PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Has anyone really perfected a smoke ring? I have a friend who's a cigarette smoker claim that he had but when I asked him to demonstrate he couldn't. I just thought it would be a neat party trick. Can anyone give some kind of instruction or tips?

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
When I was a kid a few of us could do it but now I can't manage it. I would like to do them.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have taught myself to do it. I can make 3-5 if there is no wind. I do have to tilt my head back to do it however.

Once I figured it out, I was stoked about it. My wife not so much. LOL.

I cannot begin to explain how to do it.....took me a while to perfect my method.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Yeah, I can make them whenever I want, it took me a while to figure out how but now I can. I agree that it's hard to put into words, you make an o with your lips and kind of push the smoke out with your tongue. It's easier said than done, you just have to practice a lot, blowing a sailing ship out of smoke still has me stumped.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Haha, I think the ship requires a wizard's staff. I was thinking more of a Hobbit type ring. Your explanation is the exact same as my friend's though. I just haven't figured it out.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I tried a long time ago. I made a few and finally decided this is a waste of effort. I am not smoking to impress anyone, and it is turning my relaxation time into work or frustration.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I can do it, but not consistently. Its pretty cool when one ring travels through another and also when the ring crashes into a screen or a something flat and expands and dissipates. I don't think I'll be doing it at parties tho, I kinda make a goofy face when doing it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I grew up smoking cigarettes if you couldn't blow smoke rings you were not cool. I learned by the time I was 13 and can still do it today. I use the snap the jaw method which sends them out pretty far. My kids always want me to show their friends it is pretty funny. The best smoke rings come from cigars, those are real thick.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
The best ones come from a hooka. But I can do about 5 in a row with a pipe. I kind of make an O with my mouth, using my tongue as the middle and you just 'push' them out. Don't force and breathe them out. That's the best description I can give you. Never been able to do with cigarettes tho.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
I use the jaw snap as well. I take the smoke into my mouth only, no inhale, make an "o" with my mouth, and tense my tongue into the center of my mouth. Then I snap my jaw upwards which pushes the smoke out. You can make bigger rings by increasing the "o", or you can make several smaller rings by keeping it small and snapping quickly. Took a while to figure it all out, but that's the way I do them.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I've gotten to the point where I can blow them outside in the wind pretty good. Right now I am working on getting them differint sizes so I can blow one through another one. It's difficult learning new tricks because I am doing it all outdoors. I use a combination of the jaw snap method and the one with the tongue to make them super powerful, this is how they can even stand up to some wind, or fly very far without it.
Yes this is an e-cig video, but it's the best instructional on how to blow smoke rings that I have ever found, he had me blowing them within 30 mins, after I spent a year trying to learn them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXxVT5ylMA

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think the screen name might help with whether I can or cannot lol. I can blow smoke rings as long as it isn't too windy outside. Can't quite do the massively huge Gandalfesque ones some guys do, but I can still blow smoke rings none the less. Only advice is to take a deep puff and the round your mouth and curl your tongue and then give a short quick exhale.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Dead calm is vital for rings. Sometimes I can blow ten in a row and other times I will maybe hit one in five attempts. So, I can blow them, but I am NOT consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.