PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not talented when I go to blow smoke rings. Sometimes I can get them and sometimes not. However, when I don't intend to blow smoke rings, sometimes I can't seem to stop. Every time I blow pipe smoke out of my mouth, it comes out in rings. I like the absence of intent, I admit. It's like a rainbow. When I'm doing rings, I'm doing rings, and that's that.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I'll figure out the smoke rings once I can figure out the more amateurish aspects of enjoying a bowl. I look forward to that day!

Jun 27, 2016
Unexpected smoke-rings are the best. If I want to make one guaranteed, I have to cheat and tap my cheek with a mouth-full of smoke.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's kind of like I have a hard time keeping the pipe lit unless I need to go inside. That's when I have the best smokes, when I'm supposed to put it out...funny huh

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It's kind of like I have a hard time keeping the pipe lit unless I need to go inside. That's when I have the best smokes, when I'm supposed to put it out...funny huh
I know what you mean. It seems that when suddenly I have to put my pipe out to go inside everything is perfect and I can't bear the idea of putting the pipe down. Sometimes I do, other times I just take the extra half hour to enjoy my smoke.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I am doing the same thing. I can't really do it when I"m trying. Its aways when I'm not trying that the rings just come out and drift on the wind. Its pretty cool when I get it to work lol.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
This seems to be a theme with pipe smoking in general: the less you worry about it, the better the smoke. Up to a certain point, at least.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have become quite adept at smoke rings. One of the things I wanted to learn when I started smoking cigars and pipes. My record is 17 in a row. My niece and nephew counted them. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the caterpillar in the Disney "Alice In Wonderland" movie who blows smoke rings throughout his appearance. The film is, inevitably, inferior to the book which is a masterpiece, but the caterpillar and the Mad Hatter, and maybe the Cheshire Cat are pretty well rendered in the animation.

Jun 4, 2014
I was smoking the other day and blew a smoke ring for my son, he thought it was great. I do find it easier to blow smoke rings when I'm smoking a cigar.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
sorry to resurrect this thread... but I have smoked cigarettes and cigars on and off (more so off) since turning 18. I have never accidentally blown a smoke ring, but can easily puff them out on demand. Am I missing something here?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Smoke rings, used to blow them a lot while smoking hookah. Besides that, I could do french inhale, ghost inhale, etc. I was looking for someone to teach me this
tumblr_ly168sGIOq1qb787qo1_500.gif

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I taught myself to blow smoke rings when I first started smoking cigs around age 15 or so. Impressed the other teenagers greatly :)
Luckily the skill carries over to pipe smoking. I can always blow nice thick rings.
Too bad I'm so terrible at all the other aspects of pipe smoking. Been smoking 8-12 bowls a day for almost 2 years now, and I still smoke too fast and hot! 8O

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
aquadoc,
best way I can describe is to fill your mouth with smoke and make your lips into an "O" shape keeping your face sort of tight... then you move your jaw in a quick jerk type motion to puff a little smoke out.. I keep my tongue tight to the bottom of my mouth and move my jaw a little. Its hard to explain but you're not actually using your lungs to blow the smoke as much as turning your mouth into bellows if that makes sense.
by the way.. aquadoc... not like the Ohio Pond management people?

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I got stranded one day after my dog turned on my car lights, so I lit a pipe and in the still air of the car, taught myself to blow rings, by the time helped arrived I had it. I need a good heavy smoke to do them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.