Smoke different kinds of blend in the same pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I know you are suppose to have a different pipe for different style of tobacco, and I do mostly. But I find it particularly enjoyable when smoking a rich English blend in a pipe previously flavoured with vanilla and cherry flavoured aromatics. Does anyone else do this sort of thing?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I didn't know that one is supposed to have different pipes for different tobaccos. Is this now an irrefutable fact? Should I be turning in my pipes to the "pipe police?" Is there a fine? Or, goodness me, jail time?
Anything I smoke is going to be smoked in whatever I am smoking. Been that way for 50+ years and I see no reason to change.
It's a preference. Purely a preference! Some need to complicate and immerse themselves in the the pipe so as to enjoy it. Others prefer simply lighting up, leaning back and enjoying. I'm of the KISS inclination. To me, the pipe delivers nicotine and at times a nice respite from the real world.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Yep. Me too.
I smoke what I'm smoking in the pipe that's handy. I've never experienced "ghosting" that lasted more than a few minutes, and generally find it a pleasant reminder of the last thing I smoked.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Most infuriating is that I've been smoking English blends in an Estate Becker where the previous owner smoked something that left a little ghost - and I really like the slight ghosting it adds to the English, but don't know what it was they were smoking in it!

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
For me, and many other people I'll guess, it's anything in any pipe. I'm not gonna be able to tell if a Lakeland was smoked in a pipe I'm currently smoking a pure Virginia in.
There are people who can (when reviewing whiskey, coffee, cigars, tobacco, wine, etc) differentiate between vague flavours that many (me included) can't taste. Depending on the product being sampled, you see all the time:
lots of leather out front with cocao complimenting and slight pepper to the nose with hints of something alternating with notes of something else
These, if they really can recognize and sense very mild flavours, are the people to who it makes a difference in what pipe is used for what blend.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I find that if I'm looking for ghosting I'll find it. If I'm not, I don't seem to notice. I suppose everyone's palate is different, some more sensitive than others.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Great thing about brylon is no cake, so wash'er out and stoke it up!
Another reason to own a brylon....

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Pfft! ... I wasn't aware you were SUPPOSED to... me personally, I'm no highfalutin pinky raised pretentious sort... I work with my hands all day (ok, except when I take a few minutes and I'm here on the forums) and when I get home I tend to the few animals we have,garden/compost bins, trees or work on the house... so I'm busy all day long doing shit. Ive got too much to think about and tend to than to complicate my life even more trying to distinguish what Ive smoked in what and when... I smoke a pipe because I enjoy it, not to make any sort of statement or follow some sort of trend, so I smoke what I like in whatever I like... anytime I like. Ive mentioned before on other threads I take care of my pipes but I take care of them like any other tool I own... I appreciate them for what they are and what it takes to make them... but Im more along the lines of my granddad, they're a tool to get nicotine.

Now don't get me wrong... theres nothing wrong if you want to separate certain pipes for certain tobaccos, or buying some super high end pipe and keeping it for display or even owning 100 pipes, or complicating things to the point you need a manual to enjoy it...hell it takes all sorts in this world... more power to ya! who am I to say your wrong. OK maybe I will say your wrong from time to time... but you ge the jist :P
But for me... again... I'll smoke any tobacco (except aromatics) in any of my pipe at any time. :puffy:

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
In the end it's all about personal taste and smoking however you enjoy it, as many people have said. There are those who treat their pipes and tobacco like meat and dairy, and there are those who's palate does't require such a kosher zeal. Your own preference is what matters.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
When one smokes a pipe it is often a decision of a particular pipe that you might like to smoke and a particular blend, at that moment. That would produce interesting but not always perfect combinations but we are talking about a moment in time here. I have a few pipes that stay "pure" but only because they have a memory history that pairs them up irrevocably until times runs out...

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I do. Have yet to experience any real ghosting. I do have certain pipes I like for certain tobaccos, but I don't have any pipe strictly dedicated to a type.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Last night I tried C&D Byzantium between Dunhill Baby's Bottom above and below. A sandwich smoke. The Byzantium was evident in the flavor from the first draw. Baby's Bottom is a bit mild and I wanted to add some more punch.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ jujitsubowl
Same here. Just wipe it out and stoke it up. My pallet is not that sensitive. Never had a problem with different blends in the same bowl.

P

pipebuddy

I don't enjoy Cross Overs, really. I prefer to dedicate each of my pipes to specific families of tobacos.

Status
Not open for further replies.