PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohemia

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Greetings Fellow Smokers,
I am starting my first toke of tobacco on my new pipe soon, and I intend to do it indoors.
My question for any of you experienced smokers is, what is the safety regarding smoke alarms?
I'm in a basement, and a good 30 feet from the alarm, which is situated at the top of the steps leading upstairs - a fair distance away.
I welcome all thoughts. Thank you.

Timothy

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Since a pipe will smoke for a while, there's a fair chance the alarm will eventually go off.

Open up a window, and sit near it and you should be alright. Or, you could just turn off or detach the alarm while you smoke.
Welcome to the forum!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
My question for any of you experienced smokers is, what is the safety regarding smoke alarms?
I'm in a basement, and a good 30 feet from the alarm

You should be safe at that distance; I've never heard of anyone being hurt by a smoke alarm from that far away :eek:)

bohemia

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Thank you all for your replies.
I believe I will simply sit and smoke and test what happens. Will report back.
P.S. I also heard the idea of placing a plastic bag over the smoke alarm until I finish.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
yes you can place a plastic bag around your detector until you are finished. Just dont forget to remove it! And when I smoke inside I just have a small fan to circulate some airflow and I crack the window and I have never had a problem.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Is your smoke alarm a standalone battery-powered unit, or is it wired into a whole-house low voltage system? If it's the former (and if it's sensitive enough to react to pipe smoke), I'd just pop the battery while smoking. There are new units on the market that have a front-load battery compartment, so you don't have to undo the whole blasted thing to change/remove the battery - and some of them also have "snooze buttons" in case of false alarms (or burnt toast...). I've been replacing our whole-house units with those. If one goes off, they all go off - but if you hit the "snooze button", they all shut off. Handy, that.
I'm still doing all of my smoking outside, but we've burned candles and incense inside for years without setting off the alarm. Usually it takes a culinary incident involving the oven to set ours off...

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I smoke alot in my basement with a wood/coal,burner never had a problem.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You should be OK unless you get a lot of smoke. My study is maybe 12x12 and the only time the alarm goes off is when I fire up right underneath it. Maybe use a fan to help disperse the smoke?

bohemia

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Thank you all for your replies. I've received my tobacco (Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold) in the mail today, and am awaiting

my Luna pipe by Tom Johnson. (You can see my pipe replica here: http://www.lunapipes.com/fantasy/joepipe.jpg)
I wonder why many of you are able to smoke so close to a fire alarm without setting it off? Seems dysfunctional does

it not?
Thanks,

Timothy

craigers07

Lurker
Feb 22, 2012
I believe many detectors will disregard tobacco smoke. I smoke within 5 feet of one and it has never gone off.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I use a plastic shower cap over mine it already has an elastic on it and fits perfectly. You can also buy the ones from Walmart that stretch over tupperware containers. The wife has a drawer full of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.