PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Good morning, pipers!
I'm on a bit of a quest to find some great tobacco blends for the first bowl or two of the day, whatever time of day that might be. I'm a cigarette smoker who is trying to move over to pipes full-time but just can't seem to shake that first morning cigarette.
We're all aware of Dunhill's excellent Early Morning Pipe, and perhaps "Early Day" from the Villiger 1888 line, but I bet a lot of you have your own blends for that first pipe of the day with coffee so let's hear em!
Lately, my preferences for the first bowl of the day are leaning towards a lighter aromatic or an easier latakia blend, while throughout the rest of the day and into the evening I'm drawn towards Virginias.
I was really happy with Scotty's Milk And Honey in the morning. It's a pretty easy aromatic, but I found it was pretty light on the nicotine to really get me going in the AM. I also couldn't find any of the whiskey flavor that was supposed to be there, to me it felt more like a nice hot earl grey tea. I'm also enjoying Frog Morton right now.
What do you folks think?

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
In my former life as a cigarette smoker the morning smoke on the way to work was my favorite of the day. This week I've been smoking a small bowl of Five Brothers in a cob during the short, 15 minute drive, and it's as close to replicating that experience as I've found.
It's not my favorite smoke of the day but it's a nice little nicotine kick to rev the engines.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Frog Morton Original is a mild latakia blend that I find pairs well with my coffee and is my favorite English morning smoke.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I like burley blends or a light VA. If I have a morning smoke, I usually opt for Solani 633, a VaPer with a good portion of bright and red VAs (good nicotine, too). I also like plainer burley blends like Uhle's Blend 00, a plain burley ribbon. Cornell and Diehl's Burley Flake #2 is another good burley blend for starting the day -- and it actually smells a bit like a cigarette, so that might be just the ticket if you're trying to quit the nails.
Finally, GL Pease Cumberland has a nice, toasty flavor that is great for early in the day, plus it has plenty of nicotine.
Oh, you might also give the drug store blends a try, like Prince Albert or Carter Hall.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like a lat blend of the spicy sort. MacB H&H Vintage Syrian is a fave. Others include McCranie's Highland, and After Hours, from Hill & Hill, my local B&M.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been on a weird aro kick lately and I'm finding that Captain Black Dark has a nice level of nic and the vanilla flavour of the black Cavendish is nice with coffee in the morning. Something stronger is Best Brown Flake which to me pairs really well with coffee. I'm still figuring out the whole flake thing so a ribbon cut is easier for me to smoke while driving.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A good Virginia is my breakfast of choice. Something that is not too nicotine strong gets me going, before my taste buds are all messed up. I smoked some Sterling 1776 Old Dominion this morning. Sometime, I will smoke McClelland 5100, and lately I have been fond of the Capstan Blue Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a lighter tobacco early, usually, but no rules about it. For this purpose, I have some blends

I really enjoy, notably Lanes LL-7, PS Nougat, and Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge and Dark Obsession.

If I'm going for English early in the day, I'd lean toward Nat Sherman 536, which is fully flavorful but

so carefully blended, it makes Dunhill 965 taste a little rowdy. Sometimes I amp it down with

a filter pipe, if that's my mood, but usually not. A churchwarden is another way to cool the smoke a bit.

puffinbilly

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
Germany
Recently Dunhill navy rolls has been my first pipe of the day. They probably fit the bill, a nice mild virginia perique mix.
Bill

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My smoking habits change during the Summer (lighter blends with ice tea). In the Winter I love a good Va flake or Vaper flake first thing in the morning with a cup of strong coffee.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Lately I've been smoking Old Dark Fired as the first bowl in the morning. Otherwise, its usually St. James Flake or Stonehaven to a lesser extent. Every so often I mix it up though and go off the beaten track and smoke 3P's, Jackknife or Triple Play plugs.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I like either a straight Burley or Virginia as a first smoke. Leaves my tastebuds in good shape for later blends with Latakia or Perique.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I enjoy a morning pipe while driving into work each day. Many times, it's Va #1. Sometimes it's Cherry Ambrosia and infrequently lately it's SWR Aromatic.
Mike S.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I'm usually ready for a good stiff nic burst when I wake up so it's something substantial for me, like Irish Flake or something close in strength.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'll second 4noggins "Down by the River" and I also have always really enjoyed Prince Albert with my coffee in the morning. As for the drive to work I have become really fond of Altadis Crown Achievement Match.

Status
Not open for further replies.