PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Hi all - Being relatively new to pipes, I am trying as many different tobaccos as I can. I buy a 50 g tin every couple of weeks, and it is always something new. Since I only smoke 7-10 bowls per week, and thanks to the advice of folks on this forum, after I crack the tins, I jar the tobacco for good keeping. Most of the jars I have seen are bigger than what I need. I found these great little wide-mouth mason jars from Ball that are perfect for 50 g, and only cost a little over a buck a piece. If you haven't seen them before, here you go. I'm going to attempt to post my first pic. I hope I understood Lawrence's instructions.

Peace,

Bill

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Thanks rothnh. I think I may have set photobucket privacy settings wrong the first time.
These little jars were only $4.97 for a four pack at Walmart. They're just called Wide Mouth Half Pint Jars - Collection Elite Design Series.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I love those size jars. Great for keeping my tobaccos in rotation. They will hold 100g of flake nicely. I also use them for single tins that I open and smoke from occasionally. The only drawback is they do not stack well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the ½-pint upright jars a little better for stacking, but you can't beat the extra wide mouth for practicality.

You can also store tobacco in opened tins if you rub some wax around the rim and press some aluminum foil over it before

you replace the plastic snap-on lids. Admittedly not as good as a Mason jar, but it does work.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I agree they aren't great for stacking. Sure can't beat the price! Good to know on reselling tins!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I got several of those. I like em. Gotta figure out a way to stack them tho

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I just got some of those same small Ball jars from my Hardware store a few days ago - I'm glad to see that others are going for them too. I originally went for them thinking they would be perfect for a tin of flake, but a 50g tin of flake doesn't quite fit.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Yes I agree these smaller jars are great. I keep about a dozen of them in my rotation. That way I can enjoy a good variety of tobaccos without having to open my bigger jars. This helps to keep my tobacco from drying out & allows it to age without a problem . Great little jars indeed. Thanks for the pic !

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I agree with pipesicle - great looking, don't stack well. My wife was browsing at the local Goodwill and found some great wide mouth jars that stack well and were only 29 cents each - she bought the lot, brought them home and sterilized them in bleach water. Now all I have to do is fill them. Peck's cellar is my inspiration.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have several size of Mason jars. Some hold a pound comfortably, the pint jars hold 4oz nice. The 1qt and 2qt jars hold a good amount as well. I just cant remember. The small stubby ones are nice for an oz or two.

nismo270r

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Northern KY
I have a few of the 8oz elite design Ball jars like in Billp's original post. Best way I have found to stack them is after they're filled, just stick them back in the box they came in. Then I just write on the top of the box what blends are in that particular box. I have the same issue with tons of open tins. I've been using mainly the 8oz small-mouth jars for most things and the 4oz quilted jelly jars for smaller quantities. I wish they made a regular 8oz wide-mouth jar. The elite ones are nice, but like everyone has said, they just don't stack for crap!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I love the 2oz. wide mouth jar. They are perfect for what I do. I open a 50 gram and dump it in one of those babies and I am good to go.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I wish I would have saved the boxes. My jars fall over if I'm not careful pokin around my cellar. Good idea, tho.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I also very much like the latch-top (instead of screw-top) canning jars because you see

immediately if they aren't sealed. I have some of both. For larger quantities, I go with

the latch-top. Also, you don't have the two-part lid, so there's less to handle. Either

way, they keep the leaf fresh, as nothing else can.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I just picked up some of these. Thanks so much for pointing them out to me. I'm using them to store ~50gm amounts of tobacco purchased in bulk to prevent it from drying out. keeping them in the box seems like the perfect solution to preventing them from drying out. I wonder if it would be possible to find or make a tall coaster holder to stack these in. Something like the image below, but tall enough to keep about 4 of the jars.
Coaster_Holder_LG.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I put my "littles" in blue plastic boxes that I got at Walmart. They sit approx 4" H x 11" W x 14" L and come with a snap on lid so that I can stack them.
I can get 8 of the short "Fatties" in the box or 9 of the regular wide mouth 1/2 pints. Since I don't have an extensive cellar I am able to label the boxes, Summer, Fall, Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.