Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
been looking into tobacco storage solutions
looking for something pretty cheap. also none of my blends are over 3oz really
so i was thinking spice jars, does anyone have any creative ideas on tobacco
storage? The english blends I have been gifted are starting to make the small apartment
smell, i will smoke them, but its really smellin up the place.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
From what I've been told jars work well for long term storage. Spice jars might be a little small though. I've also heard here that tupperware works for tobaccos that you plan on smoking in the near future.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Not exactly a creative solution, but regular canning (mason) jars work fine for long or short term storage. Most grocery stores or Walmart/Kmart type stores sell them by the case in a couple different sizes at fairly inexpensive prices. I think the ones I have are pint size and I can easily fit 3.5 to 4 ounces of tobacco in them and still have a little room for air at the top.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
. I think the ones I have are pint size and I can easily fit 3.5 to 4 ounces of tobacco in them and still have a little room for air at the top.
exact size i was looking for...

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I went to a bunch of thrift stores here in Dayton and found tiny little 2 oz jars that seal in all different shapes and sizes. They work well for various little 1-2 oz samples I try, and they fit great in one of my cabinets. I think I paid about 30 to 40 cents each.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
found tiny little 2 oz jars that seal in all different shapes and sizes. They work well for various little 1-2 oz samples I try, and they fit great in one of my cabinets. I think I paid about 30 to 40 cents each.
Amazing, stores like dollar general or something?

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
I use the 10 and 20 oz emma jars from Walmart...I think they cost $2-4.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Emma-Jar-with-Glass-Lid/16504523
I know the ounces don't jibe with your request, but those emma jars might be talking volume, while I assume that tobacco is sold by weight? Because for comparison sake, a 10 oz emma jar will hold a regular tin of tobacco with a little room at the top, while the 20 oz one will hold one of the bigger tins, like the Peterson Specials or Christmas blends. Whereas I got an 8 oz bag of Lane 1Q and half of the bag (4 oz) filled up a 20 oz jar. I know there is a conversion formula somewhere! hehe
They have the seal around the lid so I've never had any issues with tobacco not keeping. Plus, I can stack them and they look nice on the shelf. Especially after I made my own labels for all of them, utilizing the label art as much as possible.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I got these at Walmart, pardon the cell phone pic, and they are perfect for small amounts. (I put a small baggie of RLP-6 in there just to illustrate...) I love the lid.
jars_zpsba643361.jpg

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
I got these at Walmart, pardon the cell phone pic, and they are perfect for small amounts. (I put a small baggie of RLP-6 in there just to illustrate...) I love the lid.
DUDE!!! Love those kind of clasps

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
after I made my own labels for all of them, utilizing the label art as much as possible.
What are you using for labels?
I would want labels to come off easy if possible in case i change the contents of the jar

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
I buy my mason jars at Family Dollar Stores -- $7.50 for a case of 12, with tops, 8 ounce size. And you don't have to wash new jars (at least I never have).
sounds perfect... i think we are headed to HEB (texas grocery store chain) and ill take a look around

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
@mkvillaire- They do. There's a rubber seal around the lid. It clamps pretty tight too.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'll second Aaronbrill, Jared. Grab a case of the small Ball jars at Wal-Mart. You get 12 for a ten dollar bill and they're complete with screw tops and lids. Labeling is easy: surgical tape and a Sharpie.

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
What are you using for labels?
I would want labels to come off easy if possible in case i change the contents of the jar
Previously I used computer address labels, but I noticed the colors never really came through on those since the paper isn't really meant for that...they would look dull and bland. Also, because of the smaller size, I had to really compress the layout of the label. Not to mention, when I'd remove the labels, I'd always have gummy, stick residue to contend with. Goo Gone would do it, but still it was annoying.
So I got the idea to just print them out on some matte photo paper. That would allow me to make the size bigger too, and the color reproduction would be much better. I attach them using three strips of double-sided tape. Thus far it's been pretty forgiving for repositioning, and doesn't leave much goop.
I have the combination of being anal retentive and liking things labeled and organized, while also really liking old poster and advertising art, whether it be movies, food, travel, or in this case tobacco. Some I made up using various elements since they came in bulk bags (namely the McClellands and the 1Q). The little text you see is the descriptive text either from the tin or from tobaccoreviews since it's hard to remember the components of all.
Here's an example of a sheet I printed out (keep in the mind the actual size of that image is for an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper...it's been down sized for here):

printed-sheet-1-463x600.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have some of those Walmart glass jars with the rubber seals and the seals are only good for about 7-8 years before they go bad. I use the large plastic walmart jars with the silicone seals for long term. They are not cheap they are 7-8 bucks each for the large one, but those seals last much longer, 12 years and counting on mine. They also hold 2 pounds of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.