PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
A boy travels through a trail of cedars, down a stone walkway, approaching an English cottage. The boy walks up stone steps towards the door, an old man in brown suit, with vest, and bowtie greets the boy. Cigar in mouth, clouds of smoke drifting around his face, under his tweed driver cap. The old man takes the boy's hand and gives him a long awaited embrace. As time unfolds, the boy grows into a man. Selecting a pipe, after an evening meal. The man decides to open a new tin of pipe tobacco never experienced. From the cellar he has selected a tin of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Loading the pipe and upon first light, he finds himself transported back In time, into the arms of that old man. Smoke drifts up to his nose the smell of sweet cedar, molasses, and anise remind him....of the smell of a grandfather.

Reactions: Greatlaker

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Time has a way of bringing us full circle. Sometimes I will catch a hint of a smell from my smoke that turns me back into a boy sitting on my grandfather's lap 40 years ago. Funny how we connect such strong memories to such little things.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Neither of my Grampa's smoked, but I still have distinct memories of how they smelled, especially the one who cut timber and lumber and firewood all his life.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
As a lad I idled away many a summer day watching talented craftsmen turn stick lumber into boats. Those dirt floored boat sheds were filled with the smell of cider shavings and burly pipe smoke. The smell of either will immediately transport me back there. Some smells will always be associated with pleasant memories.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I have a granddaughter who surprised me by saying how much she loved my pipe and how she adores the smell of it on me. She says that whenever she smells the aroma it sings to her of me and of cuddling her Grandad. I only have a few years before my little girl becomes a young woman. She will find another man and share his life. But she will always have that reminder and that memory of me and the moments we share.
Andy

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am throughly enjoying this Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. I will be pulling the lever on some Heinricks Dark Strong tomorrow. I have really enjoyed your post. Yes! the sense of smell does evoke strong memories. Thank you, Sincerely, for sharing yours.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Grandad kind of smells like decomposition, which reminds me... time for a bowl of Old Joe Krantz.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That was really nice, Perdurabo.
My grand-kids are ALL boys and their favorite word right now is "fart".
Therefore, if asked what grandpa smells like, I have a feeling I know the answer! :mrgreen:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My grandfather ran a small tie yard in an even smaller SW Missouri town alongside the MKT railroad track. He always smelled of wood, creosote and SWR that he hand rolled as cigarettes.
I've got his one surviving pipe and favorite ashtray on my work desk and count myself truly blessed.
I don't know how many times I watched him refill his Zippo from a dripping gasoline pump nozzle.
Fnord

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like how people in the past were maniacs who were not afraid of their world. If you filled a Zippo from a gas pump today, the SWAT team and therapists would show up soon after...

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My grandfather smoked cigars, in fact I started smoking cigars with him. If I want to evoke his memory I would choose a 42 ring size double maduro.

Status
Not open for further replies.