple times it is still one of the best tobaccos out there. And they were able to keep the perique in!

Status
Not open for further replies.