PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
My dad is visiting me and brought some old tinder box tobacco bags that are most likley 25 years old. See a picture of Norse Gold:

iTqQ58c.jpg

It is of course pretty dry, doesn't have much aroma to it. So the question is, should we try to ad moisture to it? Smoke it? Thoughts?

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Lots of advice out there on this topic, but my technique is pretty simple. I use one of the small Ball/Mason jars, so that I can store the tobacco once rehydrated. I place the dried tobacco in the jar, then I cut out a piece of aluminum foil in a circular shape to fit on top of the tobacco in the jar. This does not need to be perfect, as I often just fold up any excess foil once i place it on top of the tobacco. I then tear off a small piece of a paper towel and then dampen it (moist, not dripping water). I then place the moist paper towel on top of the aluminum foil (which in turn sits on top of the tobacco) and then seal the jar. I then check the jar once or twice a day and remoisten the paper towel as needed. It is easy to pull out the foil and mix up the tobacco a bit for more even rehydration. The moist paper towel never touches the tobacco, so this is a low risk method that has worked very well for me. Good luck!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Heck yeah, re-hydrate it. I believe it is a Va/burley blend so I would not expect much in the way of a top note especially at it's age. Store it something more air tight when you're satisfied with the moisture level. Finding super-aged blends is pretty cool so load up and let us know what you think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of smoking seemingly dried up long-gone tobacco, I recently unearthed a small

plastic bag of less than an ounce of English Oriental and thought it would burn like a

firecracker and bite like a snake. While it wasn't like freshly jarred tobacco, it was fine.

Sometimes I think time helps tobacco more than it hurts, or at least, it survives a lot

better than you'd think. I'd even try a pinch of that dried out stuff, just for comparison,

and then humidify the rest as recommended. Don't under any circumstances do the

apple slice routine; this just grows mold. The foil/paper towel routine ought to do the

trick. If not, compost the stuff and it will help your garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.