Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Gentlemen,
I might be wrong but it seems this pipe has recently celebrated its century. The specific construction of the button says that the pipe is really old, the beginning of the XX century or at least - pre WWII. It has no COM what as far I learned was possible in the period of 1910-1915 when Peterson patent has already expired but they didn't stamp "Made in Ireland" yet. The stinger is made of plastic (caoutchouc, rubber?), I've never seen such before but the material looks very similar to vintage electrical wiring isolation. Any comments, ideas, suggestions are sincerely welcome!
IMG_2414_zpsgknikboa.jpg

IMG_2415_zpsphvjqkgh.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsoa9ffsf9.jpg

IMG_2425_zpssom4i2m4.jpg

IMG_2432_zpsequsyoy2.jpg

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
That looks awesome for 100 years old! I have a yello bole that is pushing 85, I'm still like wow when I hold it. I have a 406 de luxe with a similar but shorter stinger.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Thank you, jdhayes,
It's really amazing, some of pipes are older than my grandparents :) It's the fantastic phenomen!
Yes, this construction looks very similar to mine, but shorter and made of metall. Which period your pipe belongs to?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That is cool! Never seen that kind of stinger/tube before -- is it supposed to be a straight "system" configuration like on the #31?

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Mine is a "Made in the Republic of Ireland"and is a P-Lip. My stinger also screws out. I need to do a little work on it. The stinger does its job, makes the pipe gurgle but I cant pass a pipe cleaner through it, I think there is a bur or something catching the end of the pipe cleaner and I cant unscrew the stem while smoking unlike a kaywoodie to flick it. And holy run-on sentence batman! Sorry. too much COFFEE this morning!

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
is it supposed to be a straight "system" configuration like on the #31?
Not sure, there's quite standard drilling of the air hole. But anyway thank you for yor suggestion! :)
IMG_2616_zps8lt3dvqy.jpg

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
too much COFFEE this morning!
No problem, there's already 5.45 PM in Kyiv and I am going to have another one cup of coffee today :)))
In my case there's no issues to put a cleaner, everything is fine and comfortable. Perhaps there's really a bur or something like this in your 406.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a very interesting shape, with the nomenclature and button, your date sounds correct.

Mark Irwin told me those old stingers (known at Peterson as the "chimney") were made of bone

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
That's a very interesting shape, with the nomenclature and button, your date sounds correct.

Mark Irwin told me those old stingers (known at Peterson as the "chimney") were made of bone
Thank you! That's exactly I've looked for.
Yes, most probably it's bone stinger, I was just a bit confused with it and forgot about simple natural materials :)

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
That wasn't a complicated case. Just some cleaning, deoxidizing and slight refresh of the finish. I wish all god pipes were of such a great condition until their century
Before:
s-l1600_zps5vy4nylk.jpg

s-l1600%202_zpscub2y5cu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.