PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I at the young age of not quite 72 decided after much thought that I should learn to text.The very nice fella at the phone company laughed when I asked him to show me how to text.How long have have you had that thing he asked as he pointed at my phone.5 years I said.So I now have a new smart phone,and I'm trying to figure out how to use it.I forsee a few more trips to the phone company before I feel comfortable using this new fangeled high tech gadget.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
If I may, an iPhone or an Android phone? One of those is easier to navigate than the other, though once you get used to either it's easy. My mother is 59(?) and my brother and I are still teaching her how to do things on it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Congrats on the new phone Puffy. There is always a learning curve when you get a new phone, it doesn't matter how much "tech" experience you have. Good luck on the journey, and remeber not to throw it as they tend to be pretty delicate :)

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Congrats. I'm only 38, and just last week got the new Blackberry Q10. I couldn't be happier. Best business phone I've ever had. I used blackberry's ever since the Pearl, but for almost two years had an Android phone. Droid RAZR max. I hated every second of using that phone. I cannot, nor probably ever will, get used to touch screen typing. Trying to type clean business emails was next to impossible. I would always hang up on people because my cheek would touch the "END" on the touch screen.
I sincerely hope you didn't get an Android phone. I-phone's or Blackberry is much, much better and easier to use.
For me, a phone is just a tool. Like my pipe. Want it to simply work when I need it to. I'm glad there's no apps for Blackberry. Keeps things simple.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Puffy, toss it away!
I have an iPhone only because it is required by my workplace so that I can check emails while I am at home, on vacation or at someone's funeral. I can never leave the office, so to speak.
When I retire, which isn't too far in the future, I will gladly toss my smartphone in the bayou!
BTW, my daughter gave me a 55inch Samsung Smart TV two Christmases ago. I said to her, "What is a smart TV and can I program it to where my team never loses"? She laughed and said that I could watch Netflix without a router. I said, "What's a Netfix and what's a router"?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My father-in-law is in his early 80's, and now that he's living by himself, my wife made the offer to put him on our cell phone family plan. Saves him money, and got him an upgraded phone with unlimited texting - so once my wife showed him how to send and receive texts, they've gotten in the habit of texting each other a couple of times a day, just to check in. And if we don't get one by a certain time, we know to swing by and check to see what's gone wrong... :wink:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to say my iPhone is pretty easy to use. I do like being able to answer emails anywhere. A lot of my work is done via email, so it affords me a little more mobility being able to answer/make emails from anywhere. I also love the camera on it. Took me a little while to get used to typing on the touch screen, but after a while it gets pretty easy.
Hope you learn your new phone as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.