PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiam817

Lurker
May 7, 2013
I smoke without a filter and have never tried smoking with a filter. I have heard that filters trap allot of moisture and have to be changed with every smoke. I wanted to get a few peoples take on smoking both ways (with and without a filter).

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I prefer a filter but most of my pipes are non-filtered. I change my Balsa filters in my Savinellis about every three-four smokes. My 9mm filters in my Stanwells about every four-five smokes.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Most of my pipes are non-filtered and I enjoy them as such......however this past year I purchased some Savinelli's with the 9mm balsa filter (which I had never used) and on blends that tend to smoke wet they absorb a great deal of the moisture, on some harsh or hot blends that I have set aside .....I have retried with the filter and found them to be smoother.....and I actually enjoy them. The Savs have become my favorites. I now have 5 w/balsa systems. Just one man's take - maybe something to try - I was not impressed years ago with the paper kind. Happy Piping!

Jan 8, 2013
I have a 9mm Rattray's that I enjoy. I dont always use the filters, but I have found that they cut back the bite on alot of aros. They generally need changing every 4-5 bowls.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Filters for me takes out some of the taste and makes depending on the pipe the draw different. That effects packing,and that effects the overall quality of the smoke.Moisture can be controlled by drying your tobac.In my opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one filtered MM cob and a Dr. Grabow. All my other pipes are unfiltered, even my Savenellis -- an Oscar Lucite prince, a

churchwarden 601, and two unfinished pipes decades old, an elegant slim straight billiard and a 404 zulu/yacht. I would rather

smoke a milder tobacco, in general, than tame a harsh tobacco with a filter, but I occasionally do, for example, when a tobacco

gets more bite as it dries. For whatever reason, I don't seem to have a lot of moisture problems in smoking, so that isn't an issue

for me. I change my filters about every three smokes. I understand all of the 6mm filters -- balsa, Dr. Grabow, and Medico -- are

interchangeable in pipes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I change the filter in my savinelli's and Big Ben's every 2 or 3 bowls. Filters are cheap so doesn't bother me. I have several non filtered pipes I enjoy as well.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I will use filtered pipes (or Pete system pipes) when driving because I am a wet smoker. Trying to run a pipe cleaner through a pipe on a highway is probably the equivalent to drinking a six pack and getting behind the wheel as far as affecting my driving skills.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I always use 9mm filters in most of my pipes. Works better for me, than without filters.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I go both ways. I always use the balsa filters in my Sav because it cuts down on moisture, gunk and reduces tongue bite. It also doesn't affect the flavor in any way.
I use charcoal and paper filters in my Grabows and cobs. They do affect the flavor, but they also make a lot of aromatics or harsh blends palatable. It's probably no coincidence that those pipes had their heyday when aromatics became the tobaccos of choice for American pipe smokers.
I sometimes use Denocitea pipe crystals. A lot of people despite the very idea of them, but I've really come to like them. There are a lot of virginias I couldn't smoke at all until I tried them. They do a LOT toward reducing bite, and they create an air pocket at the bottom of the bowl (like the "Frank method" of packing shoots for).
Everybody has a different opinion, though.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I use my filter pipes with filters mostly for smoking aromatics. They definitely cut down on the moisture and dont affect the flavor enough for me to take note. A lot of people dislike filters based on the idea of a filter without really trying them or understanding what they do.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Like Doc, it depends on the pipe...I use filters in my MM cobs and a few others....it will also depend on the tobacco...some tobaccos that are too peppery I like a filter...it's all about personal experimentation and preference...

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I gave no filter a try for a few bowls, for now I am a filter user.
One thing I noticed is that I can "taste" the lighter. Does anyone else notice this?

For me it was a show stopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.