Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Hi everyone

I need help from those who have experience with estate meers/calabash. About 10 years ago I bought an estate gourd calabash that had barely been smoked with a meer bowl (I believe block if the sticking finger test can be trusted). I have only attempted to smoke it 6 or 8 times because of the wretched taste. When the meer heats up you can taste what can only be described as old steamer trunk in attic - old canvas/old books/ old leather/ etc...

When I bought it and tasted the foulness, I tried mild soap & water on the bowl. Over the years I got desperate and even wiped the meer part with everclear. Nothing seems to work and whatever neglected storage conditions have permeated the meerschaum with a seemingly permanent stink/taste. Any ideas how I can fix it and make the pipe smokable?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could always contact Tim West about a replacement bowl.
http://www.jhlowe.com/misc-items.htm

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Take the bowl off and take a puff. If the taste endures absent the bowl the funk is in the gourd.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
@chasingembers - Yeah, you're probably right, but if possible I'd like to fix the original
@bigpond - I've done that before and come to the conclusion that it's the meer. Thanks though

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have some meer lined KBB and other pipes, have not experienced any issues with ghosting as yet but the day may come, hope to find a good home remedy for that day.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
These are just guesses (I don't know if it would cause damage, most here would know better than me, get their opinion first!) but maybe covering the whole pipe in baking soda for a few days or contacting Walker pipe repair to see if their ozone machine is safe for your pipe. Good luck.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
If you really want to try to save this pipe, here are a few tips: First you want to determine where the smell is. For one thing, cleaning the bowl with soap and water and Everclear was the wrong thing. That just pushed the funk deeper into the meerschaum and now it has soap in it as well.
To get the smell out of the gourd, alternate 30 minute periods of filling with vodka or Everclear with the ends capped off, then scrub the inside with a toothbrush and a little alcohol left being careful not to get on outside and don't get the cork wet, The alcohol should be turning brown. Rinse with clear water then let dry for several days. Be mindful of the gourd but I have not had any gourds deteriorate while doing this. If after 2-3 times of doing this and the issue is still there, after the alcohol bath, fill the gourd while still wet with fine sand, powdered dry clay or factory dry (same stuff you sprinkle on your floor to soak up oil). Pack it solid and set it aside for a week to continue to dry this way. Then wash out well. No demonic possession can survive this.
For the bowl, pack tightly with sand or factory dry (no clay!), wrap in cheesecloth to hold all together and steam for a few hours. You might even wrap the bowl with the stuff inside and out. Then leave the cheesecloth intact and let all sit out to bake dry thoroughly in the sun or other warm place for about a week. Must be warm place. Do not try to artificially speed up the drying in an oven.
I have never seen this not work. Good luck.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
First off tmb152 is right about the soap/water and Everclear in the meerschaum bowl. You should never use alcohol on meerschaum or anything else for that matter. At most you should just wipe some water on the meerschaum with a towel to clean off any dirt and debris on the outside. For the inside you should use a flat edge knife and lightly scrape any cake build up out of the bowl. Be careful because you can cut into the meerschaum. If you use a traditional pipe reamer be careful because to much force can damage the meerschaum. From there you'll want to fully clean the stem and the gourde.
If the funk is coming from the meerschaum then most likely you'll never get that funk to go away, because of the soap and everclear that were used on it.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
If the funk is coming from the meerschaum then most likely you'll never get that funk to go away, because of the soap and everclear that were used on it.
Couldn't agree more. The soap was a disastrous mistake. If all of the above fails and you want to try further, about the only other thing I can think to do is to put the bowl in water, preferably moving water (changed out every day) and leave it there for a few days. That might encourage the emollients and sulfactants from the soap out. Then let air dry in a warm place for at least a week.
If all else fails, try smoking Lakeland blends in it for a while and see if they can chase away the smell! Maybe at the very least, they will overpower it. :D

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Could always contact Tim West about a replacement bowl.
+1
If you plan on smoking the pipe I can see no logical reason not to change the bowl. However and expert revision of you're pipe may well be in order just to confirm your theory about it being the bowl and not the gourd itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.