PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Possibly the slliest question I've ever asked, but because I now smoke about eight times a day and tend to favor certain pipes, I should ask: how many bowls can be smoked from a given pipe in a day before it requires resting? If I smoke a certain pipe 4 times in one day, does it need to rest 4 days or 4 weeks? You got the idea. Please help!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's that darn Cayuga billiard. It smokes so damn well I can't keep my hands off it when I want a smoke. I ordered a couple more from Paul's Pipe Shop that the MetroDetroit Club visited Saturday, and a pair of Cobbits. Which reminds me, I get the idea that cobs don't have to be rested as much as a briar. That's not a problem, because once I get the Cobbits this week, I'll have about 6 cobs. I'm trying to add them into my daily smoking routine, but except for the Cobbits, I'm just not that much of a fan of cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In practice, I smoke a bowl in a pipe and then it gets to rest about a week (or more) just because I have a lot

of pipes and want to keep them all in action. However, I'd have no compunction -- like if I were on a trip --

smoking a pipe four or five times in one day, or eight if that were my habit, and resting it for 24 or 48 hours

and smoking it again. Most briar pipes, and others, dry out pretty fast. It's important that they dry out, but

it doesn't take days and days to do it.

Oct 12, 2014
They can take quite a bit of abuse too. I went camping over Thanksgiving and brought a Stanwell ("Danish design" no less) and the only time that thing wasnt burning was when I was sleeping. 4 straight days of HARD non-stop smoking and it took it like a champ and didnt foul. I started the cleaning of it a few days after I got home and man was that thing filthy. It took what seemed like 3 packs of cleaners and 1/2 a bottle of clean & cure before they swabbed clean. The cake was just piled on.
None the less it smoked awesomely the entire trip and settled the dispute, at least in my mind, that "Danish design" are inferior pipes. They're NOT.
Pipe was a Stanwell 243 Featherweight Brown & the tobacco was G&H Maple Rope & Cotton Boll.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Danish pipes are inferior? Oh my, you can´t be serious...

I tend to smoke a pipe once a day and then let it rest for 24h. But the report of heavy use without any problems is good information indeed!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
IMHO... It'll depend on your location (humidity), tobacco (goopy or dry) and pipe (briar, meet, cob). You get the idea.
Smoke your pipe all day and let it rest for a day and see how it looks. If it seems well, repeat. Just don't forget to give it a good cleaning once a week.

I know a lot of guys who only have one pipe, and they smoke it all of the time. You just have to clean it often. I did this for a while when I first got into pipes. I just cleaned it well with alcohol at the end of the night. But, with some guys they don't even do that. I've had uncles who smoke a pipe till the cake prevents you from putting tobacco in it, and then just toss it into the fire place and buy or make a new one. So, there is clearly no rule or dogma on this. Just personal preferences.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
If you have only one pipe, smoke it all day but clean often. The pipe will tell you if its not happy with this. If you have enough pips to rest a day between smokes, rest it a day. If you have enough pipes to rest it a week, rest it a week. Work with what you have.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use one pipe per day and will burn 12-15 bowls through it. It gets cleaned and put in the rack until it comes up again-usually about 3 weeks or so. I keep 25 or so in rotation.

Oct 12, 2014
"Danish pipes are inferior? Oh my, you can´t be serious..."
Not what I was saying at all. I was commenting on the fact that people have said the Stanwells marked "Danish Design" were inferior to the old ones actually made in Denmark. They are NOT they're great smokers.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I guess I'm doing it wrong, but I don't have a rotation, I have pipes I love or am in the mood to smoke. Sometimes a pipe will get one bowl and a week or two off, sometimes a pipe will get used 4-5 times in a day. If you use one pipe a lot, clean it regularly and well and things should be just fine. Sometimes I feel like we over think this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.