PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
The sun's not up. The garage door is a wall of black penetrated only by the sounds of soft rain, crickets and rustling leaves. After a charring light the second match is successful. Besides the smoldering ember feeding smoke down the stem there is a wisp of smoke rising from the bowl which the slight draft is feeding right into my face and allowing me to breath it in through my nose. This first light lasts 15 minutes. The Lapsang Souchong at my elbow is now at perfect drinking temperature. When it is gone I pop inside and make a second cup of tea - Earl Grey this time. The outline of the trees are visible now and the birds are awake. The nicotine is upon me. The smoke is getting stronger and thicker and a cloud hangs about my face. I'm tempted to inhale. Maybe I do. Manna from Heaven. The last 20 minutes are the best part. The tobacco is gone - a 90 minute smoke. Is every smoke this good? No. But this is why I smoke a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Finally starting to click, huh? I remember reading your posts about not getting it, or not tasting the tobacco, but sounds like the briar fairies have smiled upon you. Bravo, brother, and happy smoking!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
That sounds awesome. Glad you hung in there and are finding your groove.
+1 on what sthbkr77 said.
Well done indeed. :clap:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rhapsodic! Thanks for the great writing and picture you painted. My morning pipe was very good today, but not quite so elevated!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Stan,

I'm curious to know what pipe you were smoking and what the bowl dimensions are.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
@shikano - It was this Northern Briars Oriental.
oriental-1-600x450.jpg

1.5" x 0.75"

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like a nice peaceful moment in time. Wishing you many more just like it. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's why pipe smokers can be pretty devoted; it takes some doing, but the results eventually can be memorable.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Very nice pipe sir, and glad to hear you finally got what pipe smoking is really about. Congrats.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
A relaxing story, truly. BTW, I always inhale after the light to about halfway through the bowl.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There will always be "epic smokes" like this and they are fond memories. Most of mine have been in the morning too before everyone else is bustling about trying to look important. Solitude, silence and quality tobacco. I think a good dose of Nicotine helps also both calm the mind and inspire it.

Status
Not open for further replies.