PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Smoke shop in my area changed hands with new owners a few months ago. note : Not that it was any better then either . Since then I've been there twice and both times I left scratching my head. The first time a new pipe smoker walked in and asked if he bought a tin of tobacco how should he store it in a zip lock ? The guy behind the counter said yes thats fine and was going to leave it at that . Then I spoke up and said mason jar and the guy behind the counter I could tell had know idea .. Stopped in last night to buy lighter fluid this time different guy behind the counter with his hipster twisted mustache UGH.. I said so you guys doing anything special for tomarrow? For what he said UGH .. Its IPSD .. he had no idea ..said something dumb like well everyday IPSD .. Nice come back . NOT
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
It's still better than having one less person involved in our hobby, right? Tolerance is key, as we should all know, being scapegoats and all. In-fighting is never productive; history has proved this. Just enjoy yourself today, ember. :)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1, Harris. The lack of beating the shit out of people who deserve it is the single biggest blight on our country today.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
You know, I really wish more people would rock weird mustaches. Maybe then the general population wouldn't look like they came out of a Justin Bieber cookie cutter.

For what it's worth, I found out it was IPSD this morning on this forum. And besides, without pipe newbies you wouldn't be able to label others experts.
I doubt either of the clerks you met were the owner, and if you really want to make a positive impact you can get in touch with the owner and push for more in store services, such as local guru, customer network, etc...
Then again, they might not be interested, or you might not have the time, in which case just switch shops.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Or better yet, grow a far superior Russell Crowe stache, walk back in, stare the clerk down, ask for 30 pounds of pure latakia in a duffel bag and after examining his mustache ask him when he intends to celebrate his Bar Mitzvah.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
not angry just wanted to share the some what funny moments.. There are good shops in the pittsburgh area don't get me wrong this one's just the 10mim from house and it's not like I'm going to stop going there either .. One thing I will say is nice about it is that they have a nice smoke lounge and sale alcohol so... winning there I will say

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I've had some experiences like that. Pretty frustrating. I started doing my homework before going into shops early on because you never know who'll be behind the counter.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Come to Allegheny Smoke Works in Blawnox. We are an established and genuine tobacconist with the largest selection of pipes and tobaccos in the area. I am a P/T employee and have no financial interest in the shop. Great place to hang out with other pipe lovers.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
been their once and I was blown away . Met a guy that worked there I believe his name was Kevin? anyway he was very knowledgeable and very cool and I also met the owner who was very cool .

I keep wanting to make it to the monthly pipe get togther but it seems to fall on the same weekend that I have to military drill.. Moon twp Smoke shack is trying to start there monthly pipe get together which Saturday the 27th at 10am I will be at that one for sure

Whats wrong with a ziplock bag? I do it all the time for my rotation.

What Is ISPD? Is this a new blend?

Doesn't sound like a reason to not go back. Everyone has their own way of doing this hobby. We on the forums with our stacks of Mason jars, ISPDs, and bizarre ways, are a minority in the pipe world. Most guys buy a tin or a bag and just smoke it without a single notion of a cellar, jars, or talking about smoking in a forum. Heck, most guys that I know who have smoked a pipe for the majority of their lives, don't even clean their pipes. I had a few guys laugh at me while I was talking about deep cleaning a pipe today. They just smoke them to death, toss them, and buy a new pipe. That's a real codger pipesmoker. Ha ha! Just beat the hell out of them on the side of a trash can is all the cleaning they do. :wink:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Is it mostly a cigar/tobacco shop with pipes just being a side note? I have two pipe shops in my area. The one closest to me is mainly a wine and cigar shop with some pipe stuff. Even under those circumstances the owner is very knowledgable about pipe tobacco and pipes. He's very receptive to all questions. That's a good businessman. The other pipe shop is about 40 miles away, and is outstanding. I'd be there all the time if I were closer. The owner is a pipe smoker, and the shop reflects that. Tons of tins for sale and the lounge is top notch. With online sales these remaining shops should do all they can to keep their customers coming back. My local shops know this and the service is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.