Smart Phones

(44 posts)
  • Started 3 weeks ago by mothernature
  • Latest reply from elektronikfreak
  1. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there anyone else who has never owned a smart phone? Just wondering.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own one, but the day I retire, into the dumpster it goes.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

That's all u use for internet use. I don't own a regular computer.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heart disease, wouldn't be without one nor my Apple Watch which is also a stand alone phone.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  5. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Electronic heroin, you mean?

Not no, but hell no.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  6. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case anyone thought I was joking or exaggerating:

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2018/dopamine-smartphones-battle-time/

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From the above:

Studies are beginning to show links between smartphone usage and increased levels of anxiety and depression, poor sleep quality, and increased risk of car injury or death. Many of us wish we spent less time on our phones but find it incredibly difficult to disconnect. Why are our smartphones so hard to ignore?

So, worse than smoking!!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  8. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I switched back to a flip phone, don't miss the smartphone at all

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  9. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not no, but hell no.

Amen to that.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  10. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And there is of course this aspect of the "smart phone" scourge...the selfie epidemic, and the numerous associated deaths and injuries resulting from a combination of stupidity and narcissism:

Then there are the hundreds of other people you’ve probably never heard about who died trying to get the perfect cliffhanger photo. The student who fell 700 feet at Ireland’s iconic Cliffs of Moher in January. The 68-year-old woman who was fatally scalded in a Chilean geyser. The man in his fifties who was struck by lightning while hiking with a selfie pole in the Welsh mountains. The teenage girl swept away by an unexpected wave on a beach in the Philippines.

For each of these recorded deaths, there are also thousands of near misses (misfies?). These include such high-profile incidents as the woman who, in March of this year, allegedly climbed over the barrier at an Arizona zoo to take a selfie with a jaguar and was mauled by the animal;

Selfies have resulted in peloton crashes at the Tour de France and may have contributed to a helicopter crash over New York City in March 2018. According to a report in the New York Times, the pilot, who was the only survivor, told the National Transportation Safety Board that the crash may have occurred because a passenger was trying to take a photo of his feet dangling out the helicopter door—a so-called “shoe selfie”—and might have accidentally hit the emergency fuel shut-off. All five passengers died.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2393419/selfie-deaths

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am STILL ON A FLIP PHONE, have not yet got a smart phone. Holding out as long as I can, but the old flip phone will not be available forever...

It has got to the point where every single person feels the urge to comment when I pull out the phone now, I feel a bit like the last person in town without a smart phone (oh, and smoking a pipe)

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I have a Huawei, it is necessary for work, those Leica lens make wonderful photos.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Never had one. Don't want one.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  14. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

I see people entering and leaving buses without lifting their heads from the little screen.
    People cross streets without looking up even once.
    Cycling and texting in the same time.
    Wearing headphones on the streets.
    Messaging while driving.
    Being reachable and traceable 24/7.
    Everyone has become press photographers.
    Everywhere and at everytime you risk being filmed.
    Constantly being involved in and exposed to advertising and quick social media updates
    messes with your brain.
    People become addicted.

This is not just leading to stress but is also the direct cause of accidents,
    which could have been easily avoided by normal wariness.

There is of course many more aspects to consider within this subject.
    Used wisely and in moderation they may be practical but in the wider perspective I think these gadgets
    create more problems than they solve.

Do we need apps for everything we do in life?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have a cell phone at all, smart or otherwise, but I do use my tablet quite a bit. 99% of my online activity is through this.

I don't think I've ever sent a text message.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  16. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased my first smartphone 5 years ago after our first grandson was born. Mainly for taking pictures...the convenience of not having to lug a camera around. Also, that is when I started texting.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm a tech parasite. My wife has an iPhone, after she hated her Android phone. Much tech frustrates and infuriates me, completely irrational but heart felt. I've gotten as far as a flip phone, which I use about every two weeks to check on details of groceries and such. I don't do computer or video games of any kind. My idea of fun with digital devices is pipesmagazine Forums and the very codgerly email. No texts, instagrams, and sure as hell no facebook, which to me is like cuddling up to the devil. If I could just check the box and choose, I'd like to be aloof about it but adept with technology, to have use of the good aspects and ignore the rest. I've had a long list of hateful experiences with tech, both relating to it directly and related to interpersonal aspects of use. I've lost friends who've disappeared on facebook, which illustrates the reasons for my resentment. I'm a letter writer, snail mail, isn't that dreadful?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  18. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I'll admit my addiction. I never leave the house without my Apple phone or my pipe. Is there a 12 step program to get off?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  19. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My phone is more for the apps available which help in my photography, tides, light angles, moon rise/set, weather forecasts, topography, etc. than communication with other people. These apps mean I have it all in my pocket, readily available as opposed to a small library of "dead tree" books and booklets. Then, again the heart disease, the ability to send emergency communications and to be located based on phone transmissions make the smart phone a necessary piece of equipment. Even when cell service is not available, I have a small library of important information at hand.

I've even sold a couple of shots based on the tiny images of photos I carry on the phone, my mini-portfolio.

I carry a small solar charger in one of my equipment bags to ensure my money making, possibly life saving, weight saving, information full, phone is always operable.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  20. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I've had great luck with my android smart phones over the past few years. Cheap and tough and gives me all the functionality I need. I'm actually waiting for my dentist appointment right now browsing this forum. I try to put it down and enjoy life when there is something worth enjoying but I never have to read boring waiting room magazines anymore with the entire internet available for reading at anytime. I hate some technology but having so much information at my fingertips is not something I'd give up easily.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

Mso, I think it's great that you write letters. Receiving a letter has always been a pleasure for me. They represent a thoughtful gesture, a personal touch and are meaningful. Writing a letter generally means organizing your thoughts and painting a picture with words. When something becomes too easy, like texting, or even firing off a comment on this site, we can make mistakes by being hasty and may regret it after the message is sent.
    Having said that, the mobile phones today are becoming an indispensable tool with so many features at our fingertips. Keeps me in touch and organized. I don't think I could give it up. The landline, however, has bit the dust. So has cable TV. Netflix is now the only television I watch.

Oh, and I use hand-me-down phones that others have tossed in a drawer, chasing the next shiny toy. Consumer waste at its finest.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  22. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've a couple of iPhones, a 4 now turned iPod Touch and off the grid, and a 5S, the one I currently use.

Like with everything, there are pros and cons. So far, I'm willing to put up with the cons, but I don't like the direction these things and tech in general are going, so I try hard not to keep up with the Joneses. I don't want an app for everything, and I don't want to be linking my phone to everything. When I got my current car I looked into installing an alarm/remote opening system: I couldn't because all the ones available used an app; not only no, but hell no!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

Olko, I second that emotion. I have a bit of a suspicious nature, and the fact that some apps have been hacked and your info is vulnerable justifies keeping things simple.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  24. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You betcha.

More worrisome than hackers is the companies that sell the gadgets themselves and the gov't, though; they can bend you over and screw you way worse than any hacker/scammer/spammer. A year or so ago there was the initiative by SGI to have your driver's licence on your smartphone (!!). I was like WTF. Why on Earth would I want crApple, Poogle, or Micro$oft to have a copy of my driver's licence?? Don't they know about me enough already?

Beats me why anyone would want their entire life on their device.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  25. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

They know all about you already down to the size of pants you wear.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far I ain't got no smart phones but keep satisfied with my 90ies Motorola Razar flip phones,and table top computer, all my buddies at work+my mom keep mocking at me why You ain't gotten no smart phone,You should have one,all people round have them and so on'I don't need web services on my phones yet that very service runs quite expensive ,monthly package incl.internet connection + free calls is like $20 per month,and all those smart phones looks so clumsy in use.Figuring what would happen if I'm going back to land lines and toss all them cell phones to dumpster.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  27. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We had a land line until maybe a year ago, internet phone was much much cheaper.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  28. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I won't be making friends or influencing people here ...

I've been carrying one version of iPhone or another since 2007; my employer at the time gifted one to all full-timers (and many part-timers) shortly after they launched. I've since paired mine with an Apple Watch. I'm lazy enough that I don't mind being reminded to get off my butt once in a while, do deep breathing exercises, and take an extra brisk XX-minute walk before retiring for the day.

As far as the paranoia about personal data and analytics: They're all completely justifiable. Be careful what you install, be careful what you use, read the agreements and watch your apps' settings.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I finally got an IPhone but had to be dragged kicking and screaming. My old phone an LG with a keyboard croaked. I went to my local Best buy with my 2 daughters expecting to replace my phone with the same thing. Best buy had none of those old phones so my daughters talked me into a iphone 7.0 with the largest screen. After a while of trying to understand how it works, I got used to some of the more basic function.

The navigator function is probably my favorite.
    I really like the Uber app and like the built in navigator.

Harris
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  30. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

be careful what you use, read the agreements and watch your apps' settings.

And understand that with a wee expenditure and a minimal knowledge of the internet I can know more about you than you know about yourself. Things you've forgotten or, wish to forget, what you download/upload, sites you visit, credit card numbers, I can get a copy of your birth certificate, driving record, what cars you've owned over the years, your credit rating, utility costs, mortgage, previous addresses, military records, and more. It's all just laying around for the picking, some well protected ... some ... not so much.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  31. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one. But I don't use it to its potential. Don't care too.

Jason
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  32. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One afternoon late wife had gone to Bingo, I was on porch, a dove was by me in the tree, I found bird calls on my IPHONE and dialed it in. The dove started singing, cardinal and blue jay started chirping, crow started cawwing, I had me a little bird symphony going. Buddy my dog liked it too.i smoked away.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Merlin? (An app that'll do bird IDs and calls)

I use my iPhone X extensively. Just about everything but gaming. "Don't leave home without it!"®

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  34. piperbole

piperbole

Login to Send PM

As a millennial I'm attached to my phone hook line and sinker.
    My alarm even reads me the news.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  35. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a millennial I'm attached to my phone hook line and sinker.
    My alarm even reads me the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CeiPJaHuoQ

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  36. piperusak

piperusak

Login to Send PM

I fully use my smartphone for business

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  37. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's made teaching a nightmare. Kids would rather get suspended than give up their phone.

The kicker: 2 months ago, I was at a stop light. I gazed over to the side of the road and saw six people doing road construction.... Four of them were on their phones. This included the worker who was directing traffic at a busy intersection.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  38. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

LMAO, lasttango!

That's a sad statement on the 21st century, now that it takes 6 construction workers to not get the job done - in the old days it took 5 leaning on their shovels and 1 to supervise; now it takes 4 to frap about with their smart phones, 1 to lean on a shovel (soon to be an app for that - a "virtual shovel" I suppose) and 1 to supervise.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  39. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own one but I turned all the tech stuff off on it so it is purely a device to make and receive calls. I had a Crackberry with roller ball for years but they changed the frequency and it wouldn't work. Shame really as I bought five on them brand new on Ebay. If Crapple ever bring out with a rotary dial cell phone in bakelite I would probably buy it immediately.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  40. coffinmaker

coffinmaker

Login to Send PM

41. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

Condor, I've been using a Blackberry for about 6 years now. I'm not really sure what you mean about the frequency being changed and yours not working. This past weekend, my buddy gave me his old Blackberry Classic that he had sitting in his drawer. I should be good for another 10 years or so, now. Texting and phone calls primarily. Only 250 MB of data for emergency bids on fleabay when I'm not near a PC.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  42. elektronikfreak

elektronikfreak

Login to Send PM

I bought my first smartphone this Spring, a used one by a girlfriend. A Samsung Galaxy S6. But I haven't put any SIM-card in the phone yet. Use the phone only at my WiFi. Prefer still my old Siemens ME45 and M65.

My first post btw.

Information is not knowledge... Knowledge is not wisdom... Wisdom is not truth... Truth is not beauty... Beauty is not love... Love is not music... Music is the best! *** Frank Zappa 1940 - 1993 ***
    Posted 4 days ago #
  43. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome!

Posted 4 days ago #
  44. elektronikfreak

elektronikfreak

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much!

Posted 4 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mumbles, tnfan, weezell, alaskanpiper, tulsagentleman, draco, skeeter456, georged