Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, not really, but in the latest Smithsonian magazine I was reading an article on all the unexploded bomb still in the ground in Germany from WWII. The article was very interesting as I had no idea that after 70 years there were still so many, and why they are still armed! At any rate, I came across the picture below in the article and thought some of you might find it interesting. The gentleman pictured is Hans-Georg Carls, a german geographer who was working on another project and came across a huge amount of ariel photographs that no one knew existed. So now he's working with the German government helping to locate a lot of these bombs.

I thought the meerschaum pipe was pretty cool, a golf ball meer? Also congrats to Smithsonian for posting a pic of someone currently smoking a pipe. They'll probably get some hate mail from the the usual sources...

img_00143-547x600.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Good find Orley, I walked in a Bar in end of the world Mississippi and Lo and behold they had an unexplored Claymore over the Entrance door, as I eased out the bar I told the owner You'd better call the State Police, that thing will kill you. Later I found out he had found it in a box of military surplus at a old Surplus Warehouse, forgot to mention he had it pointed towards the bar and customers. Read later that State Police had exploded it at their disposal faculty and fined the Bar owner. You never know.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Really good find. I have thought for a long time the general German public takes a different view of tobacco than the anti-zealots in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.